Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ] 
noobatron365
Post subject: Yugoslav Navy - Initial designsPosted: November 5th, 2015, 3:30 am
Hey, so I basically am just checking to see what I can do better here. I only recently found out the "Shipbucket Trick", where you set antialiasing off and set pen size to 1(seriously, my friend had me convinced that you guys use MS paint). Lemme know what you think! Personally, I can see now that a little more detail would not go unappreciated.

It is 1927.

So in the alternate history scenario we're playing, Yugoslavia also contains Bulgaria and Albania following the first world war. It's current issues is the Treaty of Neuilly, which prevents the Bulgar military from being any more than 20,000 men - it also stops naval production and use, as well as aircraft production. As you might imagine, Yugoslavia, being an ally to the western powers, was somewhat cheesed that they were promised a strong Bulgaria when they actually got a weak Bulgaria. Thusly, Bulgaria's military is being headed under the Yugoslav military under the "Bulgarian defense division", as to create a loophole with which we can create a Bulgar military that is actually powerful.

However, the Yugoslav navy receives the least funding, especially having to split the funding almost 3-1 with the Coast Guard. Thus, it is made out of a cruiser, several frigates and several corvettes/light boats. In addition, Yugoslavia has been taking concepts that the early space travel theorist ideas have been coming up with, involving pulse jets and oxidizers to create a well funded and quite advanced rocketry sector.

[ img ]

The Nis Class Patrol Boat. Carries a 120mm dueling gun, two 20mm cannons in railing mounts on either side and two 8mm IS machineguns on either side on the railing. Main power comes from four 6 cylinder 1000hp engines. It is also available with a four-tube 210mm rocket launcher loadout and a 4x 37mm Polish Autogun loadout. The 4x 37mm model is used by the coast guard to sink pirate vessels.

[ img ]

Nis with 4x 37mm guns.

[ img ]

Nis with 4x 210mm rockets or "Air Torpedoes".

[ img ]

The Radevina class tender both carries two 120mm dueling guns and a 4x 37mm turret, but also has full banks of machineguns on either side, which includes six 20mm cannons, 3 per side. It's both capable of main line Frigate roles, but also Seaplane Tending.

(lemme know what I can improve upon!)

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: Yugoslav Navy - Initial designsPosted: November 5th, 2015, 3:55 pm
Hi noobatron (incidentally, cool name)

The first thing I'd ask is what scale you are intending to use? Your 41 metre boat is 319px long, which would equate to 159.5 feet using SB scale, about 49 metres rather than 41. From the looks of the ship this affects the size of the rest of the ship a little, so I'll leave this particular bit there for clarification.

The second point is about the rudder ... the has to provide a leverage point to turn the entire ship when the rudder is in use, I'm not sure the supports that you have shown would function correctly - as an example:

[ img ]

Note that this ship is a little bit shorter than your shortest design but still has the rudder built into the hull.

Thirdly, your ship has a lot of hull below the waterline - now I'm not an expert on this by any means (we do have several here, I'm just not one of them ;)) but I think that'll result in a couple of things: firstly, more water than normal washing over the sides of the ship at high speed; secondly, a "stiff" ship, that is one that has harsh roll characteristics.

I see a lot of thin, narrow funnels ... wouldn't it be better to trunk them into a bigger funnel?

I'd be wary of placing rockets directly in front of the bridge for fear of severely damaging it.

I think that's it for the moment, I've deliberately not commented on the specified weapon loadout as I'd imagine that's contingent upon AU background.

Regards,
Adam

EDIT: Oh, and yes, some of us do use MS Paint - if you take a look in the non-shipbucket section, you'll see Rurik-2's drawings, and I think those are pure mspaint and an ungodly amount of skill...

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: Yugoslav Navy - Initial designsPosted: November 5th, 2015, 6:10 pm
Welcombe :D,

Some do use MS Paint (me included) its fine till you start wanting to do complicated layers.

I would suggest you should try,
- using real weapons from the weapons sheets. (and you can always change them later for your own)
- you also use the template for a background and even start by comparing it with real hulls/paint colour.

Anyway keep making more!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only”

Jump to: