Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ] 
T_Whitton
Post subject: RV Prince Madog - both vesselsPosted: December 12th, 2018, 8:51 pm
Dear SB Forum

See below my two first SB ship drawings which I would like to get on the SB website. They are of the original and current RV Prince Madog which were both based at Menai Bridge, Wales UK.

Any comments and style suggestions welcome.

T_Whitton

[ img ]

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: RV Prince Madog - both vesselsPosted: December 12th, 2018, 8:59 pm
Hello!
Welcome to the Shipbucket. :)
These drawings are really nice start, but I have some small remarks - first of all, on both of them in some places there are "double black lines" (or whole black blotches in fact) - on first drawing most of them are around the RHIB, on second one mostly on the contours of superstructure. Also, we have the convention that source of light is roughly near the upper-right corner of the drawing, so the front (bow)-facing walls of superstructure should be in brightest shade (while You have them shaded like the rear/aft-facing ones). And finally - but that's a matter of taste - I think that shades of red on the underwater hull are bit too constrasting.
But overall it's a good work and I hope to see more of Your drawings in the future!

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: RV Prince Madog - both vesselsPosted: December 12th, 2018, 9:03 pm
Excellent work! it's nice to see someones first ships in here to be that nice.
A few minor remarks remain:
- there are some areas not completely outlined in black, such as the rudder of the 'old' ship.
- Check the drawings for avoidable double black lines, for example on the boat david, rudder and behind the 'stairs' on the old ship are some black blobs.
- I would personally use a big less dark red on the shaded areas of the hull.
- We have started to move away from the red underwater hulls, moving towards more realistic shades of red or whatever colour these ships have.
- I think both ships have a different tint of window colour blue? that's a bit strange, we try to standardise on that ;)

Looking forward to seeing more of your work! If this is (one of) your first tries at shipbucket style, I cannot wait to see on what high quality your drawings might end up!

[Profile] [Quote]
T_Whitton
Post subject: Re: RV Prince Madog - both vesselsPosted: December 12th, 2018, 9:11 pm
Thank you eswube and acelancelot for positive feedback and good suggestions. I can see what you mean about reducing the double black lines more and the hull colour and shading. I will have a look at that and repost when made some changes.

Its good fund doing SB drawings, but a lot of work even for 30 - 35 m vessels! I have a wish list of vessels I would like to draw one day.

[Profile] [Quote]
T_Whitton
Post subject: Re: RV Prince Madog - both vesselsPosted: December 13th, 2018, 8:10 pm
OK I have tried to modify the drawings from the suggestions. Some of the double black lines are needed but I got rid of any ones I missed. Hope they are better, I think they are. Not sure if the dark shadow red / brown under the bilge keel and bottom of hull is too much though. It was suggested on a SB youtube video I saw.

[ img ]

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: RV Prince Madog - both vesselsPosted: December 13th, 2018, 8:45 pm
Certainly there's an improvement, but I am still concerned about some elements:

[ img ]

Parts in green circles are examples how IMHO it could look better.
As for the elements without "extra examples" - that element on the stern of 2nd ship - I'd say it would look better with both black lines being exactly parallel. The windows on the bottom-aft part of superstructure vs. that vertical black line - basically, if it's pillar supporting deck above, both that pillar and the deck should be 3-pixels thick (black-color-black) - I know it's sometimes inconvenient, but such is our drawing convention, that it occasionaly forces us to "bend" a bit the exact accuracy and "move things" a little bit. And if that vertical black line is just a break in the wall, then I'd suggest moving one of the windows a pixel to the side and create a space there, to avoid that double black line. Also the position light on the superstructure - I'd suggest black outline (of course) but inside just a dark grey. And these moorings (?) could be IMHO "slimmed down" a bit.

[Profile] [Quote]
T_Whitton
Post subject: Re: RV Prince Madog - both vesselsPosted: December 13th, 2018, 9:51 pm
eswube wrote: *
Certainly there's an improvement, but I am still concerned about some elements:

[ img ]

Parts in green circles are examples how IMHO it could look better.
As for the elements without "extra examples" - that element on the stern of 2nd ship - I'd say it would look better with both black lines being exactly parallel. The windows on the bottom-aft part of superstructure vs. that vertical black line - basically, if it's pillar supporting deck above, both that pillar and the deck should be 3-pixels thick (black-color-black) - I know it's sometimes inconvenient, but such is our drawing convention, that it occasionaly forces us to "bend" a bit the exact accuracy and "move things" a little bit. And if that vertical black line is just a break in the wall, then I'd suggest moving one of the windows a pixel to the side and create a space there, to avoid that double black line. Also the position light on the superstructure - I'd suggest black outline (of course) but inside just a dark grey. And these moorings (?) could be IMHO "slimmed down" a bit.
Thanks eswube, appreciate your helpful advice. I agree I think it is a bit better now. Useful for future drawings too.

[ img ]

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
sebu
Post subject: Re: RV Prince Madog - both vesselsPosted: December 14th, 2018, 6:03 pm
Great work! Surely, you are not a beginner anymore; I Think. So, go on T_W. Looking forward your designs. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only”

Jump to: