Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 6 of 7  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page « 13 4 5 6 7 »
Author Message
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: New (more realistic) Dutch Navy AUPosted: August 18th, 2010, 12:24 pm
Offline
User avatar
Posts: 3406
Joined: July 29th, 2010, 2:20 pm
Agree completely with Novice. Better name choices for an improved AU!

_________________
My Avatar:Петр Алексеевич Безобразов (Petr Alekseevich Bezobrazov), Вице-адмирал , царская ВМФ России(1845-1906) - I sign my drawings as Ari Saarinen


Top
[Profile] [Quote]
primer
Post subject: Re: New (more realistic) Dutch Navy AUPosted: August 30th, 2010, 7:39 pm
Offline
Posts: 83
Joined: July 28th, 2010, 1:03 pm
bezobrazov wrote:
Agree completely with Novice. Better name choices for an improved AU!
True, as I am not that knowledgeable about the naming of Dutch ships I kinda ran out and made some names up. Would any of the more knowledgeable members do the naming for me?


Top
[Profile] [Quote]
primer
Post subject: Re: New (more realistic) Dutch Navy AUPosted: August 30th, 2010, 7:45 pm
Offline
Posts: 83
Joined: July 28th, 2010, 1:03 pm
An unfinished design proposal from the combined Royal Dutch Shipyards. This is a self sponsored proposal for a light helicopter carrier based on the Dutch existing LPD hull. It should be able to carry 4 F-35B's or HarrierII+'s and up to 16 medium helicopters. It is unclear at this time if the Royal Netherlands navy is interested but other NATO navies have expressed their interest.

[ img ]


Top
[Profile] [Quote]
Maple-leaf-Warrior
Post subject: Re: New (more realistic) Dutch Navy AUPosted: September 6th, 2010, 10:29 pm
Offline
User avatar
Posts: 56
Joined: July 29th, 2010, 6:35 pm
Would it be possible to loose the Amphibious capaility of this ship and increase the number of Fighters?

_________________
When Britain first, at Heaven's command
Arose from out the azure main;
This was the charter of the land,
And guardian angels sang this strain:

"Rule, Britannia! rule the waves:
"Britons never will be slaves."


Top
[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: New (more realistic) Dutch Navy AUPosted: September 7th, 2010, 2:27 pm
Offline
User avatar
Posts: 7358
Joined: July 28th, 2010, 12:25 pm
Location: the netherlands
Maple-leaf-Warrior wrote:
Would it be possible to loose the Amphibious capaility of this ship and increase the number of Fighters?
it already has lost most of it's amphibious capability's, the lift has become placed in the place of the dock. not the best solution, I think......

_________________
Drawings are credited with J.Scholtens
I ask of you to prove me wrong. Not say I am wrong, but prove it, because then I will have learned something new.


Top
[Profile] [Quote]
primer
Post subject: Re: New (more realistic) Dutch Navy AUPosted: September 7th, 2010, 6:31 pm
Offline
Posts: 83
Joined: July 28th, 2010, 1:03 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
Maple-leaf-Warrior wrote:
Would it be possible to loose the Amphibious capaility of this ship and increase the number of Fighters?
it already has lost most of it's amphibious capability's, the lift has become placed in the place of the dock. not the best solution, I think......
Yes, it has lost it's amphib capabilities. If it didn't it wouldn't have space for a aircraft hangar. Where would you have placed the elevator?


Top
[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: New (more realistic) Dutch Navy AUPosted: September 7th, 2010, 7:05 pm
Offline
User avatar
Posts: 7358
Joined: July 28th, 2010, 12:25 pm
Location: the netherlands
primer wrote:
Yes, it has lost it's amphib capabilities. If it didn't it wouldn't have space for a aircraft hangar. Where would you have placed the elevator?
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
does this say enough?
also, I have to say most lhd's have 2 elevators.

if you want to use one without dock, maybe use an better streamlined hull, and make a ship like an invincible class. your layout is also possible, the new USS America will have it, but it is still based on the same hull as the old ships.
[ img ]

_________________
Drawings are credited with J.Scholtens
I ask of you to prove me wrong. Not say I am wrong, but prove it, because then I will have learned something new.


Top
[Profile] [Quote]
primer
Post subject: Re: New (more realistic) Dutch Navy AUPosted: September 7th, 2010, 7:22 pm
Offline
Posts: 83
Joined: July 28th, 2010, 1:03 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
if you want to use one without dock, maybe use an better streamlined hull, and make a ship like an invincible class. your layout is also possible, the new USS America will have it, but it is still based on the same hull as the old ships.
It is a small limited design because it's designed and made to be a cheap design. It's based on a existing LPD hull to keep the costs down. it's intended for smaller fleets to give them some carrier capabilities, not to give them the full spectrum of fleet carrier capabilities.

In the navy I am building it's just to expensive to build enough larger carriers (Iwo Jima like designs) to do both the amphibious operations and the fleet air defence/ASW missions. So I decided to split the missions up and make a LPD and a light carrier based on the same hull. That way there are enough ships to do both the types of missions (instead of 8 Iwo Jima like ships, we have 4 LPD's and 4 light carriers)

As for the placing of the elevator. This ship is just too small for 2 of them, I could place it more to the side but It's not in that bad a place, it doesn't eat up that much parking or landing space.


Top
[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: New (more realistic) Dutch Navy AUPosted: September 7th, 2010, 7:25 pm
Offline
User avatar
Posts: 7358
Joined: July 28th, 2010, 12:25 pm
Location: the netherlands
primer wrote:
acelanceloet wrote:
if you want to use one without dock, maybe use an better streamlined hull, and make a ship like an invincible class. your layout is also possible, the new USS America will have it, but it is still based on the same hull as the old ships.
It is a small limited design because it's designed and made to be a cheap design. It's based on a existing LPD hull to keep the costs down. it's intended for smaller fleets to give them some carrier capabilities, not to give them the full spectrum of fleet carrier capabilities.

In the navy I am building it's just to expensive to build enough larger carriers (Iwo Jima like designs) to do both the amphibious operations and the fleet air defence/ASW missions. So I decided to split the missions up and make a LPD and a light carrier based on the same hull. That way there are enough ships to do both the types of missions (instead of 8 Iwo Jima like ships, we have 4 LPD's and 4 light carriers)

As for the placing of the elevator. This ship is just too small for 2 of them, I could place it more to the side but It's not in that bad a place, it doesn't eat up that much parking or landing space.
I don't think it is much smaller then an dokdo class.....
also, I think it is cheaper to have an ship that can do 2 roles, then 2 different types of ships. if you split the missions, something like the kyuga klass from japan might be enough..... you don't need fixed wing aircraft. but well, it's your ship, and this was only my opinion of what might have been better.

_________________
Drawings are credited with J.Scholtens
I ask of you to prove me wrong. Not say I am wrong, but prove it, because then I will have learned something new.


Top
[Profile] [Quote]
primer
Post subject: Re: New (more realistic) Dutch Navy AUPosted: September 7th, 2010, 7:29 pm
Offline
Posts: 83
Joined: July 28th, 2010, 1:03 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
I don't think it is much smaller then an dokdo class.....
also, I think it is cheaper to have an ship that can do 2 roles, then 2 different types of ships. if you split the missions, something like the kyuga klass from japan might be enough..... you don't need fixed wing aircraft. but well, it's your ship, and this was only my opinion of what might have been better.
Dokdo class is closer to 200m if I remember correctly? But I could be wrong.

To do both roles the Dutch navy has to do in my AU you would need both Amphibs and small carriers. If I were to combine those ships I would have 8 much larger ships.
And in this AU with Russian Naval aviation bringing a couple of fighters for self defence is needed.


Top
[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 6 of 7  [ 68 posts ]  Return to “Non-Shipbucket Drawings” | Go to page « 13 4 5 6 7 »

Jump to: 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: wb21 and 8 guests


The team | Delete all board cookies | All times are UTC


Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited
[ GZIP: Off ]