Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 4 of 5  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
Lebroba
Post subject: Re: Just another U.S. Frigate - 3D WiPPosted: April 30th, 2014, 4:57 am
As far as the SLQ-32 is concerned, I didnt think it would be an issue. Since elecromagnetic radiation travels so fast, the transmission would pass the entire length of the ship aft of the SPY-1F transmitter in less than 1 millisecond. Also I thought it might be possible to program a notch filter that would basically allow the SLQ-32 to ignore SPY transmit waveforms.

For teh engines, I orignially thought two seperate smaller engine rooms would be better, but now I think that a single engine room would be better to reduce redundnacy and manpower requirements.

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: Just another U.S. Frigate - 3D WiPPosted: April 30th, 2014, 12:25 pm
Hi Lebroba,

Can you clarify? I'd understood EMI to be about magnitude and freq of energy received at a given point more than speed-of-light limitations?

Also, I don't know what frequencies SLQ-32 works on, but surely you'd want it to be sensitive to at least some of the frequencies that SPY-1F would be transmitting, as it'd need that to know what \ where to jam? If it ignores targeting radar freqs how can it jam them?

I'm quite new to this sort of thing myself, so honestly keen to correct any misunderstandings I've had...

Ad

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Just another U.S. Frigate - 3D WiPPosted: May 1st, 2014, 4:09 pm
No, I agree on both counts. I'm sure you could filter out the SPY-1 emissions to a considerable extent, but I suspect it would not work quite as well as simply using structural shape to handle the problem.

[Profile] [Quote]
Lebroba
Post subject: Re: Just another U.S. Frigate - 3D WiPPosted: October 15th, 2014, 8:26 pm
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Just another U.S. Frigate - 3D WiPPosted: October 15th, 2014, 9:24 pm
the placement on those flank funnel would disturb the radar horizon toward aft. The radar can't see trough aluminium. why the aft radar, it does just the same as the SPY-1

[Profile] [Quote]
Lebroba
Post subject: Re: Just another U.S. Frigate - 3D WiPPosted: October 15th, 2014, 10:03 pm
Honestly, I just thought it looked cool and I wanted to model that type of radar. I'll take it out :-(

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Just another U.S. Frigate - 3D WiPPosted: October 16th, 2014, 12:37 am
Yeah it look cool, then you need either a different radar or place it higher up.

But having that aft radar is always a bonus. But then you have to find a way with your flank funnel or find a way to place the spy-1 higher up. Evt. Look at those Norwegian or Spanish frigates.

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: Just another U.S. Frigate - 3D WiPPosted: October 16th, 2014, 9:17 am
Hi Heuhen, Lebroba,

It might be a bit wasteful of superstructure volume (and probably wouldn't do amazing things for GT back pressure) but you could trunk the funnels to the centreline and take the problem away that way?

Regards,
Adam

[Profile] [Quote]
CraigH
Post subject: Re: Just another U.S. Frigate - 3D WiPPosted: October 16th, 2014, 1:20 pm
Lebroba,
What software are you using for your 3D work?
CraigH

Some railroad stuff
More random stuff that strikes me!

[Profile] [Quote]
Lebroba
Post subject: Re: Just another U.S. Frigate - 3D WiPPosted: October 17th, 2014, 6:17 am
Craig,

I use an older version of Lightwave 3D by NEWTEK, https://www.lightwave3d.com/

But you could produce similiar results in a freeware program like blender. http://www.blender.org/

Hope this helps,

V/R
Lebroba

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 4 of 5  [ 41 posts ]  Return to “Non-Shipbucket Drawings” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »

Jump to: