Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 74 of 107  [ 1070 posts ]  Go to page « 172 73 74 75 76107 »
Hood
Post subject: Re: FD AU 3Posted: March 16th, 2017, 1:29 pm
A very interesting concept.
I'd be tempted to go the Ecko ASV.Mk.19 radar and perhaps add the option for Red Beard but I think what've you've got here is a pretty potent naval strike aircraft.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
llamaman2
Post subject: Re: FD AU 3Posted: March 18th, 2017, 12:47 pm
Thanks for the comments guys. I had been tempted to make the Cranberry a bit more potent, maybe add Rb 04 missiles in lieu of Green Cheese, but in the end I just decided to make it an interim design until the Buccaneer came along. It's part of a really big AU that I might eventually one day get finished. Maybe...

Currently working on:
The October War, 27-10-1962 (apparently forever);
"Saxonverse" alt-UK;
Federation of the Channel Islands AU;
Republic of Yopur & Andaman;
some sort of overarching AU;

Regaining my sanity.

[Profile] [Quote]
llamaman2
Post subject: Re: FD AU 3Posted: March 18th, 2017, 12:48 pm
Anyhoo. Anyone for Fulcrums? I remember a while back, when David Cameron kicked up a stink over Russian interference in Ukraine, Vladimir Putin offered to lease two dozen Su-24's to Argentina, just to screw with him. But what if Vlad went a bit further? And just in case it needs saying, this is basically a thought exercise and has sod-all to do with Eastern European or South American geopolitics.

[ img ]

Russia had a large number of surplus fighters in storage that Putin's advisers recommended he use as a way of sticking it to NATO and the EU. Argentina was in a poor financial situation but needed improved air defences since the retirement of their Mirage fleet and the grounding of the A-4AR force. MiG-29's would be far better suited to Argentina's needs than Fencers. Russia decided to transfer forty MiG-29A and -29UB fighters to Argentina for scrap value. The aircraft were then upgraded with Israeli avionics, including the Elta EL/M-2032 fire-control radar, and making provision for Israeli air-to-air weapons and AM.39 Exocets from naval stocks.

Currently working on:
"Saxonverse" alt-UK;

Regaining my sanity.

[Profile] [Quote]
rifleman2
Post subject: Re: FD AU 3Posted: March 18th, 2017, 2:09 pm
do like the thought of interm Canberra B(I) / Buccaneer hybrid

[Profile] [Quote]
Cascadia
Post subject: Re: FD AU 3Posted: March 18th, 2017, 8:25 pm
[ img ]
I don't think there are already any renderings out there, but this is how I imagine Germany's new C-130J might look like when entering service in 2021.
Allthough I think 'LUFTWAFFE' will not be so dominant :?

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: FD AU 3Posted: March 18th, 2017, 9:03 pm
Cascadia wrote: *
[ img ]
I don't think there are already any renderings out there, but this is how I imagine Germany's new C-130J might look like when entering service in 2021.
Allthough I think 'LUFTWAFFE' will not be so dominant :?
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
llamaman2
Post subject: Re: FD AU 3Posted: March 22nd, 2017, 4:48 pm
Next up, a few Portuguese musings. In early 1968, the Força Aérea Portuguesa concluded a study into its requirements for future operations, especially in light of the continuing operations in Portugal’s African possessions. 40 Fiat G.91R's were purchased from West Germany to supplement the Sabre and Thunderjet then in service, but the FAP identified that a new, more modern aircraft was needed. The study identified the need for a new fighter capable of reaching Mach 2 in horizontal flight and a rate of climb that allowed it to reach 40,000 ft in less than five minutes. The study also gave preference to twin-engine aircraft and specified the armament capacity and the capability to operate in hot environments, in addition to being capable of flying directly from mainland Portugal to Sal in Cape Verde.

Clearly this had been written around the Phantom, but relations with the USA were strained over the ongoing Colonial War in Africa. A UN arms embargo on Portugal was being observed by the USA, who were loathe to sell the Portuguese any equipment that could be used outside of NATO. Similarly, the UK’s Labour government was in the process of withdrawing from its own colonial possessions in Africa and viewed Portugal’s authoritarian government as little different from the fascist Franco regime in Spain. Sweden’s neutral stance put them at odds with Portuguese policy in Africa. In terms of western countries with their own supersonic fighter programmes, this left France, by now already the country’s biggest arms supplier. Despite being single-engined, the FAP requested that it be allowed to order 100 Mirage III fighter-bombers. These would comprise 85 single-seat IIIE aircraft and 15 IIID two-seat conversion trainers. Three squadrons would be retained in Portugal for local air defence (30 aircraft), with the rest deployed in Mozambique and Angola.

However, it was obvious that this number simply could not be met with the existing budgetary restraints on the Portuguese government. Dassault, ever keen for more sales, proposed a split buy. The company would sell Portugal 30 single-seat Mirage IIIC dedicated interceptors, five IIIB trainers, 50 Mirage 5 attack aircraft and ten twin-seat 5D models. This was acceptable, as all these aircraft were cheaper than the Mirage IIIE. Production of the first five of each type would come straight off the existing production lines, with the rest assembled at OGMA in Lisbon from knock-down kits.

Portuguese models were given the French export code PL. Aside from the different designations, the aircraft were no different to their French counterparts and carried a similar weapons fit. Two squadrons of IIICPL interceptors were based on the Portuguese mainland, with a third based in the Azores to intercept wandering Soviet maritime patrol aircraft. The fifteen two-seaters were pooled into a single OCU, with pilots streaming onto the III or 5 depending on their eventual posting. Initial training would be carried out in France, with pilots being sent from early 1969. The first Mirage IIICPL squadron, number 51, officially stood up at Monte Real on 20 September 1969 and carried out its first interception two days later. The aircraft were armed with internal DEFA-553 30mm cannon, a single R.530 medium-range missile and a pair of AIM-9B Sidewinders build under licence by Matra.

[ img ]

While the Mirage IIICPL took to protecting the skies of mainland Portugal and the Azores, the Mirage 5 was left to move mud. Government plans were for the production of fifty single-seaters and ten trainers, but in the event, ten of the Mirage 5’s were completed as dedicated reconnaissance machines with the nose of the French Mirage IIIR, due to Air Force insistence on having a decent reconnaissance asset.

Four squadrons of Mirage 5’s were to be deployed to Africa, with a fifth remaining in Portugal as a reserve ostensibly declared to NATO. An initial deployment to Mozambique in December 1969 proved the aircraft's capability, but revealed a problem with defending against the guerrilla's new weaponry. Delays occurred due to the arrival of Soviet-made SA-7 MANPADS missiles into rebel hands, which had necessitated fitting the aircraft with flare dispensers. Full equipment of the Mirage 5 squadrons was complete by late August 1973; ironically, they only flew a handful of ground attack missions by the time of the Carnation Revolution on 25 April 1974.

[ img ]

The Portuguese military overthrew the authoritarian Estado Novo government on 25 April 1974. The new military government ordered the withdrawal of all Portuguese military forces from Africa and granted independence to the former colonies. Two squadrons of Mirage 5’s flew back to be placed in immediate storage, being declared as surplus to requirements. The other two, plus one dedicated reconnaissance unit, were declared to NATO and planned to reinforce the southern flank in times of tension.

Currently working on:
"Saxonverse" alt-UK;

Regaining my sanity.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: FD AU 3Posted: March 23rd, 2017, 8:51 am
Nice colour schemes and a very plausible backstory.
It's good to see some of the smaller nations getting a look in on AUs.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
llamaman2
Post subject: Re: FD AU 3Posted: March 26th, 2017, 3:02 pm
Thanks, Hood. I've got a couple of smaller nations planned, but I'll get round to em eventually. First, the rest of the Portuguese things.

By the late 70s, the Força Aérea Portuguesa comprised nine combat squadrons: three Mirage IIICPL interceptor units; two Mirage 5PL fighter-bomber squadrons and four G.91R fighter-bomber squadrons. Two squadrons of Mirage 5's had been put in storage for cost reasons, with the G.91 being a lot cheaper to operate. They were all getting a bit long in the tooth, however. Although the Mirage III's were still sprightly performers their Cyrano II radar was beginning to give ground crews headaches. Similarly, the Mirage 5's basic AIDA ranging radar wasn't giving great performance in the maritime strike role. The solution, once again, came from Dassault.

In 1981, Dassault test-flew the last Mirage III variant, the Mirage 3NG. This took the standard IIIE/5 airframe, added wing leading edge root extensions and fixed canards to improve agility; transplanted in the radar and engine from the F1E; and as a final touch added a fly-by-wire sytem from the 2000. After discussion with the FAP, Dassault offered to buy back and refurbish Portugal's Mirage III force for resale, upgrade the remaining Mirage 5's (including those in storage) to 3NG standard and replace the G.91 force with the Super Eterdard.

[ img ]

The first Mirage 3NGPL entered squadron service in 1984, upgraded to carry the Matra R550 Magic II and Super 530F missiles in the air defence role. In all, 45 airframes were overhauled and upgraded, including nine recce-dedicated 3NGRPL and nine two-seat 3NGDPL. The two-seaters received radar for the first time, becoming combat-capable despite the lack of cannon. The recce models still lacked radar but received new IR imaging equipment and all the engine, aerodynamic and structural upgrades of its brethren. Nicknamed Spaghetti Alfabeto (or ‘alphabetti spaghetti’) by their crews, the upgraded Mirages continued in service for another fifteen years before replacement was considered.

As Portugal's main role in a war against the Warsaw Pact would be to defend the sea lanes between the Azores and mainland Europe, NATO had an interest in seeing Portuguese maritime patrol capabilities enhanced. In addition to arranging the upgrade of six ex-Australian P-3B airframes to C-standard as the P-3P, the US was also pressing Portugal to purchase the A-4 or A-7 attack planes. However, France had an alternate offer.

[ img ]

The SuE was ordered in October 1983, with deliveries commencing 12 months later. In addition to their Exocet-carrying maritime role, Super Etendard crews also maintained a land attack proficiency and regularly exercised with NATO forces in West Germany through the second half of the 1980s. With the easing of Cold War tensions throughout the 1990s the FAP intended to replace its combat aircraft with a single type. The Mirage 2000-9 was chosen, with the SuE being replaced by this type as well as the Mirage 3NG. The last Portuguese Super Etendard was retired in, rather fittingly, 2009.

Currently working on:
"Saxonverse" alt-UK;

Regaining my sanity.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: FD AU 3Posted: March 26th, 2017, 3:46 pm
Interesting. How many SuE did Portugal ordered in that scenario?

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 74 of 107  [ 1070 posts ]  Return to “FD Scale Drawings” | Go to page « 172 73 74 75 76107 »

Jump to: