Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ] 
IJNRedshirt
Post subject: SB Style AU Sub: Nemo's Nautilus (1865)Posted: May 6th, 2020, 3:28 am
http://www.deviantart.com/ijnredshirt/a ... -793016384

Ok, so it's been... maybe a year since I've worked on this? It took forever to make, and I'm certain there are parts people are going to want me to change. I did my level best to follow the standards of the community, but no doubt. Most of my work is recolors, which I'm waaaay better at. Both my Great Uncle & Grandpa were both in the Navy, I'm mainly into the Civil War but in terms of AH art I do a lot of the Soviet persuasion.

I took most of my dimensions and details for Nautilus from the book, with some of my own ideas. Mostly, the hull shape is based on a Confederate David. And yes, I know the prop is kinda crude, I was going for that period "this is a twisty bit of metal" propellor look. I was happy with the salon windows, as I copied the shutter design from USS. New Ironsides. I also solved the issue of the crew being able to clear the decks for action and take down the sub's railings. Basically, the post of the railings all telescope away and the bars of the rails are all tensioned chains. I think the posts actually drop down between the upper works and the pressure hull, but it's been a while. I'm not super happy with the sub's boat... but to adhere to what the books says it does sort of makes it hard on a designer since it's supposed to be able to be launched while the sub's submerged, which is... implausible but hey it's 100+ year old sci fi! The rudder is pretty small, I expect she's turn very slowly.

She's been through a few revisions already, and no doubt more to come!

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: SB Style AU Sub: Nemo's Nautilus (1865)Posted: May 9th, 2020, 12:25 am
Welcome aboard IJNRedshirt,

good start, though some points regarding SB style:

-unless it's slab sided, which I think it's a cigar shape, the hull should be shaded to represented that.

-should sit on the template at the appropriate level (surfaced waterline at the orange)

-the upperworks decking should be outlined in black

Otherwise this is a solid bit of work.

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
IJNRedshirt
Post subject: Re: SB Style AU Sub: Nemo's Nautilus (1865)Posted: May 9th, 2020, 6:11 pm
Heya! Thanks for the imput.

Yes, it's a cigar... do you have any suggestions about shading? How many shades should I use? I believe I tried it before to get the cylindrical effect but it wound up looking like an overcooked hot dog! Shading is my weakness in pen & paper drawing too. Well, one of my weaknesses, anyways.

Waterline & decks look like easy fixes. Let me know if there's anything more I need to tweak.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: SB Style AU Sub: Nemo's Nautilus (1865)Posted: May 9th, 2020, 6:45 pm
IJNRedshirt wrote: *
Heya! Thanks for the imput.

Yes, it's a cigar... do you have any suggestions about shading? How many shades should I use? I believe I tried it before to get the cylindrical effect but it wound up looking like an overcooked hot dog! Shading is my weakness in pen & paper drawing too. Well, one of my weaknesses, anyways.

Waterline & decks look like easy fixes. Let me know if there's anything more I need to tweak.
http://shipbucket.com/styleguide

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only”

Jump to: