Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
Vossiej
Post subject: Intergallactic spaceship AuroraPosted: November 28th, 2010, 10:33 am
I have always been fascinated by our universe, almost every night when it is possible I look up into the sky and think of all the endless possibilities for mankind out there. Imagining that every star we see basically belongs to another solar system with the possibility or planets orbiting around them.

But returning to reality, we as humans never went further than our moon. However, some time ago the artist Reinloch designed a spaceship capable of making the manned journey to Mars. This was accomplished by all the greatest minds the world had to offer. Although it doesn't stay with that. The ISEMARS foundation where it all started with, was looking to build a second ship. By 2020 the United States chipped in with the project, now together with the European, Russian, Chinese and Japanese space agencies.

And so after 16 years of construction on both earth and earth's orbit the ES Aurora was finished. It was the most complex structure ever built by man, as well as the most expensive, with estimated costs of up to 1400 billion US Dollars. What we had created was a massive spaceship capable of exploring the universe with speeds that where a few years ago imagined impossible.

[ img ]

Specifications
Length: 273.8m
Maximal module diameter: 18.2m
Maximal span across: 108.4m
Weight: 87.400 tons

Mission details
Type: Manned exploration of our solar system's planets and beyond
Duration: up to 7400 days (20 years)
Participating countries: US, Europe, China, Japan, Australia, Brazil, Canada, Great Britain
Crew: 32 crew and up to 30 scientists (in total max. 66)
Vehicles: 4 landers, 4 docking gates for Orion/Soyuz

Propulsion
Reactor: Second generation magnetic confinement (GMC) reactor
Engines: 6x 120MW Variable Specific Impulse Magnetoplasma Rockets (VASIMR)
Top speed: 834.400 km/h (80% light speed)

The ship is capable of remaining in space for over 7000 days. This is accomplished by all the lessons learned in the history of manned space exploration. The Aurora is the first ever spaceship that houses a community on board, with private area's, relaxation area's and so on. She is also the first to have a fully functioning greenhouse on board, growing genetically modified crops in NASA's low-mass Inflatable Aeroponics System.

The Aurora's first mission is currently underway, last year (2041) she fired her engines for the first time towards the most far out body in our solar system; Pluto. She recently supplied the manned base on Mars and is scheduled to arrive near Pluto in January 2043. Once arrived a crew of 6 will descend on Pluto's surface looking for traces of the micro-bacteria, which the expedition of the ES Archimedes found on Mars in 2036.

Her second mission is planned for 2048, when she will embark on a journey towards the Alpha Centauri system to explore the earth-like exoplanet that was discovered many years ago. This trip will test the ship's maximum capabilities, as it will take up to 6 years to get there, and is the first manned expedition outside our solar system.

That was my fantasy displayed in a drawing, now getting back to watching the sitcom ''Chuck'' :lol:

Ps. I know the space shuttle would be dead for over 30 years by than, but it is just to display the size of the ship.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Intergallactic spaceship AuroraPosted: November 28th, 2010, 1:39 pm
There is no way that you are getting a ship with that power source up to .8c.

Even if you could get up to that speed, you're going to not have a ship as the dust particles in deep space hit you with enough KE and momentum to plow strait through the hull and out the back.

Please please please review Atomic Rockets.

[Profile] [Quote]
Vossiej
Post subject: Re: Intergallactic spaceship AuroraPosted: November 28th, 2010, 3:33 pm
I know that's not possible, just as it is not possible to construct such a ship within 20 years from now ;) . Just think of it is possible.

[Profile] [Quote]
chrisgatt7
Post subject: Re: Intergallactic spaceship AuroraPosted: November 28th, 2010, 4:53 pm
Now thats a space station :shock:

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Intergallactic spaceship AuroraPosted: November 28th, 2010, 8:42 pm
I like it! I'll take 1 :lol:

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Intergallactic spaceship AuroraPosted: November 28th, 2010, 9:48 pm
Vossiej wrote:
I know that's not possible, just as it is not possible to construct such a ship within 20 years from now ;) . Just think of it is possible.
I've sent you a PM why this idea and the speed you list as the top speed is laughable.

[Profile] [Quote]
Midnightnova
Post subject: Re: Intergallactic spaceship AuroraPosted: November 28th, 2010, 9:55 pm
If you cut the size of the "egg pod" to about 15% and added thrusters and landing gear, this would make a fair design for a Mars Expedition ship. The "Eggpod" could then be the start of a Mars Base. (At least for the expedition)

[Profile] [Quote]
Vossiej
Post subject: Re: Intergallactic spaceship AuroraPosted: November 28th, 2010, 9:58 pm
TimothyC wrote:
Vossiej wrote:
I've sent you a PM why this idea and the speed you list as the top speed is laughable.
Thanks TimothyC for that lesson on physics. But now is the question, what engine design would make it possible to achieve these speeds?

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Intergallactic spaceship AuroraPosted: November 28th, 2010, 10:23 pm
Matter Anti-matter. You're also going to need a particle shield in front (ice is often picked as it provides good protection, and can be used as a reactant).

oh, and you're going to be looking at over a mile long minimum.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Intergallactic spaceship AuroraPosted: November 28th, 2010, 10:26 pm
Vossiej wrote:
But now is the question, what engine design would make it possible to achieve these speeds?
Simply put, not very many. As it currently stands, the technology to achieve such a speed is as fantastical as the technology required to outright break the light barrier.

The faster you go, the more you start running into a drag problem - yes, even in frictionless space, though not "drag" in the classical sense we know. We know that a force is the product of mass and acceleration. To accelerate, you need fuel. Eventually, you'll need more and more fuel to keep accelerating closer to the speed of light - it becomes analogous to drag and the additional force needed to overcome it. Like giving really big engines to a brick.

But we don't know of any engine big enough to make a brick go .8c, let alone a ship that big.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 12 posts ]  Return to “Non-Shipbucket Drawings” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: