Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
nestor_d
Post subject: 20th Century Air Superiority Jet Fighter Challenge [UNOFFICIAL]Posted: March 27th, 2022, 8:32 pm
Hello everyone! I've been using some of you guys' drawing recently to turn them into 3D models and I've been having a lot of fun with that, so I cleared it with the admin team and decided to run an unofficial challenge to take some of the winners and make 3D models out of them! Since it's unofficial, none of this is going in the wiki. But you'll get a full 3D version of your very nice drawings. I'm currently thinking of doing the top-3, depending on how many people participate. For the winners, other than high-res images of the final version, I can also give you the 3D file in the format of your choosing.

With that context out of the way, here's what you need to know:

Design parameters
- Design a fighter jet that is able to perform the air-superiority role and that could have been credibly designed during the 20th century.
- This means it can be anything from a late WWII fighter, up to a 5th gen fighter, since the F-22 was designed and first flew in the 90s, but 6th gen is out.
- The design has to be your own but it's ok to have clear influences, it just can't be a slight modification of an existing plane. So, for example something like a carrier-capable version of the F-15 wouldn't count, but something like a twin-engine, twin-vertical stabilizer, full tailplane Gripen would be different enough from the original.
- It can be a multirole fighter, and design choices can be made explicitly for that purpose, as long as it can perform the air superiority role unhindered.
- Regular FD scale parameters apply.
- Since the purpose of this is to turn it into 3D it's highly desireable to provide side, front, and top views, but at least side and top are a must.
- Don't be afraid to go a little whacky!

Length
- Entries can be made until April 30th 2022 at 11:59 CST
- After the entries are all in, there will be a one-week poll to decide the winner

Rules
- Only one entry per person (updating liveries, camo, loadout, etc, for the same plane is allowed).
- Specifications and background history are encouraged, but not required
- Drawing does not have to be made specifically for this challenge, as long as it is your own
- Deciding poll will be open to anyone
- Voters are encouraged to vote based first on looks and feasibility, and everything else up to you

Finally, I'm not the most talented 3D artist on here, but so you know what to expect from the prize if you win here are the FD drawings I've turned into 3D so far: 1) Garlicdesign's SCI T3S Siolpaire, 2) rundrewrun99's Lockheed C-80 Murciélago, 3) Themax and Kat2's Paladini-Mosset R-26, 4) The_Sprinklez's Sachs Sa 28A-1 Uhu
[ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ]

Last edited by nestor_d on March 28th, 2022, 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
BillKerman1234
Post subject: Re: 20th Century Air Superiority Jet Fighter Challenge [UNOFFICIAL]Posted: March 28th, 2022, 1:30 am
I've been working on a shipborne fighter-interceptor from the mid 1970s for one of my AUs for a while, and this seems like a pretty good place to put it for now. So far I've completed a three-view for her without camo and carrying a basic long-duration patrol armament, though I plan on drawing more versions with various camo schemes and loadouts and adding them to my entry at some point (if that's allowed).

The fighter is based the V-507 and F-14, with the profile of the former downscaled to the size of the latter, and is meant to perform fleet air defence against enemy maritime strike aircraft, with a major focus on long-range interception thanks to her very powerful nose-mounted radar array and complement of four to six Type 50 LRAAMs. In addition to that she also has a high top speed, good thrust-to weight ratio, and surprisingly manoeuvrable airframe which allows her to effectively combat aircraft that slip though at shorter ranges as well. Some later versions were also upgraded strike-eagle style with larger fuel tanks and advanced sensors and avionics to let her perform ground strike and SEAD missions, though for obvious reasons I won't be posting those here.

Specifications (F-37A1):

Name: Shinden [Magnificent Lightning]
Role: Shipborne air-defence fighter-interceptor
National origin: United States of Akitsukuni
First flight: 16th of June 1971
Introduction: 29th of August 1975
Retired: 1st of May 2029
Produced: 1970 to 1995
Number built: 874

Crew: 2 (Pilot and Weapon Systems Officer)
Length: 18.01 meters overall
Wingspan: 16.57 meters with wings fully extended, 9.05 meters with wings fully swept back
Height: 4.35 meters with gear up, 5.34 meters with gear down
Weight: 17,200 kilograms while empty, 23,600 kilograms at gross weight, 28,600 kilograms at maximum take-off capacity
Powerplant: 2 x Type 115A3 afterburning turbofan engines, each producing 74 kilonewtons of thrust dry to 132 kilonewtons of thrust wet

Max speed: 2,550 kilometres per hour (Mach 2.4) at altitude
Max range: 2,750 kilometres
Combat range: 850 kilometres
Service ceiling: 18 kilometres
G-force limits: 9.5 gee for brief periods
Climb rate: 250 meters per second
Thrust-weight: 0.64 at gross weight while burning dry, 1.14 at gross weight while burning wet

Guns: 1 x 20 millimetre Type 61A2 rotary cannon
Hardpoints: 11 total with a maximum capacity of 6,800 kilograms (1 centreline, 4 under-fuselage (obscured by centreline), 4 under nacelles, and 2 under wing-gloves)
- Missiles: Type 1 AAM, Type 42 AAM, Type 50 LRAAM, Type 99 SOCM
- Bombs: Type 70 unguided iron bombs, Standard series remote-targeted munitions (using other aircraft for guidance), Type 65 and Type 66 special weapons

[ img ]

"Oh, absolutely not. Trinitite may be an eldritch being that breaks the laws of physics, but even she can't replicate the insanity that is German Engineering!" - PyrrhicSteel on whether Trinities' machine shops can make a new gasket for a crane
“Yes, strategy,” she replied to Evelyn’s withering look. “Because I am merely an amateur. I cannot talk logistics.” - Seven Shades of Sunlight, in a latter chapter of Katalepsis

Last edited by BillKerman1234 on March 30th, 2022, 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
nestor_d
Post subject: Re: 20th Century Air Superiority Jet Fighter Challenge [UNOFFICIAL]Posted: March 28th, 2022, 1:47 am
BillKerman1234 wrote: *
I've been working on a shipborne fighter-interceptor from the mid 1970s for one of my AUs for a while, and this seems like a pretty good place to put it for now. So far I've completed a three-view for her without camo and carrying a basic long-duration patrol armament, though I plan on drawing more versions with various camo schemes and loadouts and adding them to my entry at some point (if that's allowed).
Yes! that is allowed. Should've specified in the original post. Edited to include that.

[Profile] [Quote]
nestor_d
Post subject: Re: 20th Century Air Superiority Jet Fighter Challenge [UNOFFICIAL]Posted: April 13th, 2022, 7:40 pm
Hello everyone. Just bumping up this post in case anyone who might have been interested missed it. Hopefully we'll get more than just one entry 😅

I'll only do this this once so as not to spam

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: 20th Century Air Superiority Jet Fighter Challenge [UNOFFICIAL]Posted: April 15th, 2022, 9:47 am
nestor_d wrote: *
Hello everyone. Just bumping up this post in case anyone who might have been interested missed it. Hopefully we'll get more than just one entry 😅

I'll only do this this once so as not to spam
Most people add entries to challenges at the last minute, but indeed it would be a shame if this particular challenge were to be a flop in terms of number of entries. Your 3D drawings are excellent work, and although outside the main sphere of "official" interest here, it's really great to see someone like You, who wishes to spend his time to the benefit of wider community, so I hope it will be properly appreciated by wider audience.

[Profile] [Quote]
st_lawrence
Post subject: Re: 20th Century Air Superiority Jet Fighter Challenge [UNOFFICIAL]Posted: April 20th, 2022, 1:50 pm
Even though I never posted about it (yet), I have a personal AU that I have been working on for some time. I decided to take the opportunity this challenge gave me to improve my skills at drawing jet aircrafts, which I did little so far. So I present you with Sweden’s most famous carrier fighter, the FFVS J 36 Näcken.

Background
In 1954, just as Saab’s new Draken fighter was taking off, the Royal Swedish Navy was starting to look for a modern interceptor to replace its navalized Lansens and protect the two new carriers they were planning to build. Early on in the process, Saab proposed the navy a heavily modified version of the J 35, but because of all the extra equipment required by a carrier-borne fighter, the adapted design lacked the key features of the original Draken. Just on paper, it was overweight and it lacked the Draken’s most attractive feature, namely its manoeuvrability.

Unsatisfied, the Swedish navy started looking for a foreign design. But before a choice could be made, FFVS approached the navy with an idea of its own, based around an abandoned design they had previously drafted for a light bomber. The firm had not built a homegrown design since its World War Two great success, the J 22. Instead, FFVS had survived thanks to maintenance contracts and the production of licensed aircrafts like the J 28 (de Havilland Vampire and Sea Vampire) and the T 20 (English Electric Canberra). Nevertheless, their proposition to the navy was deemed interesting and a prototype was ordered. The J 36 Nacken flew for the first time on 2 May 1957 and after a series a successful trials, was ordered into production. Because the new 33,000 tons carriers of the Riksnyckeln-class were yet to be completed, the first deck landing trials took place aboard the 20,000 tons Dristigheten and Gotland until October 1958 when an aircraft was destroyed after a failed landing on Gotland. The crew escaped unscathed, but the trials were suspended until March 1960 when HSwMS Riksnyckeln was ready to receive the aircrafts. At this point, a full squadron of J 36-A was operational.

In 1961 the new B model was introduced, it featured new avionics and was the first variant of the J 36 to accommodate the AIM-9 Sidewinder, known in Swedish service as the Rb 24. With 228 units built, plus 22 conversions from the A model, the J 36-B would be the most-produced version of the Nacken. The aircraft was designed around a pair of Roll Royce Avon turbojet and featured a characteristic high swept-wing. It was manned by a crew of two: the pilot and the radar operator. The latter was in charge of the sophisticated weapon system designed in order to require minimal ground instruction when in flight. The armament consisted of two IR-guided Rb 24 mounted on pylons under the wings and of four SARH Rb 28 (AIM-4F Falcon) in the missiles bay under the fuselage that could also accommodate extra fuel inside of it. When loaded with four missiles, each falcon was mounted on top of each other, separated by a rotary door with two missiles inside and two out. In 1966, the more performant Rb 27 (AIM-26B) was introduced and was adapted to the Nacken.

Designed as an interceptor, and used as a fighter for most of its career, the J 36 would turn out to be a good multirole aircraft. Better in fact in this role than Saab's Draken. The Nacken was manoeuvrable enough, although of course not as much as the Draken, and was supersonic at sea level. At altitude, it could reach Mach 1.8. Swedish Nackens were never fitted with built-in guns but the export variant sold to the Ducth Navy had four ADEN cannons mounted in the missiles bay. Throughout the years, the Nacken acquired a reputation as a reliable and safe aircraft, and although it might not have been cutting-edge, everywhere it went, it always represented a valuable asset.

In the end, 495 Nackens were produced between 1957 and 1971. They served both the Royal Swedish Navy and Air Force (albeit in smaller numbers). J 36 were exported to the Netherlands in 1963 – who later sold 50 of their aircrafts to New Holland – and Spain in 1965. A number of captured former Dutch airframes were also used by the newly-formed Congolese Air Force in the late 1980s. In the Swedish navy, Nackens started to be replaced in the late 1970s and in 1984 the last operational unit was stood down.

[ img ]

General characteristics
Crew: 2
Lenght: 15.07 m (49 ft 6 in)
Wingspan: 8.37 m (27 ft 5 in)
Height: 4.13 m (13 ft 8 in)
Empty weight: 29,600 lb
Gross weight: 41,200 lb
Max Takeoff weight: 50,000 lb
Powerplant: two Svenska Flygmotor RM6C (license-build Rolls Royce Avon); 12,700 lbf dry – 17,600 lbf wet

Performance
Max speed: Mach 1.8 at 35,000 ft
Ferry range: 1,782 NM
Combat range: 594 NM
Ceiling: 60,000 ft
Rate of climb: 30,000 ft/min
Thrust-to-weight ratio: 0.85 at gross weight

Armament
Missiles: 2x Rb 24 and 4x Rb 27 AAM or 4x Rb 28
Bombs: up to 12,000 lb

[Profile] [Quote]
nestor_d
Post subject: Re: 20th Century Air Superiority Jet Fighter Challenge [UNOFFICIAL]Posted: May 6th, 2022, 9:57 pm
Alright! looks like it's just two entries, so I think there's no reason to vote, and I will just do both!

[Profile] [Quote]
st_lawrence
Post subject: Re: 20th Century Air Superiority Jet Fighter Challenge [UNOFFICIAL]Posted: May 9th, 2022, 12:00 am
Thank you Nestor for this challenge! I know it probably didn't attract as many people as you wanted but I must say I personally enjoyed trying my hand at jet aircrafts.

I also checked out your 3d work on Sketchfab and I was impressed! You are good at this. Now I'm very curious to see how my J 36 will look 'for real'.

So yeah, thank you Nestor for the challenge and kudos to BillKerman and his great-looking F-37!

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: 20th Century Air Superiority Jet Fighter Challenge [UNOFFICIAL]Posted: May 15th, 2022, 10:05 am
Such a great pity that there were only 2 submissions (although both of high quality).
I hope that it won't discourage You from further presence on SB.

[Profile] [Quote]
nighthunter
Post subject: Re: 20th Century Air Superiority Jet Fighter Challenge [UNOFFICIAL]Posted: May 16th, 2022, 11:20 am
I am unable to draw top views, but here is a poor man's submission:

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Return to “FD Scale Drawings” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: