Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
olekit24
Post subject: Spanish protected cruiser Extremadura, 1902Posted: February 13th, 2016, 7:33 pm
I have tried to make in as close to original, as possible. But there are too few photos...

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Spanish protected cruiser Extremadura, 1902Posted: February 14th, 2016, 9:49 am
Welcome aboard Olekit and a very impressive first drawing!

Just some notes on the hull shading;

*From what I can see it looks like a stereotypical cruiser stern that will require some degree of shading
[ img ]

*The shading of the deck overhang forwards of the bridge is a tad extreme and suggests a serious overhang, possibly 30-40% of the shading height would be ample to demonstrate the shape.

*The underwater bow shading is a little off, the ram complicates it a tad, might I suggest you look at this image which is a very similar ship of the same type/size/age https://www.dropbox.com/s/rbeyy7zgqu395 ... 0.png?dl=1

Also might want to study the shape of the prow, doesn't look like it's quite vertical at all, rather a smooth curve that nearly reaches vertical

Other than those things its a fine start and I look forwards to more from you!

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Spanish protected cruiser Extremadura, 1902Posted: February 14th, 2016, 10:05 am
Welcome aboard! This is a very fine first entry into shipbucket.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
olekit24
Post subject: Re: Spanish protected cruiser Extremadura, 1902Posted: February 14th, 2016, 10:32 am
Rodondo, thanks a lot for your notices. Yes, shades are the most difficult thing for me now. They are not seen at the photos of the 1900-s... And there are no any blueprint of that ship, so, all shapes I draw intuitively.

I've edited my drawing in accordance with your comments:

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
maomatic
Post subject: Re: Spanish protected cruiser Extremadura, 1902Posted: February 14th, 2016, 10:47 am
A very nice first post! Looking forward to see more of your work.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Spanish protected cruiser Extremadura, 1902Posted: February 14th, 2016, 10:14 pm
Very nice first drawing indeed! And it's pleasing to see something, alas, so rare as a Spanish protected cruiser! I'm pleased to see that you found the Victorian boat sheet; I think with this Vickers (Sir William White) design it is extremely fitting! As for the shading, I believe Rodondo might have implied that you should take the shading down, below the boot topping, and you can use the stern of the HMS Chester or any other typical British CL to guide you there.

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Spanish protected cruiser Extremadura, 1902Posted: February 15th, 2016, 6:10 am
Welcome to The Bucket, really nice work there already.

One thing you should check out is the overlapping black lines/pixels like in the masts. Always try to do it with 3 pixels, two black for the outlines and one colored in between.

Cheers
Golly

[Profile] [Quote]
olekit24
Post subject: Re: Spanish protected cruiser Extremadura, 1902Posted: February 15th, 2016, 5:36 pm
bezobrazov, Gollevainen, спасибо за рецензию )

[Profile] [Quote]
olekit24
Post subject: Re: Spanish protected cruiser Extremadura, 1902Posted: February 15th, 2016, 5:37 pm
Gollevainen wrote:
Welcome to The Bucket, really nice work there already.

One thing you should check out is the overlapping black lines/pixels like in the masts. Always try to do it with 3 pixels, two black for the outlines and one colored in between.

Cheers
Golly
I have tried...

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Spanish protected cruiser Extremadura, 1902Posted: February 15th, 2016, 5:57 pm
If you have tried, just try some more! It's happened to all of us - finally we almost always find a solution that will satisfy most critical eyes. You can do it!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 14 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: