Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 3  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 »
armyco
Post subject: Re: Alternate America/Artillery ArmyPosted: January 25th, 2021, 11:20 pm
New US Artillery
So, what were the starting circs when the General Board of the US Navy ordered new naval main guns in 1883?
There was an understanding that the new gun for the best performance should be breech-loading steel rifled, with hard guiding elements. The recoil force was to be transmitted directly through the breech-plug. The gun was supposed to be produced according to the Whitworth technologies best in the world. In general, the prevailing opinion was that a new gun, at least pilot examples, should be ordered from Whitworth.
However, there were certain claims to Whitworth's design with regard to the completeness of the use of the projectile shape. If it is true that the strength of the barrel depends on the thinnest point of the walls metal, then the circular section of the bore gave a more efficient use of metal, and the circular section of the projectile - the best filling factor.
Thus, the projectile was born first. It combined the best elements of the previous designs: Whitworth's general principles, but a circular cross-section, Delafield's technological obturating skirt and six Scott's centering ribs, the guiding faces of which now had to be machined for smoothness. In addition, the front ends of the ribs had to be angled so they interact with the same angle of the rifling entrance to guiding into the grooves when pushing the projectile in any position. Its lead-capped nose pin, as Stafford planned, was not so much to punch a small hole in the armor as to lead to its cracking, after which the bulk of the projectile mass had to break it complete.
However, when the Americans appeal to Whitworth, he, loaded with orders, did not find the opportunity to produce guns on the American plan. The only thing he could offer was the guns of his design. The Americans were no longer satisfied with them. As a result, only equipment for the steel and metalworking plants, as well as some blanks for the barrels, were purchased from Whitworth.
However, with this order, Whitworth was ready to give any advice. The main thing that interested the American admirals was the question, what is the minimum caliber of a gun sufficient to penetrate the side of a modern ironclad? Armstrong was also consulted with this. Both cited the minimum value of 10 inches. However, it was known that Krupp gave his 24-cm guns all the properties of 10-inches. Therefore, the thrifty Americans decided to start with the 9.4-inch caliber as the main of the future New Navy.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
armyco
Post subject: Re: Alternate America/Artillery ArmyPosted: October 16th, 2021, 10:16 pm
Since I still have some ambiguities with the ships, I will depict what I have more or less decided on in the Artillery Army - a certain initial period in the development of what is usually called "armored vehicles".

The tank was in demand by the IWW as a means of reviving assault or inrush tactics, which returned the "happiness" to the infantry to stand up to their full height under fire for the final destruction of the enemy in a bayonet fight.
This was one of the biggest mistakes in the development of tactics and the worldwide weapons system. All previous efforts, especially at the end of the 19th century, were aimed at reducing the importance of assault tactics and increasing the importance of fire tactics. In this sense, making the artillery self-propelled should be considered as a means that deprived the infantry of its last advantage and transferred this ability to artillery, making the artillery the sovereign mistress of the battlefield, and moving the infantry to auxiliary roles. And thus making the army entirely artillery. This advantage is the ability to act offensively.

The 1915 Model accumulated such achievements as the general proportions of Rolls-Royce AC; Lanchester AC silhouette; Christie transverse four-cylindered V 18° with staggered cylinder arrangement and one camshaft, 665 cu. in. (10.9 l), 5 1/2 in. bore × 7 in. stroke, 80 hp; planetary gearbox without clutch with idle gear stage; 4WD; two steered axles; side stationary propeller shaft; trailing suspension arm by means of wheel hub; under-armor horizontal spring shock absorber; final gear with internal gearing in the wheel hub; twin wheels; additional passive axles for load balancing by Milton Reeves; Navy pattern gun's protective cap; 3/4-inch Gardner machine gun manufactured by "Pratt-Whitney-Maxim"; the ability to fire at air targets like Erhardt BAK Panzerkampfwagen 1906; and others.
[ img ]

Last edited by armyco on November 3rd, 2021, 11:22 am, edited 8 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
armyco
Post subject: Re: Alternate America/Artillery ArmyPosted: October 19th, 2021, 12:22 pm
The war in Europe showed that wheeled vehicles did not meet the requirements for overcoming the foreground blockage line. The rubber-metal track quickly broke down in difficult conditions. The carrier was experimentally installed on the Bullock track chassis, but its ability was also not satisfied.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
armyco
Post subject: Re: Alternate America/Artillery ArmyPosted: October 22nd, 2021, 2:30 pm
[ img ]
Unlike the British prototype, the G1918, on the contrary, had one engine and two gearboxes. Engine power has been increased to 120 hp by the addition of two cylinders.

Last edited by armyco on November 2nd, 2021, 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
armyco
Post subject: Re: Alternate America/Artillery ArmyPosted: November 1st, 2021, 1:07 pm
The cannon was created under guise of analogue of European anti-aircraft automotive ones. But its true purpose corresponded to the experience of using the Italian Autocannone 102/35 su SPA 9000C as field artillery. C17 was supposed to become a divisional level universal artillery. The Westerwelt Board dotted the i's.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
armyco
Post subject: Re: Alternate America/Artillery ArmyPosted: November 4th, 2021, 2:51 pm
Ideas by Christie and Johnson to complement the previous design. Tracked version for European type warfare.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
armyco
Post subject: Re: Alternate America/Artillery ArmyPosted: December 9th, 2021, 10:18 am
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
armyco
Post subject: Re: Alternate America/Artillery ArmyPosted: December 13th, 2021, 11:49 am
The respond to the Birch Gun, as well as the overall dimensions completely fitting to the standard shipping freight-space.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
armyco
Post subject: Re: Alternate America/Artillery ArmyPosted: December 13th, 2021, 4:58 pm
The new 12-cylinder engine forced the gearboxes to be turned along the boards, transferring power to the rear drive rollers. Turret shape has been simplified.
[ img ]
I temporarily stop the armored vehicles line until I come to terms with its too modern appearance or do something about it.

Last edited by armyco on March 3rd, 2022, 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
armyco
Post subject: Re: Alternate America/Artillery ArmyPosted: December 14th, 2021, 10:36 am
It was impossible not to draw it as a note for the future.
3,67 inch 75 calibers tigerkiller and SP automatic gun with additional armor bars as reconnaissance vehicle.
[ img ]

Last edited by armyco on March 3rd, 2022, 12:31 pm, edited 5 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 3  [ 22 posts ]  Return to “Non-Shipbucket Drawings” | Go to page « 1 2 3 »

Jump to: