Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 3  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 »
JjeeporCreepor
Post subject: Re: Newbie Incoming!Posted: March 5th, 2011, 10:20 pm
First of all, thank you everyone for the positive words and for all the tips and advice. I am now going to work on a modified version of this design taking into account all of the things you've suggested.

Lazer_one, I agree that this propeller just looks wrong on this design. I’m going to find some visual references for container ship propulsion and draw a new one from scratch, I think.

Novice, Hood – the multiple radars are all taken from MihoshiK’s HMS Invincible drawing – I thought too many radars, aerials etc were probably better than not enough! :D I will research and revise accordingly, and get rid of the probably unnecessary sonar etc too. Basically, I think the more “no frills” this design is the better – otherwise, what would be the point of building something like this as opposed to, say, another Invincible?

I really doubt how capable and indeed how cheap and easy to build this design would be, tbh, and my reading suggests that when the RN trialled Arapaho (aboard RFA Reliant?) in the 80s, they were less than impressed with it, but you know, there are plenty of real life designs that ended up being more expensive and glitchy/less useful than they were supposed to be…

Bombhead – thanks, and thanks for those aircraft images. Very much appreciated! :)

Thiel – I agree – the current outline is kind of based on the idea of a merchant ship converted to a makeshift carrier, but if it was indeed purpose-built like the book suggests, then it seems logical that the largest uninterrupted flight deck possible would be the way to go. Well, it seems obvious now that you suggested it to me, of course!

Okay, enough talk – I will get back to work. I was checking the Hackett book again today, and I see it also mentions “twelve corvettes of a new type, for fast patrol ship duties” and “five small patrol (diesel-electric) submarines” as part of the same building programme – I might tackle those if/when I ever get finished with this design… 8-)

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Newbie Incoming!Posted: March 5th, 2011, 10:33 pm
Well, its fairly standard for container ships of that size to have the superstructure all the way aft. Especially the older ones that had large superstructures like the one you've drawn. Just remember to leave enough space for mooring winches etc.
Also, as far as I'm aware all modern container ships are single screw ships. The only exception I can think of at the moment is ØKs three screwed Selandia class from the seventies.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
JjeeporCreepor
Post subject: Re: Newbie Incoming!Posted: March 5th, 2011, 11:12 pm
Thanks, Thiel - somehow, in the early stages of this drawing, I had formed the impression that the Atlantic Conveyor, which was my main model for the civilian part of this design, was twin screw, but I was probably very wrong about that - I will try and find a good photo or diagram of an actual container ship from the late-70s/early-80s and use that as my model.

The rear helo pad was again influenced by the Atlantic Conveyor, and by the diagram of the SCADS system about halfway down this page http://www.thinkdefence.co.uk/2011/01/t ... -conveyor/, but I completely agree that a single, uninterrupted flight deck would be far more efficient, especially for a ship like this which is intended to operate varying mixes of helicopters and/or Harriers depending on the situation.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Newbie Incoming!Posted: March 5th, 2011, 11:52 pm
Well, the Atlantic Conveyor was a Hybrid RORO/Container vessel.
I'd suggest giving it at least limited UNREP facilities. Aside from making it that much more flexible, it'll also give you a proper tank system for storing jet fuel for embarked aircrafts. Another thing you should consider is to ad a normal helopad somewhere so that helicopters can land on it even when it's acting as a pure transport.
You could put it on a raised platform above the quarter, leaving room below it for mooring gear et al.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
All900
Post subject: Re: Newbie Incoming!Posted: March 6th, 2011, 12:33 am
An interesting concept. I've been thinking for some time about a possible future war, one which might last for several years. If you look at 1939 to about the end of 1942 you find that most of the pre-war Royal Navy has been destroyed. The attrition rate amongst destroyers for instance is enormous, look at the Tribals, I think 4 survive the war. What's in service by 44-45 are ships under construction in 1939 and war time emergency construction I of course omit those pre-war ships like the R-class battleships which were sent to remote theatres to keep them out of harm's way). And in the same period most of the German and Italian navies have also gone - in fact most of the pre-war German navy is actually lost taking Norway.

So I pose the question, if a long war were to break out now (something I ferevently hope will not occur), what kind of ships would navies be operating after several years of attrition? Given the long development and construction period of modern warships would there be anything left other than merchant naval conversions after a few years?

[Profile] [Quote]
JjeeporCreepor
Post subject: Re: Newbie Incoming!Posted: March 7th, 2011, 3:24 pm
Okay, here's the revised version taking into account everybody's suggestions. I started off just tweaking the design here and there, but ended up reworking a lot of instead. I think she looks more like a modified merchant ship now, which is kind of the idea (even if it is a purpose built hull).

[Edited - deleted attachment and added image from Photobucket instead]

[ img ]

All900 - it's something a lot of my reading about a conventional WWIII in the 80s seems to indicate - that given the likely attrition rates and the difficulty of manufacturing modern military equipment, it was expected that a full-intensity conventional war would be sustainable only for weeks rather than months. I think the war in the Hackett books lasts five weeks. I kind of doubt a NATO/Warsaw Pact world war would have lasted that long without turning nuclear, to be honest.

Last edited by JjeeporCreepor on March 7th, 2011, 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Newbie Incoming!Posted: March 7th, 2011, 3:35 pm
Very nice.
Personally I'd raise the fo'c'sle to the height of the breakwater. It's more effective at keeping the water away from the deck and gives you more storage space, something that always is in short supply.
The stern, and especially the area around the screw could use some work. Take a look at Alvama's Emma Maersk.
Lastly, I'd go with something a bit heavier than a 12.7mm HMG and preferably stabilized for close in protection. Chances are this ship will spend a lot of time on station acting as a supply depot for international missions like the ones taking place off Somalia right now. As such it'll be a prime target for nutters in speedboats.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
JjeeporCreepor
Post subject: Re: Newbie Incoming!Posted: March 7th, 2011, 3:57 pm
Thanks! :)

I was thinking of maybe giving her either a Phalanx CIWS or a Goalkeeper, depending on which would be more period accurate. That raised fo'c'sle might be a good place to put it!

I'll check out those other points - as you say, the stern bit is sketched in a bit crudely at the moment compared to some other parts of the drawing. I'll show you it again when I've done a bit more on it.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Newbie Incoming!Posted: March 7th, 2011, 4:03 pm
Well, since you already have SeaWolf, and since keeping cost down is rather important on a project like this I'd go with a stabilized 20mm.
Put it on the starboard side to keep the operator from getting hit in the head with a harrier and put it on a raised platform to give him a clear arc of fire to port.

And you might want to do something about the dearth of liferafts.
Depending on the exact timeframe, replacing one of the boats with a RIB would be a good idea if for no other reason than it's better suited for MOB work.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
JjeeporCreepor
Post subject: Re: Newbie Incoming!Posted: March 7th, 2011, 10:06 pm
Okay, I've been tinkering with this some more this evening - have modified the bow and stern as per Thiel's suggestion and stuck a 20mm mounting on the hangar roof, and put more liferaft canisters around the various railings:

[Edited by JjeeporCreepor - old version of ship removed]

Last edited by JjeeporCreepor on March 7th, 2011, 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 3  [ 24 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2 3 »

Jump to: