In 1935 with rise of Adolf Hitler and his program of Germany rearmament,Germany plan to rebuild its navy and built modern ships that will be capable to counter French and Royal Navy counterpart,after launch of Panzerschiffe and its subclass,Kriegsmarine need a heavy cruiser that will capable to counter Royal Navy County class cruiser.Kriegsmarine submitted request to Blohm und Voss and Wilhelmshaven to design a heavy cruiser with minimum belt armour of 100mm,Range of 7000nm,armed with new 128mm Dual Purpose gun and heavy armament of new 234 mm SK C/35 in dual mounting that will be built by Krupp.Wilhemshaven submitted a 14.000 t cruiser with 120mm belt armour and 70mm deck armour powered by hybrid of diesel-steam turbine engine.Blohm und Voss design was rejected while OKM decide to adopt Blohm und Voss design that powered only by steam turbine but better protected with 155mm of belt armour and 100mm of deck armour.Admiral Hipper ordered as "H" was laid down on 6 July 1935 and launch on 6 February 1937 and fitting out work was completed two years later in April 1939; the ship was commissioned into the Kriegsmarine on 29 April 1939.
Admiral Hipper as she appeared in 1939
In May 1940, the ship returned to the Blohm & Voss dockyard for modifications; these included the replacement of the straight stem with a clipper bow and the installation of the funnel cap
Admiral Hipper as she appeared in January 1942 in Hamburg for personnel training
Any comments and criticism are very welcome.