How do you like it?
Option 1: It's great!  0%  [ 0 ]
Option 2: It's good.  0%  [ 0 ]
Option 3: May need tinkering.  0%  [ 0 ]
Option 4: You need to fix it.  75%  [ 3 ]
Option 5: Forget about it!  25%  [ 1 ]
Total votes: 4
EUH Lord619
Post subject: New Pond, The Eastern Union of HoltPosted: August 3rd, 2015, 12:56 am
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LMO47s5.jpg[/img]
Here is my project on the capital city of my NationStates nation. Honestly, I copied and pasted what I drew because this was such a big project for me. This project is planned to be expanded.

If you can't see the image, type down the URL in a new tab.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: New Pond, The Eastern Union of HoltPosted: August 3rd, 2015, 7:16 pm
EUH Lord619
You came here with good faith, hoping for some constructive remarks, support and most likely encouragement, and while I don't want to disappoint You, there isn't really much to say about that "project".
Basically You draw a grid, filled some random spaces with colors, added some descriptions and that's it. There is no practical scale to it (I noticed that "1 pixel: 10 yards" but I wouldn't realistically expect anyone to count these pixels), no differentiation between motorways/expressways, major avenues and so on, no mention about railways or other public transport, no idea which parts are occupied by residences (ranging from large mansions, through suburbs to apartment blocks), commerce, industry and so on, no mention of services (hospitals, schools), parks, recreation and sports areas. Plus it looks like located on the middle of the flat desert.
And the grid itself is basically a dull thing. ;)

Btw. ever tried to play SimCity? Of course it's hardly a textbook of urban planning, but at least can give some glimpse. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
EUH Lord619
Post subject: Re: New Pond, The Eastern Union of HoltPosted: August 3rd, 2015, 7:28 pm
Thanks. I once had City Island 3, a bit similar. So I have the ispdea. That's what I meant about "project is planned to be updated."

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: New Pond, The Eastern Union of HoltPosted: August 5th, 2015, 3:04 am
Another thing you may want to do is look at other cities in real life. You're going off of a grid layout, which is fine, but you have to understand that there are terrain features that will dictate your road placement, highways (which will often not be laid in a gird fashion, and placed wherever they originally were). I would recommend taking a look at New York City, Vancouver, large cities as well as smaller cities (and the first two that pop in my head are Waco and Denton, Texas, which have very interesting road layouts). You need to figure out where your city is, what kind of terrain it has, what kind of history it has (to get an idea on highway and some major road placements), as well as basic wind directions, which dictate where your airport is located and what heading your runways are. On the drawing you've shown the airport and air force base which have the runways facing at a 90*-270* direction, or east-west. There's also going to be zoning laws dictating where you can build certain structures and noise and environmental regulations.
It needs work, and really it's a large undertaking. It might help to just emulate and copy certain aspects of certain cities that you like and stitch them together into something you like, rather than trying to start 100% from scratch with no idea whatsoever.

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: New Pond, The Eastern Union of HoltPosted: August 5th, 2015, 7:58 am
Hi EUH Lord

To expand ezgo's point, most cities are near something - that is, there's a specific cause for the city to come about in that place (normally a river or the sea (transportation \ trade), but it can be as simple as the junction of two trade routes). It's quite rare for a city to spring up in the plains for no other reason that everybody got bored of looking at corn (or cabbage, apologies to Sir Pterry) - but I'm afraid I don't see what that "something" is here. That's not to say that it has to be as much of a rat's nest as London (which managed the impressive feat of remaining a rat's nest even after burning down and getting rebuilt!) but if there is a significant geographic reason for the city to come about, I'd expect to see it reflected in the street plan.

Regards,
Adam

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]  Return to “Non-Shipbucket Drawings”

Jump to: