Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
KimWerner
Post subject: Tutorial how to draw a CoAPosted: November 10th, 2011, 8:34 pm
I've been asked to make a CoA tutorial. Now I think I'm skilled enough to do that. The coat of arms, badge or crest are originally arised as a substitute for the figureheads which were on the old wooden man of wars. In my opinion there are four types:
Type 1: Badges created to the old heraldic rules. Sharp symbolic figures and only four colours (blue, red, green and black) and two metals (gold and silver). For the metals it's legal to substitute them with yellow and white if the right metal colour couldn't be obtained. Shadowing not allowed.
Especially the country in northern Europe follow these rules (Germany, Denmark, Norway, Sweden and others). Examples:
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]

Type 2a: Badges created in a modernised heraldic tradition. Still sharp symbolic figures but now with more free rules for colours and some shadowing allowed.
This rules are especially used by UK and the countries of Commonwealth but for example Netherlands and some countries in South America too. Examples:
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]

Type 2b: Basicly the same rules as Type 2a but taken here because there are some of the badges which motives are different from the ordinary rules. Greece and USA (after they uniformed the rules) are examples in that. Examples:
[ img ][ img ]

Type 3: Badges created in free form concerning both shield shape and motive and colours and shading. UK before 1920 and USA before they stated standards for crest's. Examples:
[ img ][ img ][ img ]

Type 4: Badges created in metal or wood. It's common in France and Italy. Examples:
[ img ][ img ]

All relevant Coat of Arms

[Profile] [Quote]
KimWerner
Post subject: Re: Tutorial how to draw a CoAPosted: November 10th, 2011, 8:35 pm
HOW TO DRAW A BADGE (It is made in Windows 7 Paint)

Step 1
[ img ]

Step 2
[ img ]

Step 3
[ img ]

Step 4
[ img ]

Step 5
[ img ]

Step 6
[ img ]

Step 7
[ img ]

Step 8
[ img ]

Step 9
[ img ]

Step 10
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Radome
Post subject: Re: Tutorial how to draw a CoAPosted: November 11th, 2011, 2:17 am
Bravo! did learn a new thing here.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rowdy36
Post subject: Re: Tutorial how to draw a CoAPosted: November 11th, 2011, 4:45 am
Wow thanks for that, this should prove a great help :)

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Tutorial how to draw a CoAPosted: November 11th, 2011, 12:49 pm
Very useful guide,I have RHAF CoAs to draw together with RHN.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Tutorial how to draw a CoAPosted: November 11th, 2011, 2:52 pm
All this is soooo coool, Kim! And as an added bonus I noticed you've drawn Suffren's coa! Did you do Duquesne's too?

[Profile] [Quote]
Caddaric79
Post subject: Re: Tutorial how to draw a CoAPosted: November 11th, 2011, 4:03 pm
Very nice explanation Kim.
I still wonder how do you do in the case of metal badge. Do you "clean the outside" part after part ?

[Profile] [Quote]
KimWerner
Post subject: Re: Tutorial how to draw a CoAPosted: November 11th, 2011, 5:24 pm
Caddaric79 wrote:
Very nice explanation Kim.
I still wonder how do you do in the case of metal badge. Do you "clean the outside" part after part ?
:o The metal badges are some tough ones. Yes I clean up the shield totally except for the contrast lines for the motive. Then I fill in the metal colours often in two layers to obtain the right metallic look ;) It's a nit picking work but - as you can see - it's worth it :!:

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Tutorial how to draw a CoAPosted: November 11th, 2011, 6:22 pm
Damn! Now no excuse for not doing our own ;)

:D

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Tutorial how to draw a CoAPosted: November 11th, 2011, 7:37 pm
Drats! I wonder how I could at all draw my ships with the crappy paint I have on my computer! I look st Kim's screens and wonder where the sodden are all those functions on mine??? Anyway, still a very instructive tutorial!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Return to “Coats of Arms and Ship's Badges” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: