The first version of the Messerschmitt Bf 109 T:
Based on the "Emil" version of the Bf 109, the Bf 109 T-1 equipped with the Dainler-Benz 601-N engine producing a power of 1.175 hp and the aircraft carrier conversion included adding a tail-hook, catapult fittings and increasing the wingspan to 11.08 m. The ailerons were increased in span, as were the slats, and flap travel was increased. The wings were modified to be folding to allow for parking more aircraft in the hangars. The armament consisted initially of one engine mounted 20mm Motorkanone MG FF cannon, as well as two synchronized MG 17s cowl machine guns. In 1940, with the T-2 version, the engine mounted cannon was chnged for the revised 20 mm MG-FF/M which was far more reliable and two units of these cannons were mounted also in the wing roots, giving the Bf 109 T-2 an enormous firepower and entirely mounted around the airplane's centre axis. The fighter would be equipped with two 180 liter wing mounted fuel tanks, a feature which augmented its combat range significantly. Underneath the cowling was a revised, more streamlined oil cooler radiator and fairing, which improved the cooling effect. Slightly thicker wing skins and especially reinforced spars dealt with the wing problems detected initially when making hard landings simulating carrier landings. The new wings had been made by "Blohm + Voss" according to Messerschmitt plans and blueprints but their design was similar in the structural layout to the "normal" Bf 109, while the carrier based aircraft posed on hard langins a much higher G-factor on the entire structure of the airplanes.