Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 4  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »
eswube
Post subject: Re: Swordbucket (2.0)Posted: September 5th, 2020, 10:31 am
Keep up the good work!

[Profile] [Quote]
adenandy
Post subject: Re: Swordbucket (2.0)Posted: September 6th, 2020, 1:48 am
Very Unique work Reytuerto :!: Jolly WELL DONE old chap. I LOVE you blades (in particular you British Blades ;) ) Would Really LOVE to see more please, if you have the time and inclination to draw more that is :)

But great work my friend. GREAT work.

[Profile] [Quote]
reytuerto
Post subject: Re: Swordbucket (2.0)Posted: September 8th, 2020, 9:59 pm
Hi, Andy! Thanks! your feedback is as important as the blades! I like a lot the british made swords, with such variety and in most of the cases, with superb quality (well before Essen, the british steel was the best of Europe, in fact Alfried Krupp -with "i"- went to Sheffield and Liverpool to learn the secrets of the "englischer stahl", and only then he changed his name to Alfred!).

Not only magnificent swords for officers and generals, even a plain and utilitarian cutlass, like Royal Navy´s Pattern 1804, was well made and thought: the iron grip was more durable than a wooden one in maritime environments.

[ img ]

Cheers!

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Swordbucket (2.0)Posted: September 11th, 2020, 8:49 pm
Nice work.

[Profile] [Quote]
reytuerto
Post subject: Re: Swordbucket (2.0)Posted: November 4th, 2020, 9:20 pm
Good afternoon, guys!

The sword used in the famous charge of the Royals, Scots Greys and Inniskillings at Waterloo, the blade of the british heavy cavalry during the Revolutionary/Napoleonic Wars: Pattern 1796 Heavy Cavalry Sword.

[ img ]

Derived from a sword of the Austrians, the pallasch. It was introduced in british service thanks to John Le Marchant (the designer of the even more notorious Pattern 1796 light cavalry sabre). It had a 35 inch heavy blade and a useful handguard that combined a disc pierced by 8 holes with a single knucklebow. It was not adapted for the delicate swordsmanship of a duelist, but very well suited for the brutal cavalry melee. Originally fitted with a hatchet point for better cutting capabilities, later it was grinded to an asymmetrical clipped point or to a symmetrical spear point to improve the thrusting. In combat, it was a dedicated cutter, but troopers also used it as clubs capable of limb fractures and the handguard as knuckle dusters.

The fictional character most often associated with the 1796 Heavy Cavalry Sword is Richard Sharpe by Bernard Cornwell... and Sean Bean survived the movies! :mrgreen: Cheers.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Swordbucket (2.0)Posted: November 7th, 2020, 8:12 pm
Well done. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Weebson
Post subject: Re: Swordbucket (2.0)Posted: March 17th, 2022, 1:38 pm
Here something I've been working on for quite some time and apparently no one had ever done japanese swords here... sword which unfortunately quite underrated and also an actual noble warrior class (ie Samurai) sword which is a predecessor of a shorter and simpler - Uchigatana/Katana which is also a "successor" although both swords were used through Japanese history side by side as apposed to a popular believe that Uchigatana replaced the Tachi and no one had ever used it later on.... which is complete BS. sure Uchigatana was simpler and shorter hence why it was developed after Mongol Invasions of 1274 and 1281 after which Japanese warfare transitioned from primarily mounted archery and low count of armies (in Heian and Kamakura Jidai (Heian Jidai (era):794-1185/1192 Kamakura Jidai: 1185/1192-1336 numbers of Japanese armies were barely getting to thousand or so men) to brutal on foot, formational warfare with lots of conscripted soldiers drafted from peasantry class - Ashigaru (later however Ashigaru became a professional force, more so during rise of Oda Nobunaga) in which combat range became a lot closer making a dire need for a shorter swords that are also simpler to make so to arm large group of men with a secondary weapon (Yari spear/polearm, Pikes, Yumi warbow, and eventually in 1543 Teppo matchlocks being primary weapons), however Tachi were not faced out from the usage and was used by mid to high ranking samurai (hatamoto (elite soldiers of a clan, which could be considered as guard), personal retainers, minor lords and daimyo with shogun) and just by these samurai who could afford. Often these swords were more of a status symbol but they were used in combat quite often, advantages of tachi are obvious - longer reach, its comparable to a european longsword. However in 1590's Toyotomi Hideyoshi issued a Sword hunt edict banning usage of swords for everyday personel defence for classes below samurai and eventually Uchigtana became popular among samurai in Edo period (1615-1868), after Sengoku era (which ends after sieges of Osaka of 1615) in context of self defence, BUT Tachi reappeared in Bakumatsu but it was quite a rarity at this time. (but infamous Imperial Japanese Gunto swords were based on Tachi)

what are the differences between the Tachi and Uchigatana/Katana
Tachi have a a blade length of 75 to 90 cm, tsuka (handle) could be quite deverse though it could be everything from 18 cm to 30+ cm, while blade length of Uchigatana ranges from 60 to 80 (tsuka length also varies from 18 to 30+ cm)
overall length ranging from 95 cm to 116 cm, Uchigatana being 80 to 90 cm+
Curve and taper being the main deference between the two - generally but not always Tachi are a lot more curved and at the end it tapers sligthly on a profile view where as Uchigatana are in most cases are straighter and the thickness between the spine and cutting edge is the same through all length of a blade. bare in mind there was no standartisation so Uchigatana could be same length and curveture of Tachi and vise versa due to different blacksmithing methods, skills and preference of the one who orders the sword, but with a close inspection of a profile Katana give it self out :D . another and last difference is how it's worn and stored - Tachi are worn and stored with a cutting edge down and hangs to the belt via Ashi (hangers) whilst Uchigatana/Katana are inserted into the belt and a cutting edge faces upward. The signature of a blacksmith on a tachi is also placed on the side of the tang which faces outward when worn, while katana on the opposite side due to it being worn edge up

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ img ]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

since there are not much it at all Japanese swords feel free to use it for parts and stuff ;)
Huge thanks to: Mr Sinny who had helped me to fix the curveture of a blade, Skibud1998 aka Stark who had drawn Shiri-zaya fur cover and last but not least Pantsu for rust on the tang! Amazing teamwork

Last edited by Weebson on January 2nd, 2023, 1:38 pm, edited 23 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Weebson
Post subject: Re: Swordbucket (2.0)Posted: March 17th, 2022, 2:34 pm
Fittings explained:
mon/kamon/crest on Ashi (hangers) on the top most variant is a Minamoto mon, honestly trying to depict crests in a gunbucket scale is little pain...
[ img ]
also tried to make it look like chain mail and I dont think I had done the job with it...
[ img ]
Japanese didn't wrap their handles on their swords until end of Kamakura/start of Muramachi period, so ~1300 you see wrapped handles, plus earliest Tachis usally have a smaller then later ones handles and they have an insane curve, this is due to samurai being mounted archers and thus swords were more optomised for one handed usage but still having two handed option when you're suddenly on foot
on a middle of a battle, accordig to the story of a sword fittings are gifted by the Hojo clan: handle gets bigger and wrapped with purple ito, the saya is lacquered in black with Hori kanji (堀) + Hojo kamon
[ img ]

pattern(since Kamakura shogunate were Minamotos but after death of Yoritomo in 1198 Kamakura shogunate became a puppet of a Hojo clan, so essentially it's saying "Hori are a loyal vassals of a Hojo" saya (scabbard) is also wrapped.

[ img ]

Shiri-zaya were made from fur, and it was quite expensive at the time ESPECIALLY Tiger fur since there were no tigers in Japan so tiger fur was coming through trade with China and was most expensive fur you could find thus it was often a status symbol and way to showoff but it also has a function of keeping lacquer from cracking at low temperature
[ img ]

the bottom:
Fittings are a gift by Sanada clan who were vassals of a Takeda clan during the time when Hori Kyosuke (1540-1582) had served them from 1559 to 1562 before coming back home to Towada and becoming head of a Hori clan since his older brother Kyotsune deceased and his father - Kyoshiee not having heir in place to replace him before retirement.
[ img ]
Featuring a Hori kanji + Sanada six coin crest (It was believed that the spirits of warriors needed to pay a toll before boarding the river for the afterlife. These six coins were made to pay for one of the six paths in the Buddhist afterlife) as well as six coin mon being on the Ashi hangers + Black bear fur Shiri-zaya, wanted to put up manji crest on the end of a saya but I defo think there might be misunderstanding with moderation and people here in general had I drawn it...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manji
the sign on a tang is Sanjo Munechika (三条宗近), well I at least tried with a kanji on such scale haha

Slight update as for 17th of March 2022 20:30 local time: since I'm in Kiev and having the fact that there is such small and yet annoying thing called ummm... a war I might drop drawing any moment due to either not having time for it, or not having electricity or... well I won't mention it but you understood it. but while I can will draw something else and continue drawing some Japanese swords and other related Japanese feudal things but lets hope this is over soon

Last edited by Weebson on January 2nd, 2023, 1:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Swordbucket (2.0)Posted: March 18th, 2022, 8:00 pm
That's a fantastic work! :o

My only nit-picks (and not related to quality of Your work as such) are anti-aliased captions and that rust on one of swords - generally depictions of rust, as well as "wear and tear", dirt, damage etc. are rather not welcome in SB-style (as an extension of point 4.2 of the Style Guide).

[Profile] [Quote]
Weebson
Post subject: Re: Swordbucket (2.0)Posted: March 21st, 2022, 10:55 am
eswube wrote: *
That's a fantastic work! :o

My only nit-picks (and not related to quality of Your work as such) are anti-aliased captions and that rust on one of swords - generally depictions of rust, as well as "wear and tear", dirt, damage etc. are rather not welcome in SB-style (as an extension of point 4.2 of the Style Guide).
Ah I see... sad but alright I think, edited it out but thanks critisism

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 4  [ 39 posts ]  Return to “Non-Shipbucket Drawings” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: