Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ] 
Syndicate_Zero
Post subject: Milkydromeda Class Fleet CarrierPosted: March 16th, 2017, 6:06 am
I have no idea what I'm doing. Let's say that I just genuinely love to design ships and think later. I'd like to inform you guys that the second picture is the first concept of the ship while the first picture made a few months later. What do you guys think about her?
I designed this ship with a single intention in mind, that is to search for a new distinctive style for a faction so that my comic readers can identify them easily and separately.

[ img ]

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: Milkydromeda Class Fleet CarrierPosted: March 16th, 2017, 4:25 pm
The propeller shafts should be straight, that bend halfway through looks unpractical. Doesn't mean it cant angle downwards.

The small angle just aft from where the bulb, or is it sonar? starts looks kinda out of place. I would straighten that out.

Apart from that, I would say that it looks good. Really love the look of the island, looks futuristic and practical, all at the same time.

[Profile] [Quote]
adenandy
Post subject: Re: Milkydromeda Class Fleet CarrierPosted: March 16th, 2017, 5:31 pm
Changing the subject slighty old chap, I actually quite like the look of your dock, although personally I'd bury any fuel tanks out of sight ;)

I also see no admirals command bridge. One would have thought a vessel this size would have been a flag ship of some discription :?:

[Profile] [Quote]
citizen lambda
Post subject: Re: Milkydromeda Class Fleet CarrierPosted: March 17th, 2017, 7:38 pm
Doesn't look bad at all, taken as a whole. A fairly conservative (and therefore plausible) design with a distinct look (yes, I'm talking about the island).

Besides the pertinent comments already made, and rather than nitpicking about minuscule details at that stage, I'd give you two pieces of advice, which you may or may not want to take depending on the amount of thought you want to sink into your design:
1) Draw a full-scale plan view. Doesn't need to be a quality drawing, but it is critical, particularly for an aircraft carrier, that you get at least a broad idea of what goes where and how much space it takes. In this case, you might even want to do separate deck plans, if only to get a good view of the space your hangar can take. I'm afraid that the mostly blank space on the aft upper hull in your side view doesn't quite mesh with your concept drawing, and this is an area where a plan view would help.
2) List all the visible systems on your ship (weapons, sensors, life rafts, intakes, what have you) and figure out what they are for. If you can't justify something, remove it. If your list is missing something important, it will help you figure it out. No need to be drastic about it (you can have enough radars, but you never have too many satcom links), but this kind of thinking process can take a ship from fanboy doodle to realistic design.
Regarding that last point, once again, this ship of yours looks the part already, so I guess you're already half-way there. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Tobius
Post subject: Re: Milkydromeda Class Fleet CarrierPosted: March 17th, 2017, 8:39 pm
1. Previous comments assented.
2. When you do your scale drawing, make sure you move "plane models" around your flight deck so you can see where your hardstand parking is, where the blast deflectors go, and what path must be kept clear for takeoff runs and traps. That will also tell you where your elevators (lifts for our English speakers) belong. Your elevators need to be tweaked just a little bit.
3. Mount radars direct to Phalanx. There's a reason why the USN did that.
4. Keep all guns and missiles below the plane of the flight deck. There's a reason the USN did that too.
5. That mast above the pry-fly (Your island) might be a turbulence maker and a pilot killer. Streamlining it a little bit in an art tweak will help.
6. SATCON and radars. Separate just a wee bit more. Mutual signal bleed and interference in TRW are bedeviling real aircraft carriers. (Looking at you, China.)
7. RAM lines of sight have to be absolutely clean to the horizon. You can indent Phalanx and safety fence (hull armor will stop its bullets and slugs); but a RAM if it is obstructed will not lockon, and if it locks on by accident (to a nearby radar which can under unusual circumstances look like an ASCM), and is obstructed in flyout, you just auto-killed yourself. (RAM is roughly equivalent to an 203 mm artillery shell. ESSM is even worse; that's about equal to a 305 mm shell.)

Just a few random thoughts. But for a first try at a carrier, that is IMPRESSIVE. At least to me.

[Profile] [Quote]
Syndicate_Zero
Post subject: Re: Milkydromeda Class Fleet CarrierPosted: March 23rd, 2017, 12:48 am
Thanks! I'll see what I can do about making it a plausible-looking warship. Tho' all those feedback feels like a whole different world to me because there are things I dont know such as SATCON for example. I will take my time and do my own research while listening to each individual opinions.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only”

Jump to: