Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ] 
sanchez
Post subject: Project 1248 Moskit River Gunboat (FD scale)Posted: July 9th, 2011, 11:42 pm
Mods,

Not sure if I should put this here, as it's a beginner's drawing (my first... ever) or in the FD section because it is FD scale. Please move if appropriate.

Anyways, I stumbled across a photo of one of these today and it's pretty cool looking. I figured it would be interesting to try as a first go at an SB-style drawing, albeit in FD scale. I think SB scale would be a little too simple and miss some detail, but maybe if I like doing this, I'll eventually give it a go.

I originally planned to do this as part of an AU storyline I've been tinkering with - specifically, Nigeria falls into civil war and various countries intervene. I was gonna give a couple of these to the Nigerian military, with Niger river and littoral color schemes. To keep things historical, I'll try my hand at a Soviet, and maybe later Russian, border guard version first.

Anyways, here is is. So far it's 100% mine, save the Soviet color palette. Traced a high res drawing I found in GIMP, made some layers and am coloring it in with Paint since I'm still a bit confused about how to get my coloring layer in GIMP to be semi-transparent.

And yes, it is very much WIP.

[ img ]

Edit: Hm... photobucket seems to be blurring it a little bit.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Project 1248 Moskit River Gunboat (FD scale)Posted: July 10th, 2011, 1:43 am
Err... That is SB, FD is one pixel=4.45cm

Welcome however

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
Carthaginian
Post subject: Re: Project 1248 Moskit River Gunboat (FD scale)Posted: July 10th, 2011, 2:21 am
It almost looks like he drew a ship to FD scale on an SB template.
A handsome ship for a riverine vessel.
Looks like a T-62 tank turret forward.

[Profile] [Quote]
sanchez
Post subject: Re: Project 1248 Moskit River Gunboat (FD scale)Posted: July 10th, 2011, 2:42 am
Uh, it's 22 pixels to the meter, unless my calculations were totally off.

It is a tiny ship in real life. And with a T-55 turret, not T-62. That may be my lack of skills showing, though.

[ img ]

And yes, it's a modified SB template. I just wanted to check to see the right places to put things. Note the scale at the top...

[Profile] [Quote]
Carthaginian
Post subject: Re: Project 1248 Moskit River Gunboat (FD scale)Posted: July 10th, 2011, 3:36 am
Meh... all those Russians look alike- they're just so short and dome-headed.
Hard to tell one of them from another. :twisted:
Awesome little ship, though... really like her.
Wonder if there are any hulls around for sale- would make a nice little live-aboard cruiser for here on the Gulf Coast.

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Project 1248 Moskit River Gunboat (FD scale)Posted: July 10th, 2011, 8:17 am
moved.

Its clearly stated in the description forum that all drawings needs to be SB scale and style

[Profile] [Quote]
sanchez
Post subject: Re: Project 1248 Moskit River Gunboat (FD scale)Posted: July 18th, 2011, 11:30 pm
Update with details. Any advice on shading?

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]  Return to “FD Scale Drawings”

Jump to: