Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ] 
klagldsf
Post subject: Something quite different indeedPosted: September 20th, 2010, 3:18 am
[ img ]

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Demon Lord Razgriz
Post subject: Re: Something quite different indeedPosted: September 20th, 2010, 3:24 am
lol lulzy idea, though not something I'd like to see.

Atlas V
Delta II/III
Project Constellation
Soyuz series

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Something quite different indeedPosted: September 20th, 2010, 3:33 am
These need to be moved to Never Built, as they were real proposals in the 60's

The source data and such can be found in:

USNRDL-TR-659 -- 16 July 1963 -- CIVIL DEFENSE UTILIZATION OF SHIPS AND BOATS by W.H. Van Horn, D. Freund.

Special Thanks to Ryan Crierie for finding this in the first place.

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Something quite different indeedPosted: September 20th, 2010, 7:54 am
It might help if you posted some background to these. Looking at them they appear to be survival shelters utilising old ship and sub hulls, buried in sand to protect against radiation.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Something quite different indeedPosted: September 20th, 2010, 8:28 am
Portsmouth Bill wrote:
It might help if you posted some background to these.
I thought it'd be more fun if people took a whack at it themselves - especially since, given all the clues you're already given at face-value right on the drawing itself, it shouldn't be too hard to infer :p
Quote:
Looking at them they appear to be survival shelters utilising old ship and sub hulls, buried in sand to protect against radiation.
You would be correct. TimothyC posted where it comes from and I'll see if I can get permission from Ryan to post the actual quotes. Anyway, BB-58 Indiana nearly became the "underground White House" - instead a more traditional concrete structure was built, underneath a golf course of all things (the latter did have the advantage of offering a lot more options on amenities and more White House-like features). Gato and Balao-class submarines were also looked at as being used as civilian shelters around coastlines, being buried on the beach - their pressure hulls were found to be extremely resilient against radiation blasts and therefore the only modifications necessary would've been to allow for air venting - something like less then 10 grand, if I remember correctly, would've been needed to "build" a shelter, and that includes final destination and burying costs. It was turned down and no hulls converted because there weren't a lot of hulls to go around, especially since at the same time this type of submarine was also really popular on the export market. Far more common types, like Liberty Ships, were also looked at, but if I recall correctly it was decided that these cheap, mass-produced hulls didn't take to being buried in deep sand or earth real well, let alone resisting a nuclear blast even with underground protection.

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Something quite different indeedPosted: September 20th, 2010, 9:30 am
Thanks for the reply. I recall reading somewhere that burying equipment in sand (if properly sealed) provides considerable protection against conventional and nuclear blasts; so in theory, after a nuclear exchange the survivors could get started once theyd' dug stuff out. And the Iraq'is buried some aircraft in sand in one of the gulf wars; but that may gave been more for concealment.

[Profile] [Quote]
RyanCrierie
Post subject: Re: Something quite different indeedPosted: September 20th, 2010, 7:04 pm
You can find the original drawings here at my website:

Link 1

Link 2

The Battleship plan is specifically here Link to Pic.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Something quite different indeedPosted: September 20th, 2010, 7:05 pm
Very interesting.

[Profile] [Quote]
Scifibug
Post subject: Re: Something quite different indeedPosted: October 6th, 2010, 6:50 pm
Oh! frak! Beaten to the punch once again. Nice job through,
I'd didn't know about the proposal to use subs through. (Would of been neat I they kept the turrets)

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]  Return to โ€œNon-Shipbucket Drawingsโ€

Jump to: