Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 4 of 5  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Sword Class FFG (Warning: 3D)Posted: October 18th, 2012, 7:09 pm
I mean more like this: I noticed the cutouts for the RHIB and the walkway in your side, which are very bad for stealth, and I noticed your lack of funnels, for example. you said you would add those later or look at it, at least..... now you are making nice renders as if the ship is finished. I figure you don't want to make her realistic?

[Profile] [Quote]
Lebroba
Post subject: Re: Sword Class FFG (Warning: 3D)Posted: October 18th, 2012, 7:43 pm
The rhib bays get covered when the ship is not doing boat ops, like Saejong the Great. Its shown in the uncovered position for effect.

The funnels are back aft behind the aft facing spy arrays. so its not unusual that they should be unseen from a forward facing angle. the walk way is going to house the 30mm guns.

I understand what you mean about making renders before a ship is finished, that's why you never made any renders of your ship, with the deformed sonar dome, inefficient mooring gear and ladders that go nowhere. Yeah looking at your work, i totally understand what you mean by unfinished.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Sword Class FFG (Warning: 3D)Posted: October 18th, 2012, 8:00 pm
ladders that go nowhere? deformed sonar dome? inefficient mooring gear? as all these details are based on real ships, I suggest you give better comments then that, as right now it sounds like just insulting

funnels in front of radar arrays are an very bad idea. the smoke will block the beam and damage the electronics.
why is that 30mm space walkway as unstealthy as possible then? round shapes and open railings instead of bulwarks.....
explain me how you can cover an shape with an hard angle in it with an rolled cover? also, the fact that it is cutting into the hull girder is not good for your strength.....

and those were just examples of my remarks I made earlier, just the one which could be seen not fixed on your latest render. I might have been wrong on the funnels, but well...... no I do not consider that improved.

and your hull still seems to have an shape not eager to float the correct way up, I have still not seen anything to judge that shape effectively.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Sword Class FFG (Warning: 3D)Posted: October 18th, 2012, 8:51 pm
ace...: expert in constructive critics, me... well expect to be the best drawer on this forum 8-) am also that one that just watch and .... mock, or trying a bad joke.

"I like submarine, until they fit a gun to it!"

[Profile] [Quote]
Lebroba
Post subject: Re: Sword Class FFG (Warning: 3D)Posted: October 18th, 2012, 10:32 pm
dot dot dot

Last edited by Lebroba on January 2nd, 2013, 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Sword Class FFG (Warning: 3D)Posted: October 18th, 2012, 11:20 pm
1. For the ladder. Ace have chosen one going from the bridge and down instead one that going from the main deck and up (And that is good enough. That ladder is a way for that crew member to get down to that small railing that go along the superstructure, on that railing that crew member is standing when he either cleaning the windows or do repairs at sea.

2. That bow thingy is a not finished rendering for a bow anchor. Used when laying at anchor in long term. (The anchor is more heavy than those on the side.) Note: not every vessel have those, some just have a empty spot there.

3. Hull Geometry is pinched and the Sonar. Note this vessel is drawn in Google Sketchup and not in a professional 3D rendering, and hull porgram.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-iNlNh7NBM5w/T ... -class.jpg

4. Light bulbs on the bow: Normally there is a single white 360 degree one. (But I have seen some with two and even four light bulbs, But those was just 120/90 degrees type)

http://www.jeffhead.com/aegisvesselsoft ... ansen9.jpg

5. Bow thrusters: Not every war ship have them, but I have seen it from time to time. But here he should go for the system that the Norwegian Frigate of Fritdjof Nansen class (ASW) have and it is a Azipod, that is getting lifted up in to the hull and hided behind a hatch when not in use! It is something i have starting t see on many small, fast passenger vessel, because they are almost noise free. And when you are at see, they are in hiding.

For the funnel on you'r vessel: it should be placed just aft of the forward radar mast. Because it have to be fitted partially above the engine room. The engine room will on this type off vessel be in the center of the vessel.

Your RHIB bay should be lifted up a half meter to a meter, and made to a closed one.

Here you have n example of a clean hull.
http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... 310-09.jpg

note: this vessel have only two to four manualy 12,7 mm HMG. and four 12,7 mm remote controlled HMG.
this vessel have in front of the hangar, build in to the hull, behind some hatches, torpedo tubes for ASW.

Note this vessel is the first in a series of 5 vessel, when alle of them have been upgrade to a fully armed vessel in the future, they will have.

76 mm or 127 mm on forward deck.
A 76 mm or 35/40/56 mm without deck penetration on the aft deck.
2 perhaps three MK-41 VLS. (My info saying that the 3. VLS will be placed a little bit different on the fordeck than those two other VLS)
old style depth charges.
and some cheep ASW/AAW light weight equipment.
NSM (In their final testing. It have been success so far)

[Profile] [Quote]
Lebroba
Post subject: Re: Sword Class FFG (Warning: 3D)Posted: October 19th, 2012, 2:42 am
heuhen wrote:
1. For the ladder. Ace have chosen one going from the bridge and down instead one that going from the main deck and up (And that is good enough. That ladder is a way for that crew member to get down to that small railing that go along the superstructure, on that railing that crew member is standing when he either cleaning the windows or do repairs at sea.
Yeah I get that, but there is still a ladder going to nowhere floating 40 above the deck!!!
heuhen wrote:
2. That bow thingy is a not finished rendering for a bow anchor. Used when laying at anchor in long term. (The anchor is more heavy than those on the side.) Note: not every vessel have those, some just have a empty spot there.
Again, i get it, but why make such a fuss over someone elses design when your own is so poorly done? There are more skills to 3D than just modeling, thats why I was testing out diffrent textures and lighting schemes.
heuhen wrote:
3. Hull Geometry is pinched and the Sonar. Note this vessel is drawn in Google Sketchup and not in a professional 3D rendering, and hull porgram.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-iNlNh7NBM5w/T ... -class.jpg
Yes, I get this also, however, I don't use professional 3D software eitehr. I use Blender and the Gimp both free programs. It all goes back to how someone can so openly critiscize someones work, when they have flaws in theirs?
heuhen wrote:
4. Light bulbs on the bow: Normally there is a single white 360 degree one. (But I have seen some with two and even four light bulbs, But those was just 120/90 degrees type)
I wasnt talking about the fact that there are lights there. Im talking about the lights themselves. They just look like colored balls. Its easy to find a reference of what a light bulb looks like?!? The point is if it does the job with out being 100% real, its good enough to sell the illusion, then its good enough.
heuhen wrote:
5. Bow thrusters: Not every war ship have them, but I have seen it from time to time. But here he should go for the system that the Norwegian Frigate of Fritdjof Nansen class (ASW) have and it is a Azipod, that is getting lifted up in to the hull and hided behind a hatch when not in use! It is something i have starting t see on many small, fast passenger vessel, because they are almost noise free. And when you are at see, they are in hiding.
The bow thrusters comment was because he gave me grief over having them installed on my early hull then he has them installed on his... kind of ironic.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Sword Class FFG (Warning: 3D)Posted: October 19th, 2012, 5:56 pm
I agree about the hull. it was designed half a year before I started shipbuilding ed, and I have currently remade it.... but I am remaking 90% of the ship, inlcuding internals at the moment. also, please explain to me the mooring gear: I have to admit I have no experience on that point and I'd love to learn more about it. here are more images and specs:
www.shipbucket.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=37018#p37018

on the other points:
- first of all, look at the dates posted. the fictional heroes class was mostly designed about a year ago. the knowledge I judged your design with is mostly from later date. this is the reason I can make comments on your design while my own has flaws: back then, I didn't know about those flaws. now I do, and I try to help you from making the same mistakes. thus, indeed, my ship is unfinished, and maybe it will never be, until someone is rich and powerful enough to actually build her.

- stairs going nowhere. stair #1 is an part that was still on that unfinished render. as I still consider the ship not entirely finished (as mentioned above) those are still there. so I will ignore that point, as that just seems a bit pointless to go on about realism xD.
stair #2: http://nsa25.casimages.com/img/2011/02/ ... 594923.jpg see for example this ship, which has an similar bridge wing arrangement. you see the 2 steps? due to the larger height I decided to make an complete stair of that, but it is effectively the same.

- light bulbs: no point in arguing about non-photorealistic modelling to show an concept, right? you saw they were lights, what else do you want?

- bow anchor: actually lighter then the other 2 (main) anchors. this is the harbour anchor in my case, an common something on the utopian ships while not used very often.

- sonar dome: she is similar in size with the dutch arrays. but I will check if the type I had in mind will fit during the redo.

- bow thruster: ships are an design tradeoff. due to that bow thruster, the FH class is more manouvrable at lower speeds, which is especially good for the operations in constricted waters these ships were expected to do when designed. this would limit its effective sonar speed to less then 18 knots though, and would make here easier to detect by submarines. the bulky end of the sonar dome was designed with this in mind: to create an 'bubble' of relatively still water after the dome in which the thruster would be 'trapped' at higher speeds. your thruster, on the contrary, only gives noise and no good benefits, because it is too small to be effective, as I pointed out earlier.

note also that I am studying for ship designer, not 3d modeller. don't expect my 3d models to be perfect, as 4 of your comments are only about modelling errors and flaws.

[Profile] [Quote]
Lebroba
Post subject: Re: Sword Class FFG (Warning: 3D)Posted: October 26th, 2012, 11:40 am
Now that this is over, I can get back to some modeling. New pics in a few days.

[Profile] [Quote]
Lebroba
Post subject: Re: Sword Class FFG (Warning: 3D)Posted: January 2nd, 2013, 10:51 am
Some updates on the Frigate Progect:

[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 4 of 5  [ 45 posts ]  Return to “Non-Shipbucket Drawings” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »

Jump to: