[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ] 
Napododidelyone
Post subject: S.S. Saint Louis, Passenger 1894Posted: June 27th, 2018, 9:57 pm
S.S. Saint Louis
of the United States Line built in 1894
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: S.S. Saint Louis, Passenger 1894Posted: June 27th, 2018, 10:20 pm
You have scaled the ship wrong: it should be 1109px long

here hull color should be red:
[ img ]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_St._Louis_(1894)

There are a lot of things that could be done better, here is an example from one of or esteemed artist:
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Napododidelyone
Post subject: Re: S.S. Saint Louis, Passenger 1894Posted: June 28th, 2018, 5:16 am
Thank you, I will get working on fixing these things. happy to get some input while I am starting out, this was my first attempt at making an actual ship, so I happily accept any input I can get from the community. When making it I had gone with the coloration from this image here, so I can see how I might have missed this:
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: S.S. Saint Louis, Passenger 1894Posted: June 28th, 2018, 7:52 am
When doing a drawing, always spend some time to collect as much information, pictures before starting to draw

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: S.S. Saint Louis, Passenger 1894Posted: June 28th, 2018, 9:21 pm
First let me commend you on trying a real world passenger liner.
And now for the critique, the first thing I've noticed is the funnels shading/colouring, which makes them as if the ship is rolling on its side away from the observer. It also seems as if the lower row of portholes is below the water line (that means it is immersed in water! ). Also your ship lacks anchors, and the use of windows on the maindeck is wrong, as in that time most liners, even those on the North Atlantic had open decks.
Your ship colour is also wrong, as the American Line had black hulls but the under water colour was lead red. This ship did not have a white band on the hull and certainly didn't have a red band.
Anyway I like the fact that you have tried tackling a real life passengers ship.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Napododidelyone
Post subject: Re: S.S. Saint Louis, Passenger 1894Posted: June 28th, 2018, 11:16 pm
here are some coloration updates, still working however and will have a new version up soon,
ps. thanks for the feedback
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: S.S. Saint Louis, Passenger 1894Posted: June 30th, 2018, 12:16 am
A better version but still many errors.
First are the dimensions of your ship's drawing. As she was 554 feet long, the drawing needs to be 1108 pixels long, which it is not (being only 846 pixels long). The ships draught (draft) in real life was 30 feet which means 60 pixels (the distance between the bottom of your drawing to the line of windows, just below the main deck is 59 pixels - that may give you an indication of size).
Second is that row of windows, which the real ship didn't have. As mentioned before she had open decks, not windows.
Again you have chosen to make the funnel tops rounded, which is wrong and gives the impression (for me at least), that she is going over, capsizing.
At least you have give the ship an anchor, but it is upside down.
There are some left over pixels, and the stay which runs from the fore mast to the bows is not joined to the mast itself.
You have used non standard railings, it is customary to use standard railing in all drawings.
Your credit lines are in the wrong font (it should be Arial)

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: S.S. Saint Louis, Passenger 1894Posted: June 30th, 2018, 4:32 am
Welcome to shipbucket!

Although scale of that drawing is wrong, current ship has the perfect size for a period passenger ship in my AU (late 1890's-early 1900's). In my imagination, several local shipyards built ships inspired from ocean liners but much smaller.

Nice effort for a newbie by the way.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only”

Jump to: