Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 1 post ] 
Sheepster
Post subject: Left vs Right, Port vs StarboardPosted: November 1st, 2020, 11:43 pm
The FD style has the right/starboard side as the default view. Most 3-views and other illustrations show the left/port as the typical view, so to convert a general illustration to an FD template a simple mirror image transformation works to give an outline. Simple enough for the outline, but the details found on each side are often very different - in particular doors and windows tend to be located differently on each side, and often doors and hatches are only one side.
From my part I've often found that other artists' models I've wanted to give a new colour-scheme to are too inaccurate due to this incorrect handedness. I've sometimes illustrated both left and right views, showing the different arrangements for each side, and adjusting the shading to give a constant lighting source for both models.
[ img ]
So just another factor to consider when researching a model you are drawing up; are the left and right sides identical?

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 1 post ]  Return to “FD Scale Drawings”

Jump to: