Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 2  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2
citizen lambda
Post subject: Re: Rockets for a Sci-Fi SettingPosted: March 8th, 2016, 1:16 pm
Re. the last comment on vernier thrusters and your explanation on thrust simulating gravity, I concur that you will have to look heavily into maneuver engines.
No complete flight is going to happen under constant acceleration; you might even want to consider decreasing velocity before arrival, if possible without everyone in your ship getting stuck to the "ceilings".
Basically, the simplest solution would be to turn around and use your engines to decelerate, and for that you will certainly need thrusters somewhere above the rockets to turn the whole ship around.

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: Rockets for a Sci-Fi SettingPosted: March 8th, 2016, 3:18 pm
True, should be relatively easy to have a rotation \ transverse block between each landing leg \ radiator vane and a similar set up front for pitch and yaw control, it'd be, what? 8 sets of five thrusters, I think?

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Rockets for a Sci-Fi SettingPosted: March 8th, 2016, 11:01 pm
There will be a set of 4 thrusters at the nose, and a set of 4 at the very bottom, just before the engine exhaust opening.
The plan is to have the rocket accelerate up to ~0.15c for about 5 days at 1g force, coast for 5 days (or whatever is required), turn towards the opposite direction and decelerate for 5 days until the ship stops. In that 5 day segment of coasting, there is no 'gravity' so that is where the artificial gravity comes into play. Actually, it's always on, and it compensates for whatever gravity forces that the engine is not producing.

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Rockets for a Sci-Fi SettingPosted: August 22nd, 2016, 3:54 am
I've finally finished the main ship, the Appollo. I've made many changes from the original design and refined the detail. The major changes I made are: added a radio antenna on the systems deck and raised the deck. Removed half a floor of accommodations (which is now partial commons and the Captain and Chief Engineer's cabins); removed the CELSS and replaced it with two levels of storage, with the lower level being mostly for water storage; added radiators to the fins and showed a partial cutaway; moved external fuel tanks to above the landing legs, making the design sleeker; added a ladder access just beside the engine; and added the missing FTL level. I decided not to complete the interior design as, again, it wasn't really that necessary.

Now, looking at the ship, it's easy to identify the sections. Starting just below the nose is ship control and navigation, then accommodations (with flight computers and instruments between), food/water storage (windowless), cargo area and engineering level, with FTL, internal fuel, and the engine at the very base.

[ img ]

Engine: Single Lo-Hi Deuterium-Tritium (Lo)/Helium3-Deuterium (Hi) Rocket
Lo Gear: Exhaust Velocity - 22,000m/s, Thrust - 52,385,500N
Hi Gear: Exhaust Velocity - 7,840,000m/s, Thrust - 147,000N
MTOW @ 1.0g body: 4023 tonne
MTOW @ 2.0g body: 1967 tonne
Accommodations and stores: 14 people for 380 days. 16 berths (2x in Captain and Chief Engineer's Cabins, 2x in two cabins, 4x in two cabins).
SlipDrive Main: 0.817ly/h average. Also equipped with SlipGate unit
Slipdrive Backup: 0.18ly/h, one time use for 20 lightyear.

That's basically all that's important.
Thoughts, ideas, comments?
The next project is another ship that will be a part of the main story, a spherical ship.

-Ethan

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Rockets for a Sci-Fi SettingPosted: August 22nd, 2016, 5:13 am
Hergé called, he wants his rocket back :P

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 2  [ 15 posts ]  Return to “Non-Shipbucket Drawings” | Go to page « 1 2

Jump to: