http://www.avxaircraft.com/media-gallery/

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: FD AU 3Posted: July 10th, 2014, 6:56 am
[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

Olympic Airlines (AU) in 1962 had already in service Bristol Britannia and De Havilland Comet 4, which covered all Middle East and Europe routes. The Comet 4C (which AU Olympic Airlines also had) covered also some longer routes to Asia and North America, but this required refueling stops, increasing cost. So, it was obvious that an long haul aircraft with greater capacity was needed. The choice was the Vickers VC.10 Super, both in short and long variants, entered full service from May 1966, making OA the "five continents airline" as its owner Aristotle Onassis dreamed. The elegant VC.10 was the aircraft Olympic Airlines (AU) built on its fame for a luxury airline with great on board service, being second priority after safety. From mid 1980's all VC.10 Super passed gragually to Royal Hellenic Air Force, serving until July 2016.

The 50th Anniversary of Vickers VC.10 in Hellenic service was celebrated by sending one in RIAT 2016 (AU) and a formation of six VC.10 made a low pass over 25 March 2016 Athens Military Parade. Finally from May to July one airframe traveled around the world to visit many of its destinations when in commercial service. In their 50 years service with Hellenic Air Force (AU) the VC.10 supported Hellenic Polar Program, international humanitarian missions (UN or Hellas own) and also served in war zones (Somalia, Afganistan). Several official and unofficial records are created to VC.10s carrying "SX" registration.

Three variants of VC.10 were in service with Olympic Airlines: Six VC.10 Super, four Super VC.10 Convertible and four VC.10 Super-200. All OA VC.10 could be fitted with wingtip fuel tanks and were powered by the RR Conway RCo.42/7 with 24,000 lbf thrust, as offered also in Middle East buyers ("very hot" version), being the fastest of their type. Additional 4 VC.10 were ordered for Royal Hellenic Air Force in 1966 for use as tankers and freighters with two refueling points and side door, entering service from 1969. In Hellenic Air Force service the ex-OA airframes were fitted with three point hose & droge system and refuel probe to refuel itshelf, while the civilian registration retained.

Something interesting is that the sings to airports in Hellenic Kingdom (both road and in metro) showed the silhouette of a VC.10 in top view for many years. Today several still remain, due to historical reasons. Among them all metro signs.

On the design, the aircraft misses registration (I am not sure yet) and also I am not sure for the right blue in old colors and this flag, which should be waving. I borrowed letters and tail circles from Eswube's ATR-42 OA, but the "M" and "Y" not seem very correct.

Last edited by odysseus1980 on August 23rd, 2016, 5:19 am, edited 15 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: FD AU 3Posted: July 10th, 2014, 8:09 am
Nice work! :)
Re: letters in OLYMPIC - sorry, I did the best I could. :P

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: FD AU 3Posted: July 10th, 2014, 8:42 am
VC.10 Olympic Airlines edited with some refinements.

[Profile] [Quote]
adenandy
Post subject: Re: FD AU 3Posted: July 10th, 2014, 10:47 am
Really nice looking aircraft guys. Well Done :)

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: FD AU 3Posted: July 11th, 2014, 5:57 am
eswube wrote:
Nice work! :)
Re: letters in OLYMPIC - sorry, I did the best I could. :P
In ATR-42 letters were hidden behind the landing gear compartment and I had to complete them, the mistake was mine, not yours, your job on OLYMPIC was very good. After some refinement I think they are quite correct.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: FD AU 3Posted: July 11th, 2014, 8:08 am
In real world, Olympic Airlines shown interest in Concorde and one airframe landed in Athens Airport in January 1973 for demonstration. So, a What-If Concorde in OA color is presented here, with a different blue (took from a drawing of a Comet 4B found in the net). If this blue seem better, I will change it also in my VC.10's above.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: FD AU 3Posted: July 11th, 2014, 3:41 pm
Very nice work, must say the Olympic colours look good on the Concorde

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
nighthunter
Post subject: Re: FD AU 3Posted: July 11th, 2014, 5:59 pm
Inspired by WhatifModelers.com again :P

[ img ]

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: FD AU 3Posted: July 11th, 2014, 7:06 pm
glad they inspire you, but what exactly is it you modified/designed? new paintjob, or so? not criticizing or something, just curious :P

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 7 of 107  [ 1070 posts ]  Return to “FD Scale Drawings” | Go to page « 15 6 7 8 9107 »

Jump to: