Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ] 
Aloysius
Post subject: Open question about Soviet use of 'Technical' or 'FAV' type vehiclesPosted: September 11th, 2022, 10:59 pm
For those in the know, was there anything in Cold War (1970s-80s) Soviet or Warsaw Pact doctrine that called for the use of MG, Recoilless Rifle, or Missile-armed jeeps, trucks, or the like? I do know of the use of Soviet 'gun trucks' in Afghanistan, but I don't know of anything resembling the SAS Land Rovers, the Fast Attack Vehicles trialed by the US, or even the various TOW and MILAN armed jeeps used by other various western nations. Were those roles supposed to be filled exclusively by BRDMs or other armored cars, or were there still instances (Special Operations) of the speed and maneuverability of soft-skin vehicles taking precedence over armor?
Let me hear y'all's thoughts.
[ img ]
Fast Attack Vehicle of 9th Infantry Division (Motorized), Korea '86

EDIT: Note to mods, if this is the wrong place for this sort of thread, delete it and I'll remake it in the proper spot.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: Open question about Soviet use of 'Technical' or 'FAV' type vehiclesPosted: September 12th, 2022, 11:21 am
There was no such specific doctrine. Use of off road vehicles in recon, command units, special forces was part of normal mechanized doctrine. Mostly jeeps like vehicles as fast, small and economical way of transportation. Armed were mostly basic but some receive later some more powerful systems, but still it was used as weapon carriers, not specific doctrine systems. Mostly because NATO and WarPac doctrines circle around nuclear war, non protected vehicles could not survive such conflict so there was no sense to create specialized formations and doctrine for them. SpeOps are different bunch as they de facto are light infantry that rely on speed and stealth and they do get all the fancy toys.

Technicals are also different bag, they are specific created in low intensity, "third word" conflicts. Rebels, bush wars, insurrections, counter-insurrection fights. But use of such vehicles is mostly ad hoc in both NATO and WarPac in 70/80's

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]  Return to “FD Scale Drawings”

Jump to: