Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 48 of 64  [ 636 posts ]  Go to page « 146 47 48 49 5064 »
eswube
Post subject: Re: Imperial Swedish NavyPosted: September 25th, 2013, 5:12 pm
I'm not going to comment on technical issues with sub-launching Rb.08, but it's certainly an interesting work. :)

Btw. there are some stray orange pixels (near the propeller, the sail and between bow and credits)

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Imperial Swedish NavyPosted: September 27th, 2013, 2:17 pm
Perhaps the subRb08 will work as you describe above.Now the submarine please!

[Profile] [Quote]
Psilander
Post subject: Re: Imperial Swedish NavyPosted: September 28th, 2013, 1:45 pm
odysseus1980 wrote:
Perhaps the subRb08 will work as you describe above.Now the submarine please!
It's is already up, under page 47.
Quote:
My first submarine attempt. The HMUb Hwalen, a "cruiser submarine" launched in 1978. It carries 12x Rb08U antiship missiles. Which is the extened range, sublaunched version of the Rb08 ASM. Its primary purpose is to attack enemy battlegroups and harbours and cosatl airfields.
In 1991-96 all boats where altered to TLAM Tomahawk because the land attack seeker of the RB08U was naver satisfiying.

HMUb Hwalen ("the Whale")
98x12x12m
4000t
Diesel electric propulsion, 18kts max...
12x1 RB08U ASM
8x 533mm torpedo tubes for wireguided torpedoes

[ img ]

Worklist
All Royal Swedish Navy units from 1522 to present

[Profile] [Quote]
dc1
Post subject: Re: Imperial Swedish NavyPosted: October 1st, 2013, 7:47 pm
It´s a big sub for being a SSK/G. But I see the tactics behind the concept. A tactical deterence unit. One of these i enough to cause pain to a Soviet invasionfleet going west. It´s small enough to operate in the Baltic, but still have the range to operate overseas. Against an opponent like Argentina or other third rate states with ambitions too steal some others land it would make much difference.

I would expect a salvo of twelve rb 08 against a fleet with 1950ies airdefence might score 7-10 hits. Then clean up the rest with torpedoes if necessarry... Just leak to the press that one sub is in the area and many opponents will think twice....

[Profile] [Quote]
Psilander
Post subject: Re: Imperial Swedish NavyPosted: October 2nd, 2013, 9:10 pm
Quote:
It´s a big sub for being a SSK/G. But I see the tactics behind the concept. A tactical deterence unit. One of these i enough to cause pain to a Soviet invasionfleet going west. It´s small enough to operate in the Baltic, but still have the range to operate overseas. Against an opponent like Argentina or other third rate states with ambitions too steal some others land it would make much difference.
I.ve been thinking about that, but she has te size of most russian SSK/ Gs. I had some thought making her a SSN. I have not decided that yet.

Worklist
All Royal Swedish Navy units from 1522 to present

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Imperial Swedish NavyPosted: October 3rd, 2013, 6:25 am
Also the island seems too small to me for this large diameter hull.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Imperial Swedish NavyPosted: October 3rd, 2013, 6:44 am
I doubt she'll have much deterent effect without nuclear warheads. With eight boats you'll be able to have about three on station with 32 missiles in total. Unless you score an incredibly lucky hit it's simply not going to have much effect if the Soviet Union decides to attack.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
dc1
Post subject: Re: Imperial Swedish NavyPosted: October 3rd, 2013, 7:46 am
Thiel wrote:
I doubt she'll have much deterent effect without nuclear warheads. With eight boats you'll be able to have about three on station with 32 missiles in total. Unless you score an incredibly lucky hit it's simply not going to have much effect if the Soviet Union decides to attack.

See it as part of a larger force.... Against a soviet invasionfleet you won't score more than 1-3 hits out of 12 missiles. But combined with both surface and airlaunched missiles it will cause real damage...
Against a lesser opponent impact will be more severe, thus make it a powerful asset .

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Imperial Swedish NavyPosted: October 3rd, 2013, 4:14 pm
Thiel wrote:
Well, yes and no. All you have to do is be more trouble than you're worth. An invasion of Sweden is almost certainly going to take place in the context of a much larger global action, and the Soviets won't be able to dedicate a very large proportion of their resources to fighting the Swedes in such an event.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Imperial Swedish NavyPosted: October 3rd, 2013, 4:34 pm
erik_t wrote:
Well, yes and no. All you have to do is be more trouble than you're worth.
That is the basic strategy behind the Norwegian Ula class. have enough torpedo tubes (8) and torpedo's (14) that an invasion would be to costly for anyone.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 48 of 64  [ 636 posts ]  Return to “Non-Shipbucket Drawings” | Go to page « 146 47 48 49 5064 »

Jump to: