Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ] 
battleship lover
Post subject: I'M BACK!Posted: December 1st, 2015, 2:23 am
So Hi guys im back. I have been inactive for along time and im here to try it again and hope that i can stick around this time. What I have for you guys to look at is a air superiority destroyer.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/battl ... titled.png

Please provide me some constructive criticism and tell me if the ship has any use. The ship has a 5 inch stealth gun, a bofors 57 mm gun, 2 Mk 49 RAM, 2 goal keepers, 21 VLS, and 26 "semi" VLS

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: I'M BACK!Posted: December 1st, 2015, 10:22 am
Hi Battleship lover.

A couple of queries:

It looks like you've got two complete, yet separate guidance systems on there - you've got SMART-L and APAR, which (though I'm not an expert) I understand to be a complete system, yet you've also got SPY antennae and SPG-51, also a complete system. Bear in mind that missiles will normally be compatible with one or the other but not both, I suspect you'll find one of the systems is redundant.

Further, your forward SPY antennae are mounted quite low - this has a couple of adverse effects - firstly, I suspect it'll be getting hit by waves in heavy weather, but perhaps more importantly, how far the radar can see is in part determined by how high up it is. You may find that you're unable to identify threats in time to engage them if the radar is that low.

Regarding weapons fit, Id query RAM and Goalkeeper and your aft weapon, is that a stealthy-mount 40mm, I think? (EDIT: no, reading comprehension, this is a 57mm - still capable of serving as an AA gun, though...) This would seem a little excessive. Is your aft VLS as high as it is to clear the ship's machinery? If so, fair enough, if not, might want to look at moving VLS, quite a heavy system, as low as possible for balance reasons.

Lastly, I know it's an air-defence destroyer, but no helo? I'd think that'd give you valuable flexibility...

Regards,
Adam

[Profile] [Quote]
battleship lover
Post subject: Re: I'M BACK!Posted: December 1st, 2015, 11:59 pm
oh okay. I saw a lot of examples of SMART-L and APAR being used together and thought that it would be reasonable. Also do you have any problem with my "semi" VLS launchers? And finally I just want to know but why is it so heavily recommended to put a helicopter on a ship. they cant do much but carry torpedoes if they want to attack a ship and are slow and can easily be knocked out of they sky with any CIWS even machine guns

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: I'M BACK!Posted: December 2nd, 2015, 6:36 am
not a bad start...... however ship design wise a lot is still off indeed.
APAR + SMART-L is an dutch designed system design to guide ESSM and the standard missile series. AEGIS is an US designed, somewhat older system that does effectively the same thing. however, while APAR+ SMART-L is a lot newer, AEGIS is still the best of the best against saturation attacks. in my opinion, with this amount of VLS cells, AEGIS is kind of wasted, but the norwegians have it on an primarely ASW ship these days so it is your decision. choose one though, because the large bulk of the AEGIS system means that your ship might be too small too house all the systems you have on board now

your hull seems a bit low in freeboard, so the ships strength and the dryness of the vessel will not be very good. adding sponsons to that already low hull for your goalkeepers is an very bad idea! try to look a bit into the real designs and never build design sections at what real ships are dimensioned like, and what shape their hull is.

in the parts sheet section of this forum there is an thread, belowdecks parts, that shows the internals of the weapon systems you have placed on board. you will find out when you look there, some do not really fit.

btw, semi-VLS, does that mean diagonal VLS or something? do note (if it is diagonal) that while there is nothing stopping it from working, something at an 45 degrees angle takes a lot more space (draw a square around a diagonal line to see in what space you can effectively nothing else) and the only advantage whatsoever would be that the VLS cells do not go as deep into your lower hull. giving your ship higher freeboard would solve that issue.

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: I'M BACK!Posted: December 2nd, 2015, 4:34 pm
battleship lover wrote:
And finally I just want to know but why is it so heavily recommended to put a helicopter on a ship. they cant do much but carry torpedoes if they want to attack a ship and are slow and can easily be knocked out of they sky with any CIWS even machine guns
Since nobody has talked about it helicopters are needed for lots of stuff,
- carry ASW torpedoes and sensors far from mother ship
- fire anti shipping missiles (short or long range)
- scout over the horizon
- boarding ships and policing
- troop transport
- medical evacuations
- resupplying at sea, getting mail, etc
- transporting the captain to meetings :lol:

the helicopter is one of the most useful part of a ship especially in peace time just look at how many modern ships don't have at least a pad if not one or two hangars as well.

[Profile] [Quote]
battleship lover
Post subject: Re: I'M BACK!Posted: December 3rd, 2015, 4:09 am
OHHH..... Got it thanks! :mrgreen:

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only”

Jump to: