Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 4  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 »
TimothyC
Post subject: Photobucket changes, and what this means to youPosted: February 5th, 2013, 9:20 am
As some of you may, or may not be aware, Photobucket is changing their rules in 28 days (from the time I post this message). The way that they are planning on changing the rules is such that the new system won't support what we do here.

The new Photobucket upload options can be found here, and here

Let me quote the from the second link.
Quote:
Unfortunately, there isn't a way to get photos uploaded previously in their original size. The original size photos will only be stored on the New Photobucket, and any images uploaded previously before the switch over will not have their original sizes available. Only the web-size version will be available for previously uploaded photos.
Bolding mine. What does this mean?

It means that any image that you don't have save for upload elsewhere and is larger than 1024*768 will not be recoverable in the original size this time next month.

If you back up your folders, remember you must back up subfolders independently.

As for alternate places to store your drawings, there are dropbox workarounds, and a few other options, but for the purposes of Shipbucket, Photobucket will be functionally unusable.

I would strongly recommend that all backups and such take place prior to March first, as I wouldn't put it past Photobucket to move the date of the change up.

Also, a special thanks to Voyager989 for bringing this to the attention of the staff.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Photobucket changes, and what this means to youPosted: February 5th, 2013, 2:47 pm
Very sad news indeed.

As someone who can remember the days of having MConrads upload our work to the old Shipbucket photobucket account, this pains me in a very strange and deep fashion.

I will try to post a list of good alternatives here ASAP.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Photobucket changes, and what this means to youPosted: February 5th, 2013, 3:01 pm
one thing that saddens me a bit is that I will not be able to look up the old forums.
for example lots of erik's work is there, and my own earlier.... most of the drawings there will be lost or at least resized.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Photobucket changes, and what this means to youPosted: February 5th, 2013, 4:51 pm
Colosseum wrote:
I will try to post a list of good alternatives here ASAP.
Would be awesome! I'm using old Photobucket and would rather not have to change to Dropbox, as neither my computer likes it (for some reason sometimes pictures don't appear) nor me personally (I tried to use it and wasn't to my liking).
acelanceloet wrote:
one thing that saddens me a bit is that I will not be able to look up the old forums.
for example lots of erik's work is there, and my own earlier.... most of the drawings there will be lost or at least resized.
There's one remedy I can think of - and am going to apply it (or at least try) - making an own copy of all the pics there - esp. of the "non-uploadable categories" (AU, Personal Designs, Non-Shipbucket). :/

[Profile] [Quote]
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Re: Photobucket changes, and what this means to youPosted: February 5th, 2013, 7:53 pm
Hello there.

OK, as mentioned before, I am an utter IT imbecile.

As I understand it, any pics I have already uploaded on photobucket will be irretrievabliy resized to 1024x768 on March 1st, but any Pics I upload subsequently will again be stored in their original size - or won't they?

So, since I keep copies of all my pics on my home PC (and on two USB sticks and just to be sure on my office PC as well), I just have to upload my entire collection again on March 2nd and everything will be well - or won't it?

Please inform me whether I understood things correctly or if I have to adapt to another picture host (which I would hate, given how long I needed to halfway understand Photobucket)...

Greetings
Garlicdesign

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: Photobucket changes, and what this means to youPosted: February 5th, 2013, 7:57 pm
Majhost is very simple to use, so you could try that one out just for a test.
http://www.majhost.com/

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Photobucket changes, and what this means to youPosted: February 5th, 2013, 8:01 pm
Anything you upload after March 2nd will be resized.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Photobucket changes, and what this means to youPosted: February 5th, 2013, 8:22 pm
Garlicdesign wrote:
Hello there.

As I understand it, any pics I have already uploaded on photobucket will be irretrievabliy resized to 1024x768 on March 1st, but any Pics I upload subsequently will again be stored in their original size - or won't they?

So, since I keep copies of all my pics on my home PC (and on two USB sticks and just to be sure on my office PC as well), I just have to upload my entire collection again on March 2nd and everything will be well - or won't it?

Please inform me whether I understood things correctly or if I have to adapt to another picture host (which I would hate, given how long I needed to halfway understand Photobucket)...

Greetings
Garlicdesign
The problem is that you won't be able to hotlink (or put in the IMG tags) the full size versions. That's what will make the service unusable for Shipbucket purposes.

[Profile] [Quote]
Voyager989
Post subject: Re: Photobucket changes, and what this means to youPosted: February 5th, 2013, 8:49 pm
The way it reads;

Images uploaded before the transition date: Forcibly re-sized to 1024 x 768 pixels if larger. Smaller images unaffected.

Images uploaded after the switch date: Can be up to 20 MB in file size and any size in pixels, but may not be shared or linked to in any size larger than 1024 x 768, with the larger originals only accessible by yourself.

[Profile] [Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: Photobucket changes, and what this means to youPosted: February 5th, 2013, 9:01 pm
Garlicdesign wrote:
Hello there.

Greetings
Garlicdesign
No, if I read it correctly, your old pictures will stay as they are, but beforehand, any files over 1mb you uploaded were resized automatically to 1 mb. This is what photobucket refers to as web-sized.

New uploads can be up to 20 mb in size, but... The link OUT, the one you put on display on another website (like shipbucket), that will be sized to 1024x768. For ALL pictures, also the ones you uploaded before.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 4  [ 39 posts ]  Return to β€œFD Scale Drawings” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: