The Detroit Arsenal Tank Plant M52 was one of the first self-propelled howitzer to enter service with the post-war Imperial German Army. Under the designation PzH 3 the M52 served with Army between 1952 and 1966 when they and the M7, M55, and M44, were replaced the newer M109. Unlike the Pzh 1 (M7), and the PzH 2 (M55), the PzH3 alongside the PzH 4 (M44) continued to serve with the National Guard, the German army reserve, which took over its first units in 1964. As the ministry of defence had no intention to buy additional M109 for the reserve forces in the 1970s, at least the PzH 3 had to be modernized with a new turret, new fire control systems, and Rheinmetall 155mm gun (this modernization would aslo be addepted by the Turkish Army during the 1990s.
After all, this modernization acctually ended up being more expensive than the additional M109s.
The howitzer shown here belongs to the fire support battalion of Military Area Command III, based at Bergische Kaserne in Düsseldorf, and will be replaced with the PzH 5 Paladin within the next years.
TPz 5 Alligator
Between 1977 and 1982 the Imperial German Navy replaced their older TPz 2 amphibious transport tanks with the newer TPz 5.
Built by the Food Machinery Company 76 of these vehicles are currently in service with the two amphibious transport companies affiliated with the two naval infantry brigades. 72 of these vehicles are standard APCs with additional two ARVs and two CCVs.
As shown here, the Navy has already started to equip some of its APCs with additional armour packages.
(That additional armour was a real pain in the a**)