Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 92 of 97  [ 968 posts ]  Go to page « 190 91 92 93 9497 »
Hood
Post subject: Re: FD scale Never Built DesignsPosted: February 28th, 2021, 9:57 am
Convair always knew how to design a sci-fi looking aircraft!

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: FD scale Never Built DesignsPosted: February 28th, 2021, 6:28 pm
Hood wrote: *
Convair always knew how to design a sci-fi looking aircraft!
They certainly did. The Model 62 (58-9) was based on the B-58C / B/J-58, which was one of the growth proposals for the B-58 Hustler. I co-wrote a bit of fiction with e of pi called The Last of the Clippers which outlined a timeline where (a slightly modified version of) the aircraft is picked as an interim American SST - and there is no solution so permanent as an interim one.

I'm considering a few AUish liveries for the plane while I am at it.

[Profile] [Quote]
Sheepster
Post subject: Re: FD scale Never Built DesignsPosted: April 8th, 2021, 11:34 pm
Rogožarski IK-3 unflown models

Not quite "never built", but rather "never flown" development models of the Rogožarski IK-3.

[ img ]

With the problems of accessing foreign made components for all Yugoslav assembled aircraft, the IK-3 suffered from production delays. The engine was originally a French-manufactured Hispano-Suiza, then changed to a Czech-built version. But with the ready availability of DB 601 engines the first production aircraft was retained by Rogožarski to test the fitting of the same engine as the Bf 109. While the upgraded series 2 prototype flew the day after the Axis invasion, the DB 601 prototype was not yet completed, but only days away from getting airborne.
At the factory another airframe was under construction for a two-seat trainer version of the IK-3.
With the Yugoslav capitulation, both airframes were destroyed by factory staff to prevent them falling in to German hands.

Last edited by Sheepster on April 11th, 2021, 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Sheepster
Post subject: Re: FD scale Never Built DesignsPosted: April 11th, 2021, 12:05 am
Rogožarski IK-5

Another design killed by the Axis invasion of Yugoslavia, following on from the IK-3, engineers at Rogožarski had designed a twin-engined heavy fighter.

[ img ]

Design work started in early 1939, with wind tunnel testing later that year. Cutting of metal only commenced though in early 1941. Visiting the factory in 1940 Igor Sikorsky examined the work and stated that the aircraft would become the world's fastest twin-engine fighter. Such was the confidence in the design that before waiting for the construction of the prototype an immediate order for 15 pre-production aircraft was placed.
Once again, foreign supply of the Hispano-Suiza was problematic, and work commenced on modifying the design to also take the DB 601's which were more readily available.
By the time of the Axis invasion the prototype airframe was in construction, but no wings had been built. All work was then halted and the design was not progressed.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: FD scale Never Built DesignsPosted: April 11th, 2021, 8:03 am
Great additions Sheepster, always good to see more of these lesser known aircraft.
Do you have a source that confirms the tandem-seat trainer IK-3 variant had actually begun construction before the German invasion? I've seen other references that say it was unbuilt, but I guess it might be difficult to prove either way?
It certainly shows though that Yugoslavia were building up a good aviation industry before the war, one that tends to get overlooked since its efforts were cut short by the German and Italian occupation.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Sheepster
Post subject: Re: FD scale Never Built DesignsPosted: April 11th, 2021, 2:14 pm
Hi @Hood.
I can't guarantee wood and metal were actually cut on the IK-3/2. I have no "paper" sources, only what I've been able to hunt out with random searches, so third and fourth hand sources at best. Where the IK-3/2 is referenced little is stated of it apart from the design's existence, although there are a couple of good (and different) profile views of it. I did find one that mentioned construction was started and chose to run with that possibility. With the destruction of WWII it is certainly not beyond possibility that at least some degree of component construction was started and the records lost.
Even the DB 601 version isn't as cut-&-dry as it should be, as I found a Russian language site that stated that the re-engined version being assembled was a Merlin-engined model, even though every other reference that mentions it states that the original Merlin suggestion was not carried forward as there was no option to mount a gun through the Merlin - unlike the DB 601.
If only Yugoslavia had been able to remain out of the War, the Royal Yugoslav Air Force of 1942 would have been a world-class fighting force (and Turkey would have flown IK-3's instead of Fw190's).

[Profile] [Quote]
TaskForce51
Post subject: Re: FD scale Never Built DesignsPosted: April 15th, 2021, 9:30 am
Republic F-103A Thunderwarrior - USA

The Republic XF-103 only made it to the mockup stage. It's become a famous "what-if" aircraft since then.

USAF, 94th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron, "Hat in the Ring" '
Selfridge Air Force Base, MI 1961

USAF, 5th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron, "Spittin' Kittens"
Minot Air Force Base, ND 1963

USAF, 16th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron, "Tomahawks"
Chia-Yi Airfield, Taiwan 1959

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: FD scale Never Built DesignsPosted: April 18th, 2021, 5:36 pm
Nice.
(although I can't say I like the place where the wing leading edge meets fuselage - near the "U" in "U.S.Air Force - now it goes from 3-pixel thickness to 2 and then 1 pixel - I'd make it 3 pixel going right to 1 pixel)

[Profile] [Quote]
dalamace
Post subject: Re: FD scale Never Built DesignsPosted: April 30th, 2021, 12:10 pm
The Bloch MB 162 if in French service and given its intended armaments.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Armoured man
Post subject: Re: FD scale Never Built DesignsPosted: April 30th, 2021, 1:36 pm
Kawanishi KX-9
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 92 of 97  [ 968 posts ]  Return to “FD Scale Drawings” | Go to page « 190 91 92 93 9497 »

Jump to: