Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2
JSB
Post subject: Re: Grand Turk and Etoile du RoyPosted: April 27th, 2015, 8:36 pm
I really like the bigger sailing ship the one without the topmasts, it intrigues me is that during construction or is it to save crew/cost and they are just added with CGI ?

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: Grand Turk and Etoile du RoyPosted: April 27th, 2015, 8:50 pm
JSB wrote:
I really like the bigger sailing ship the one without the topmasts, it intrigues me is that during construction or is it to save crew/cost and they are just added with CGI ?
The ship had an accident by a shtorm! We got into windforce 7,2 up to 8 at day 8, Our ship alongthe Etoile du Roy got save back, but that ship got trouble: Something went broken by a wrong mounted construction and the bigger mast broke in half, so they decided to ''top off'' all masts to 2/3 and CGI a full rigging during the movie. Ship is called Batavia anyway! It will be drawn soon too!

[Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: Grand Turk and Etoile du RoyPosted: April 29th, 2015, 6:26 am
This is a picture taken by some local TV station helicopter of us.

[ img ]

[Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Grand Turk and Etoile du RoyPosted: April 30th, 2015, 1:12 pm
Fleur-de-Lis combined with the Tricoleur? I'm not blaming Alvama for that atrociously non-sensical mix-up, if he got those from the TV-series...couldn't be farther from historical accuracy though...and a good reason to stay away from such series, which usually are a hodge-podge of the producers' figments and notions of apparent 'historical truth' without too much research into actual facts behind.

Anyway, in spite of the jarring flag jumble-up, two awesome drawings...

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: Grand Turk and Etoile du RoyPosted: April 30th, 2015, 1:41 pm
Hahah allright, I was already waiting for you to come with these comments, took longer then I aspected anyway. First of all, we had an Historical review, all ships used all kind of Historical flags, included ''Fleur-de-Lis'' and Tricoleur. It was just a show, we did the same with Shtandart. It represents just some parade, it are just flags. We didn't had to play an TV show all time, so during the parade, we set up these flags, so there was no need historical accuracy. But yes I agree, technically seen, we didnt used historical accuracy. since we didnt care and used all colorfull flags for a nice picture for a magazine, and wanted to list up all meanings of the flags, so we all had to put them in the masts.
And thanks for the compliment. I am glad you like it. More versions of Hornblower will follow.

Last edited by ALVAMA on April 30th, 2015, 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Grand Turk and Etoile du RoyPosted: April 30th, 2015, 3:22 pm
Hahaha..I can take a poke at my side! Well, my dear friend, I'm glad you didn't feel personally offended. Thank you, Alex for the enlightenment!

And, yes, I've been harboring the idea that, whilst I'd provide the research to it, maybe one day I could 'commission' you to draw a selected number of Scandinavian 16th to 18th-century warships in the FD-scale.

You're good, almost terrifyingly intimidatingly good...

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: Grand Turk and Etoile du RoyPosted: April 30th, 2015, 4:28 pm
Ah no problem, no worries!) All Oké. I am glad you understanded my explanation too, since I wasn't sure how to explain Haha.
Talking about wrong flags, I dont believe our Dutch flag setup in the movie was really correct, they used the same flag over like 30 years. But it was not us to tell to the movie people.
They did alot of research, like side-reloading guns, but simple details got no attention; besides I guess 90% of the watchers wont understand.
And I'd love to draw Scandinavian/Swedish ships and stuff in future; if you want me to!)

[Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: Grand Turk and Etoile du RoyPosted: April 30th, 2015, 4:35 pm
If you would love to take a poke at your side! You should have been around this day with communication fails!

[ img ]

[Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Return to “Non-Shipbucket Drawings” | Go to page « 1 2

Jump to: