Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 5 of 18  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page « 13 4 5 6 718 »
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: My AU German navyPosted: January 18th, 2019, 7:17 pm
The work you describe would require a proper shipyard though! Definitely an drydock, which were much rarer at the time then ramps to launch new ships from.

That said, you do not increase stability by increasing the length, but mostly by increasing the beam, the so called bulging is an perfect example of this. Length increases are mostly done for increases of speed. (an longer hull for a long flight deck might be a good reason too)

[Profile] [Quote]
Cargil48
Post subject: Re: My AU German navyPosted: January 18th, 2019, 8:08 pm
acelanceloet wrote: *
The work you describe would require a proper shipyard though! Definitely an drydock, which were much rarer at the time then ramps to launch new ships from.

That said, you do not increase stability by increasing the length, but mostly by increasing the beam, the so called bulging is an perfect example of this. Length increases are mostly done for increases of speed. (an longer hull for a long flight deck might be a good reason too)
I didn't say the increase in length would be done for improving the stability, where did you get that from? I said the stern shape would be chosen like drawn (square rather than "canoe form") in part for stability augmentation. That's entirely different, I'd dare to say.

PS: And yes, obviously this kind of work would have to be done in a drydock, where else? Maybe in a Dutch one, at least the main work until launching the new hull (with engines, propulsion and steering system).

Last edited by Cargil48 on January 18th, 2019, 8:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: My AU German navyPosted: January 18th, 2019, 8:09 pm
Ah, I read that as 'these 2 modifications were done for more stability'

[Profile] [Quote]
Cargil48
Post subject: Re: My AU German navyPosted: January 18th, 2019, 8:12 pm
acelanceloet wrote: *
Ah, I read that as 'these 2 modifications were done for more stability'
Ah, that explains it, thanks! I wrote "(...) and a different stern to give more space but essencially more stability to the entire ship."

[Profile] [Quote]
Cargil48
Post subject: Re: My AU German navyPosted: January 18th, 2019, 11:23 pm
I'm in the "drawing office"... it ain't easy...

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: My AU German navyPosted: January 19th, 2019, 12:45 am
Cargil48,

As this is the Beginners forum it would be better to leave all the comments in, good or bad, so that other beginners can see some of the pitfalls we all encounter on the road to stardom.

Once the Moderators deem your work good enough to go into the main forum choices. Do a new AU German Navy in the Alternate Universe section and edit out the posts you do not want to carry over.

[Profile] [Quote]
Cargil48
Post subject: Re: My AU German navyPosted: January 19th, 2019, 12:59 am
Krakatoa wrote: *
Cargil48,

As this is the Beginners forum it would be better to leave all the comments in, good or bad, so that other beginners can see some of the pitfalls we all encounter on the road to stardom.

Once the Moderators deem your work good enough to go into the main forum choices. Do a new AU German Navy in the Alternate Universe section and edit out the posts you do not want to carry over.
OK, will do when you show me the "green flag". On the side of the comments, ok as well, seems logic.

[Profile] [Quote]
Cargil48
Post subject: Re: My AU German navyPosted: January 19th, 2019, 1:52 am
Erased due to rewriting the entire AU underlying this new DKM.

Last edited by Cargil48 on January 22nd, 2019, 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Cargil48
Post subject: Re: My AU German navyPosted: January 19th, 2019, 9:01 pm
Erased due to rewriting the entire AU underlying this new DKM.

Last edited by Cargil48 on January 22nd, 2019, 10:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: My AU German navyPosted: January 20th, 2019, 8:51 am
The little almost round things in the middle of the lower hull are actually submerged torpedoes.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 5 of 18  [ 174 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 13 4 5 6 718 »

Jump to: