Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ] 
Foxtrot-1
Post subject: O Class Destroyer - HMS OpportunePosted: May 13th, 2020, 5:49 pm
[ img ]

Not my first project, my second, the O-class Destroyer HMS Opportune. I know it's far from perfect, any criticism is welcome.

Some information about the ship:

Laid down: 28 March 1940
Launched: 21 February 1942
Commissioned: 14 August 1942
Fate: Scrapped on 25 November 1955

Displacement: 1,610 long tons (1,640 t) (standard)
Length: 345 ft (105.2 m) (o/a)
Beam: 35 ft (10.7 m)
Draught: 13 ft 6 in (4.1 m)

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: O Class Destroyer - HMS OpportunePosted: May 17th, 2020, 9:43 am
Hi and welcome to the Shipbucket.
Well, in fact Your "first project" (that OPV) looked bit better drawing-wise (despite suffering from double black lines, heavy corners, gaps in contours etc.).
This one, unfortunately, looks like if the superstructures begun to melt. :/

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Foxtrot-1
Post subject: Re: O Class Destroyer - HMS OpportunePosted: May 18th, 2020, 5:51 pm
Thank you for the reply, the superstructure is very messy.
This was my primary reference image of HMS Onslaught and you can see I found it quite difficult to identify the features of the superstructure, there is a vast amount of detail that I still need to add.

I do intend to revise this drawing at some point.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: O Class Destroyer - HMS OpportunePosted: May 24th, 2020, 3:48 pm
Unfortunately, photographs are among last things that one should use as BASE for the drawing.
They are extremely important for having things correct, for details etc. but not for "initial tracing". First, because you don't know if it's genuinelly perpendicular to the line of sight, secondly, becuase perspective (and potentially also camera lens) will - by definition - cause distortions, and thirdly, because there's too much depending on quality of photograph itself (and in this case it doesn't seem to be too exceptional).

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: O Class Destroyer - HMS OpportunePosted: May 24th, 2020, 11:44 pm
I actually got a lot of the details from the Tamiya model of the O type DD's. The paint colours, and layout, for the camouflage came from the instruction sheet. While pictures in the Model Making sites gave me very good detailing tips.

I read up on the 'O's from my own sources and Wiki for hull shape/type, which is how I came to use Novice's hull from the J,K's. Bridge styling and armaments came from the RN sheets.

One thing I would note on your drawing is the placement of the 4.7" guns. What you have mounted them on top of is fresh air. Those are boards on the sides of the hull and superstructure. The guns themselves are mounted at deck level as shown on my drawings.

The research into the drawings can be as much fun as the drawings themselves.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only”

Jump to: