Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 41 of 50  [ 493 posts ]  Go to page « 139 40 41 42 4350 »
Sheepster
Post subject: Re: FD Aircraft 18Posted: October 2nd, 2021, 10:14 am
Payen Pa 22

Payen continued with his radical designing, and planned to construct France's first jet aircraft (both a single-engine and a twin-engine model!) as a further development of the Pa 100.

[ img ]

Henri Mélot had designed a steam/oil ramjet engine and in 1935 Payen designed a twin-engined version of the "Avion-Flèche" with Meteor/Me262-style under-wing engine pods as the Pa 100/1R - later renamed the Pa 260.
A single-engined version was designed as a new racer for the upcoming 1939 Coupe Deutsch de la Meurthe race as the Pa 22/1R and construction was started. However the engine design failed to deliver enough power for flight and so the airframe was repurposed to house a Regnier piston engine as the Pa 22/2. The Pa22/2 was in windtunnel testing in 1940 when Germany invaded France and captured the aircraft.
The German's were intrigued by the design, and allowed design work to continue. The German standard of "V" for test vehicles was adopted, and the aircraft became the Pa 22 V2. Modifications were made to the tail, and further work done on redesigning the whole aircraft rear structure. The Pa 22 V3 design study investigated a more orthodox tail as already planned for the Pa 225 racer, while the Pa 22 V4 modelled twin tailplanes as planned on the earlier Pa 350CD racer design.
The Pa 22 V2 was eventually modified to become the PA 22 V5 with the Pa 225-style tail and a bubble canopy. The German authorities wanted the aircraft removed to Germany for further testing, but Payen procrastinated demanding additional engineering work to upgrade the aircraft with retractible gear, additional fuel tankage and variable propellers. While this work was being undertaken the Payen facility was destroyed by Allied bombing of the neighbouring rail yard.
Two additional models were designed; the Pa 22/6 which was to have V4-style twin tailplanes and possibly Ju52-style floating ailerons from the canard foreplanes (unfortunately I have not been able to find any illustrations of this model), and the Pa 22/7.
Continuing with Payen's futuristic designing, the Pa22/7 was to feature variable geometry, with the foreplanes pivoting back to connect to the delta mainplane.
Work on Payen's "Avion-Flèche" series was not recommenced after the war, with Payen continuing with new designs.

I had been hoping to use Payen's designs into my Manchester AU, but unfortunately the complete lack of official interest from France and the inability of the Germans to make a success of the Pa 22 meant that I don't believe that any production model could have come from these designs - regardless of how gorgeous they would have been.
I have followed 1940 German aviation down the rabbit-hole and so been busy drawing rather than writing up the AU. Looking forward to finishing the events of Yugoslavia and beyond in the next week or two.

Corrected white shading

Last edited by Sheepster on October 2nd, 2021, 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: FD Aircraft 18Posted: October 2nd, 2021, 4:51 pm
Nice additions.

@Yqueleden, Sheepster
I am afraid, that for never-weres there's a separate thread. By never-were we understand the aircraft that was never actually built at all or was planned in the real world, but never actually existed in the form depicted on the drawing (includes failed exports). (That said, even if an aircraft never took off the ground, but was actually completed up to the last screw - just, for example - caught fire and exploded minutes before first take off - it counts as real one and it would belong to this thread - but for mock-ups, incomplete prototypes and "planned" production variants there's that other thread)

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2149

@Sheepster
I have a feeling, that You could find this thread interesting. At least I hope You would:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10301

(and it refers to BOTH Payen drawings)

Oh, and I have a feeling, that there's a tail of another aircraft sticking out behind the tail of Pa 22 V2.

[Profile] [Quote]
Yqueleden
Post subject: Re: FD Aircraft 18Posted: October 2nd, 2021, 5:56 pm
The Merckle SM-87 flew. Three prototypes of the helicopter were built and tested, and one (the first) crashed. The prototypes were rebuilt several times (at least, as the pictures exist) and in the museum where one of them is preserved there is also a model with the colors I have posted.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: FD Aircraft 18Posted: October 2nd, 2021, 6:08 pm
@Yqueleden
I know that this one flew:
[ img ]

But this one - and You wrote it Yourself - did NOT:
[ img ]

This means, that the first one is for this thread, while the other one is for the Never-Were thread.

[Profile] [Quote]
Sheepster
Post subject: Re: FD Aircraft 18Posted: October 2nd, 2021, 11:36 pm
Hi @eswube.
Yes, I know the never were/actually flown separation, but deliberately busted that rule for the Pa22 to have them all together as a family. Sorry, but as you combine multiple models into one illustration in the archive thought that that saves you a bit of work :)

The Pa 22V2 is correct, it was modified under German sponsorship with a larger rudder using the Pa 225 pattern, and initially at least left bare metal. I would image it was a part of the redesign process that led to the alternate tailplane arrangements of the following V-models. I found the swastika awkward as it needs a white border, but at that size I couldn't get it to work so left it without.

[ img ]

Interesting the different shades of white! I'll run through and check everything I've still got to post ...

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: FD Aircraft 18Posted: October 3rd, 2021, 8:41 am
@Sheepster
Indeed, I tend to combine drawings for upload, but it does not apply to Real-Life/Never-Were divide - FD-scale Archive is much more flexible than the SB-scale one, but this one thing (and the Land/Sea/Air/Organizational Charts divide) is strict (for a reason) and can't be really manipulated.
But thank You for Your concern about my workload. Seriously. (even if it backfired badly in this case ;) )
(and I wouldn't even notice that background shade discrepancy if I didn't had to split the files into RL and NW ;) )

Re: swastika - at that size, I'd suggest either doing it with white border (and bit smaller, I guess), at the expense of making it practically unrecognizable, or to draw it "straight" instead of rotated 45 degrees (which would look awkward too, but I have a feeling that somebody already did it once or twice here).

And great work with the Never-Were Payens in the other thread!

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: FD Aircraft 18Posted: October 4th, 2021, 4:30 pm
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Yqueleden
Post subject: Re: FD Aircraft 18Posted: October 4th, 2021, 5:15 pm
I'm out of town, I'll fix it when I get back.

Greetings

[Profile] [Quote]
Bordkanone 75
Post subject: Re: FD Aircraft 18Posted: October 5th, 2021, 3:31 pm
[ img ]
Great Britain, Gloster Gauntlet Mk II
The penultimate biplane of the RAF.

[Profile] [Quote]
The_Sprinklez
Post subject: Re: FD Aircraft 18Posted: October 6th, 2021, 2:03 am
United States of America, Cessna 182 Skylane Family
[ img ]

United States of America, Cessna 182T Skylane (Civil Air Patrol)
[ img ]

United States of America, Lockheed Martin F-16C Block 30 Viper (Southeast Asia Camouflage)
[ img ]

United States of America, Convair F-102 Delta Dagger (79th FIS)
[ img ]

fin.

Im Schatten des Adlers - An Alternate History Timeline: http://shipbucket.com/wiki/index.php/Ca ... des_Adlers

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 41 of 50  [ 493 posts ]  Return to “FD Scale Drawings” | Go to page « 139 40 41 42 4350 »

Jump to: