Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ] 
llamaman2
Post subject: USS Ares NCC-1650Posted: July 25th, 2016, 10:19 am
Okay, so Real Life(TM) has intervened for a while, but I've finally got some work done on a few profiles again. Starting with this beauty: soon to be featured in the independent fan film (lawsuits pending) Star Trek: Axanar, the USS Ares.

[ img ]

In the short Prelude to Axanar, the Ares was identified as Garth of Izar's ship during the second half of the Four Years' War, the only 'hot' conflict between the Federation and the Klingons in the 23rd Century. Axanar Productions have moved the timescale slightly, shifting the war to the 2240s rather than the 2250s favoured in the original FASA game book. This would mean that the Ares-class was likely to come on-stream in about 2244 and first saw action at the Battle of Cygnus III.

In my mind, the Ares-class was under development for some time before the war, probably as a patrol ship to free up larger vessels for exploration duties. The outbreak of war would've seen the design outfitted with more phasers and torpedo tubes to create a pure warship for the only time in Starfleet's history until the Defiant-class started development in 2365. The Ares would have gone straight into production without the prototype stage, hence her being rated as NCC instead of NX-1650 when launched.

Currently working on:
The October War, 27-10-1962 (apparently forever);
"Saxonverse" alt-UK;
Federation of the Channel Islands AU;
Republic of Yopur & Andaman;
some sort of overarching AU;

Regaining my sanity.

Last edited by llamaman2 on July 25th, 2016, 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Re: USS Ares NCC-1650Posted: July 25th, 2016, 5:24 pm
Hi llamaman

Very nice drawing! Takes me right back to high school times when I and some other weirdos played FASA STSSTCS all the time... and reminds me of my long-time plan to draw my version of the Romulan V-27 in SB-scale (a version where top, side and front view actually match).

Good luck with these lawsuits though. For all I've read about this, the FASA universe was considered the vilest blasphemy by the late Mr Roddenberry. It would really be nice if people relaxed a little bit by now, but I have not much hope.

Greetings
GD

[Profile] [Quote]
llamaman2
Post subject: Re: USS Ares NCC-1650Posted: July 25th, 2016, 6:49 pm
I'm really hopeful that common sense, or a judge with common sense, prevails here. Axanar looks fantastic. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for these guys.

Currently working on:
The October War, 27-10-1962 (apparently forever);
"Saxonverse" alt-UK;
Federation of the Channel Islands AU;
Republic of Yopur & Andaman;
some sort of overarching AU;

Regaining my sanity.

[Profile] [Quote]
nighthunter
Post subject: Re: USS Ares NCC-1650Posted: July 25th, 2016, 8:43 pm
Last I had heard, Paramount Dropped the Lawsuit, due to the overwhelming demand of the fans.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: USS Ares NCC-1650Posted: July 26th, 2016, 12:38 am
I'm pretty sure it's still going because this is no longer a fan movie. That fiction died the moment they formed a company to make it.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
nighthunter
Post subject: Re: USS Ares NCC-1650Posted: July 27th, 2016, 9:10 pm
Well, I do stand corrected, I had heard JJ Abrams declaration, and thought it was a done deal. It's always the fucking lawyers!

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/mo ... story.html

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: USS Ares NCC-1650Posted: July 28th, 2016, 6:35 am
From what I can tell it's more a case of the "fans" who're making it going "Lets make a fan film, for profit!"
Which is a clear case of copyright infringement and no amount of "muh fair use!" is going to change that.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
nighthunter
Post subject: Re: USS Ares NCC-1650Posted: July 29th, 2016, 2:36 am
Thiel wrote:
From what I can tell it's more a case of the "fans" who're making it going "Lets make a fan film, for profit!"
Which is a clear case of copyright infringement and no amount of "muh fair use!" is going to change that.
Not "for Profit", period. CBS is just flexing their lawyers' muscles.

[Profile] [Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: USS Ares NCC-1650Posted: August 22nd, 2016, 10:05 pm
nighthunter wrote:
Thiel wrote:
Not "for Profit", period. CBS is just flexing their lawyers' muscles.
Yeah, bullshit. When the fans use the startup money to pay themselves a salary and build studios that they openly say will also be used for commercial ventures, it isn't a fan movie any more. Alec Peters has even registered Axanar Productions as a for-profit company in California.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]  Return to “Non-Shipbucket Drawings”

Jump to: