Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »

What should be the next variant of the MLX-4 be?
Poll ended at May 14th, 2016, 2:47 am
Anti Ship Warfare  0%  [ 0 ]
Anti Ground  0%  [ 0 ]
Coastal Defence  0%  [ 0 ]
Other  100%  [ 2 ]
Total votes: 2
Hexelarity
Post subject: MLX-4 NEW GENERATIONPosted: May 12th, 2016, 2:46 am
Kruger Corporation presents the MLX-4 NG, the MLX-4 is armed with a Goal Keeper CIWS Weapon system and 4 20MM Guns and 1 Main and 4 Harpoon Cruise missle Systems. The MLX-4 is an effective Ship for defending coasts or attacking other ships. The MLX-4 has a maximum speed of 40 MPH, and has a weight of 2,000 TONS. The MLX-4 is a new generation ship of Kruger Corp. The MLX-4 has a cost of 200 Million. And development is still occuring on the MLX-4 to improve it. New Variants will be created.

[ img ]

MLX-4 Stock Version

Credit given to creators of Equipment sheet, royal navy sheet, radar sheet, SSM Missle sheet, CIWS sheet, and Small calibre sheet. Thanks for providing these sheets so that i and many other people can make ships :)

Last edited by Hexelarity on May 12th, 2016, 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
reytuerto
Post subject: Re: MLX-4 NEW GENERATIONPosted: May 12th, 2016, 4:43 am
Hi Hexel:
I am not an engineer, but you will need lots of power for moving a 7000 ton ship at 40 kts, in a single screw hull. The general shape is better but still topheavy. Any air defence missile system? Cheers.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hexelarity
Post subject: Re: MLX-4 NEW GENERATIONPosted: May 12th, 2016, 4:46 am
reytuerto wrote:
Hi Hexel:
I am not an engineer, but you will need lots of power for moving a 7000 ton ship at 40 kts, in a single screw hull. The general shape is better but still topheavy. Any air defence missile system? Cheers.
Is 7k tons a little too much?

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: MLX-4 NEW GENERATIONPosted: May 12th, 2016, 5:13 am
Hmm, just a few pointers.

Things all warship need, mooring capabilities (Anchors, bollards, etc), navigation equipment (lights, basic radar etc), access points (external door ways and the like)

That (what looks the old 4.5") main gun is not going to fit there, unless your hull is rather bluff forwards which would contradict the 35kt figure. Being so close to the waterline that far forwards means the hull is going to be very cramped and either the 4.5" has just a basic mini-magazine or its going to have to migrate aft a bit to accommodate all the necessary items that go into the fore of a ship.

My other concern is the lack of punch for the cost and tonnage, 7000 tons is a large ship, and I'm only seeing enough firepower that could be fit on a ship half the size, for about 75% the cost. These days warships need to be reasonably versatile with their systems to justify costs and what not.

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
reytuerto
Post subject: Re: MLX-4 NEW GENERATIONPosted: May 12th, 2016, 4:38 pm
Hi Helex:

Yes, 7000 tons is almost as big as a Spruance. Speaking about this destroyer, it's displacement was 8000 tons at full war load, and with 4 LM 2500, the total power output was 80,000 HP for 30 - 31 kts of max speed. If you want a vessel 10 knots faster, the power plant must be enormous! So, I ask you: 1. do you need that speed? 2. Do you need that displacement?

As stated before, the superstructure is somewhat cumbersome, very long and to much high. The british gun is placed very forward, so is expected a very unpleasent pitch with heavy (or not so heavy) seas. And as noted by Rodondo, the space for the magazine for the main gun is little. Cheers.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: MLX-4 NEW GENERATIONPosted: May 12th, 2016, 4:57 pm
viewtopic.php?p=98836#p98836
speaking of 40 knot spruance, take a look at one of the spruance predeccesor designs, the seahawk. data on all designs: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/632 ... specs.xlsx
note the impact of the powerplant of these not even 40 knot designs.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hexelarity
Post subject: Re: MLX-4 NEW GENERATIONPosted: May 12th, 2016, 11:12 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
viewtopic.php?p=98836#p98836
speaking of 40 knot spruance, take a look at one of the spruance predeccesor designs, the seahawk. data on all designs: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/632 ... specs.xlsx
note the impact of the powerplant of these not even 40 knot designs.
and this is related to the conversation how? please dont post your designs atleast say something related to the thread instead of just showing your ships

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: MLX-4 NEW GENERATIONPosted: May 12th, 2016, 11:32 pm
Hexelarity wrote:
and this is related to the conversation how? please dont post your designs atleast say something related to the thread instead of just showing your ships
He is show you what a high speed displacement hull should look like. At this point, you would be better off removing the underwater portion of the hull rather than use that old, ugly one that doesn't really represent anything at all.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hexelarity
Post subject: Re: MLX-4 NEW GENERATIONPosted: May 13th, 2016, 12:28 am
TimothyC wrote:
Hexelarity wrote:
He is show you what a high speed displacement hull should look like. At this point, you would be better off removing the underwater portion of the hull rather than use that old, ugly one that doesn't really represent anything at all.
what hull should i use then?

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: MLX-4 NEW GENERATIONPosted: May 13th, 2016, 3:30 am
Hexelarity wrote:
what hull should i use then?
Every ship has it's own hull. To be honest, your stated specifications (2000 tons, 35 knots, 200m USD, 5" class gun, & 16 Harpoons) you are going to get something between a Fast Attack Craft and LCS if they are even possible (which I doubt). You're going to have a hull optimized for high speed, and you are not going to have any serious staying power.

If you want a FAC, your displacement can drop, but the ship is going to be less stable at sea, and you are going to lose most of your sensors, and any ability to defend yourself. A FAC of similar specs to what you have is likely to be a multihull ship, and would look like one of these:

[ img ]

[ img ]

Now, if you go bigger, you end up with either something like LCS:

[ img ]

Gunship's update of the LCS-1

or, if you have a conventional displacement hull, something like the Seahawks that Ace mentioned earlier:

[ img ]

No matter what you pick on the larger end, you will end up spending more than 200m USD.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 11 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: