Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 6 of 10  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page « 14 5 6 7 810 »
Trojan
Post subject: Re: Zealandia In FD ScalePosted: December 16th, 2013, 2:03 am
[ img ]
Hunter mod with AN/APG-36 radar, more to come including including some Zealandia takes on Atlantian designs.
Background: Zealandia in the mid fifties was operating primarily Zealandia Aircraft Corporation Sabres, a homebuilt version of the CAC Sabre, as well as Hawker Hunters, Meteors, and Vampires. To both meet a requirement for a supersonic all-weather fighter and continue the use of the Avon as the primary fighter engine, it was decided to jointly produce an all-weather hunter with Australia instead of buying F-86Ds.

References and feedback is always welcome!

Last edited by Trojan on December 16th, 2013, 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
nighthunter
Post subject: Re: Zealandia In FD ScalePosted: December 16th, 2013, 2:13 am
That is a pretty paint scheme!

[Profile] [Quote]
Trojan
Post subject: Re: Zealandia In FD ScalePosted: December 16th, 2013, 2:45 am
Thanks!
The real compliments go to you though for your excellent Hunter and to DP for his fantastic F-86D which I took the radar from.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Zealandia In FD ScalePosted: December 16th, 2013, 10:12 am
That is really nice looking. If that was a thin-wing Hunter then indeed you'd have a true supersonic all-weather type. Hang a couple of Sidewinders on there and you've got a good all-purpose interceptor.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Redhorse
Post subject: Re: Zealandia In FD ScalePosted: December 16th, 2013, 2:17 pm
Quote:
The schemes looks ine to me though why anyone would choose the Tigershark over say the similarly priced F-16 is beyond me.
General Dynamics dropped the price of the F-16 during evaluations. The lower price won out. I was living in Fort Worth when GD (now Lockheed Martin) was building them. Their test flight route ran right over one of the Boy Scout Camps my troop would use, and the pilots would regularly buzz the pool during the summer.

Current Projects:
Republic of Texas Navy
FD Scale F-14s

[Profile] [Quote]
nighthunter
Post subject: Re: Zealandia In FD ScalePosted: December 16th, 2013, 3:52 pm
Redhorse, Brother, Glad to see you again!

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Zealandia In FD ScalePosted: December 16th, 2013, 4:23 pm
Redhorse wrote:
General Dynamics dropped the price of the F-16 during evaluations. The lower price won out. I was living in Fort Worth when GD (now Lockheed Martin) was building them. Their test flight route ran right over one of the Boy Scout Camps my troop would use, and the pilots would regularly buzz the pool during the summer.
Yeah, the F-16 had too much, as you might say, momentum behind it (R&D, marketing, money etc)

[Profile] [Quote]
Trojan
Post subject: Re: Zealandia In FD ScalePosted: December 17th, 2013, 1:50 am
Thanks Hood, yeah they are sidewinder capable I just prefer the "clean" look. I used the FGA.9 Hunter because I thought the combination of the strengthened wing and drogue parachute would help make up for the issues the radars extra weight would cause, is supersonic flight still possible?

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Zealandia In FD ScalePosted: December 17th, 2013, 10:53 am
Supersonic in a dive. The cancelled supersonic version which would have had a thinner and increased sweep wing would have been supersonic in level flight. It was though probably behind the curve in 1956 given the supersonic types then under development by the Superpowers.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Trojan
Post subject: Re: Zealandia In FD ScalePosted: December 20th, 2013, 12:00 am
[ img ]
Zealandia in cooperation with Northrop decided in the early 80s to design a follow up to their F-20 Tigersharks. By 1989 the first F-21Cs were entering service, finally allowing the last Super Tigers to be retired. While the end of the cold war both spurred production and export sales, the Air Force still ordered 35 F-21s to join their 55 F-20s. Today the F-21C serve as the primary fighter of the air force until the Gripen NG enters service, with the F-20s having all been sold or retired as result of defense cuts.
More drawings with different weapon combinations (Harpoon, Maverick, smart bombs python etc...) soon to come.
To Hood about the Hunter FGA.9Z, if its specifications were inline with the other late Hunter variants (F.6 and beyond) do you think it would it be fast enough to be a useful all weather fighter?

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 6 of 10  [ 100 posts ]  Return to “FD Scale Drawings” | Go to page « 14 5 6 7 810 »

Jump to: