Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 4 of 6  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
reytuerto
Post subject: Re: US CA Arcadia Bay - AU shipPosted: May 31st, 2016, 5:11 pm
Hi Tristan:
May I ask you the reason on the apparent distribution of the machinery of your cruiser? The order of the rooms seems to be turbines, boilers, turbine, boilers; which is opposite to the more common distribution boilers, turbines, boilers, turbine. Your ship has a visual (only in the funnel distribution) appearance similar to the Edinburgh (which in turn, looks somewhat "odd" in comparision to the Town and Crown Colony classes), but not to any american vessel. If you want to have all the boilers in one big room or in two separate rooms together, you can have only one funnel. Cheers.

PS: Arcadia Bay looks better now! Go ahead!

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: US CA Arcadia Bay - AU shipPosted: May 31st, 2016, 7:33 pm
reytuerto wrote:
Hi Tristan:
May I ask you the reason on the apparent distribution of the machinery of your cruiser? The order of the rooms seems to be turbines, boilers, turbine, boilers; which is opposite to the more common distribution boilers, turbines, boilers, turbine. Your ship has a visual (only in the funnel distribution) appearance similar to the Edinburgh (which in turn, looks somewhat "odd" in comparision to the Town and Crown Colony classes), but not to any american vessel. If you want to have all the boilers in one big room or in two separate rooms together, you can have only one funnel. Cheers.

PS: Arcadia Bay looks better now! Go ahead!
Oh thanks very much! Little confused though, should I make adjustments or are you saying it's fine now?

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: US CA Arcadia Bay - AU shipPosted: June 7th, 2016, 6:02 pm
I had been meaning to come back to this but work has been hellish lately.

The watertight doors on this ship are too short. They look to only be about four and a half feet tall... use the ones posted on the equipment sheet from now on.

Searchlights would never be positioned so close to the main guns, or really anywhere except high up on the superstructure where they'd have the most advantageous position for illuminating enemy ships/aircraft. The blast from the 6" guns would almost certainly shatter and immediately disable the 24" searchlights yo have on the 02 level just behind the #2 and #3 turrets.

I'm still not sold on the placement of the 5" guns. I think if you attempted to draw a plan view of this ship (which you should) you'd find that it's prohibitively wide to be able to reach cruiser speeds (30+ knots) without extremely powerful machinery. Springsharp will help you figure out the ideal beam of your ship. You should also use the new version of the 5" guns available on the North Carolina and Alaska drawings.

The floatplane is not sitting on its cradle (there is an example of how to place it on the sheet in my signature). I understand you may have placed it far ahead on the catapult so it doesn't overlap with the crane, but realistically this ship would have one aircraft handling crane and two catapults abeam of it, so the plane WILL fit it will just cover up part of the crane.

You should update the hull and propeller colors to match the newest stuff being drawn.

A ship of this size and armament would almost certainly have an armor belt along the waterline protecting the ship's citadel.

You have 20mm Oerlikons but I don't spot any 40mm Bofors doubles or quads (except for the strange small AA guns abeam the aft funnel - not sure what those are supposed to be).

A ship of this size will certainly have the standard USN radar fit for surface combatants larger than CL as of 1943. Namely, an SK and SG on the foremast and a second SG for backup on the mainmast.

Your funnels both have sirens and only the forward one needs one. You have also truncated the small steam escape pipe that runs behind each stack for some reason. You should add a trash burner uptake on the aft funnel too.

Almost all warships have an after/emergency conning station somewhere aft on the superstructure. This is used to conn the ship if the pilot house or main conning station is destroyed. On this ship, that after conn will likely be located near the aft directors. You might try moving the entire funnel assembly forward another 50ft or so and then creating an after deckhouse under the director foundations where you can place the aft conn.

Going back to the searchlights: you should place one 24" searchlight abeam the forward Mk.33 director foundation and a second pair somewhere near the aft conning station you will create. 36" searchlights should be placed in tubs abeam the foremast.

You've placed an SL and SG radar and a 20mm ready service ammunition box in the place of the wildcats and anchor chains! Why did you do this? I can only assume laziness in copy pasting...

Your ship has no signal flag bags aft of the pilot house and forward of the emergency conn... how will you fly Equal Speed Charlie London for +50% XP? (I assume you are a world of warships player like most of our new members...)

edit: Something that greatly helped me (and no one else has mentioned) is reviewing the original Booklets of General Plans prepared for cruisers. Here's one for CL-89 USS Miami. Page 3 has the outboard profile with almost everything you need carefully labeled.

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: US CA Arcadia Bay - AU shipPosted: June 7th, 2016, 6:17 pm
Colosseum wrote:
(the small AA guns abeam the aft funnel - not sure what those are supposed to be).
Those are Japanese 25mm machine guns in twin mounts (there is a triple mount abeam the n°3 turret too)

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: US CA Arcadia Bay - AU shipPosted: June 7th, 2016, 6:45 pm
I'll make the changes.

Nobody seemed to notice my funky mast.... I'll fix that too :D

Btw yes I love world of warships

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: US CA Arcadia Bay - AU shipPosted: June 8th, 2016, 10:38 am
Here is some progress.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: US CA Arcadia Bay - AU shipPosted: June 8th, 2016, 8:25 pm
Getting better. I'm not sure you could have that many 5" guns - you have as many as an Iowa class battleship right now (on a light cruiser hull). You should probably tone it down to 3 (max) on each side... more likely two though.

Why are you rounding off the corners of those gun houses? They are not circular and have been drawn as they should look.

The 24" searchlight you have placed above the bridge can't go there as that's your air defense platform which should include a bunch of sky lookout positions and target designators for your secondary battery. ;) Same goes for the after conn.

It's getting there.... just keep chipping away at it and soon it will be good to go.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: US CA Arcadia Bay - AU shipPosted: June 8th, 2016, 9:19 pm
A great advancement from your previous drawing, but I still question your placement of funnels. As it is, it looks like you have a weird engines configuration, that is to say from fore-ward aft: engine room, boilers room/s. There isn't enough space behind the funnels for an engine room with that shafts arrangement. The shafts angle is such that they look like they are ending where the boilers are.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: US CA Arcadia Bay - AU shipPosted: June 9th, 2016, 10:33 am
Novice wrote:
A great advancement from your previous drawing, but I still question your placement of funnels. As it is, it looks like you have a weird engines configuration, that is to say from fore-ward aft: engine room, boilers room/s. There isn't enough space behind the funnels for an engine room with that shafts arrangement. The shafts angle is such that they look like they are ending where the boilers are.
Should I move the funnels forward all the way to the bridge?

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: US CA Arcadia Bay - AU shipPosted: June 9th, 2016, 11:00 am
-Removed some 5" guns and corrected the roundy-ness Collo pointed out
-Replaced AA guns with American ones
-Fitted the new radar thingy
-Subtle touch ups on the superstructure

I still plan on adding the armor belt and adjusting the funnels

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 4 of 6  [ 57 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »

Jump to: