Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ] 
tsd715
Post subject: S.S. Europa (ocean liner of my design) (pencil drawing)Posted: February 5th, 2015, 5:40 pm
Here is a pencil drawing I did of the SS Europa (not the German liner of 1929). She is designed to be the ideal ocean liner, combining speed, luxury, and size. She is based heavily off of the Normandie, but with an elongated hull, modernized counter stern (like that of the France of 1962) and clipper bow, and raised funnels like those of the SS Liberté.

Europa was built for the fictional, Hamburg based, German shipping line, Deutsch Transatlantischen Express, in 1930 at the Blohm und Voss shipyards in Hamburg. The hull is made of welded steel, while the superstructure and funnels are made of aluminum to cut down on tonnage. The picture quality is pretty bad but you should be able to see her sleek lines and get a general sense of her appearance.

Her specifications are as follows:
1,200 feet long
125 feet in beam
100,000 Gross Registered Tons
40.38 knots in speed trials
28-30 knots service speed
2,172 passengers in First Class, Cabin Class, and Tourist Class
1,100 crew
If you want any other specs, just tell me in a comment.
[ img ]
I have also done several other drawings of the same style of other ocean liners, both real and never built.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: S.S. Europa (ocean liner of my design) (pencil drawing)Posted: February 5th, 2015, 6:26 pm
Looks like a Shipbucket project; however, did you forget the masts?

[Profile] [Quote]
tsd715
Post subject: Re: S.S. Europa (ocean liner of my design) (pencil drawing)Posted: February 5th, 2015, 6:38 pm
bezobrazov wrote:
Looks like a Shipbucket project; however, did you forget the masts?
No, I deliberately left out of the drawing things like railings, masts, derricks, etc. in order just to convey the purest essence of the ship. Any other questions?
Also, I only have a mac, so I'm wondering whether you know of any programs that would work for ship bucket style drawings on macs. I've already tried Mac Paintbrush, GIMP, and Rita, but none of them worked because you cannot have multiple layers in Paintbrush and Rita, so you cannot delete your reference drawing without deleting the lines you've traced over it. As for GIMP, I was surprised to find that there was no straight line drawing tool.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: S.S. Europa (ocean liner of my design) (pencil drawing)Posted: February 5th, 2015, 6:58 pm
paint.net?

[Profile] [Quote]
tsd715
Post subject: Re: S.S. Europa (ocean liner of my design) (pencil drawing)Posted: February 5th, 2015, 7:04 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
paint.net?
Thanks. I'll try it out.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]  Return to “Non-Shipbucket Drawings”

Jump to: