Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ] 
iiradned
Post subject: Video from the wrecks of the Akagi, Kaga, and Yorktown.Posted: September 16th, 2023, 5:19 pm
The YouTube channel of EVNautilus has posted video of their expedition to survey the wrecks of three aircraft carriers sunk during the Battle of Midway.

From the description of the above posted video:
Quote:
Sep 15, 2023
From September 8-12, 2023, an interdisciplinary, interagency, and international team led by Ocean Exploration Trust aboard Exploration Vessel Nautilus had the honor and privilege to conduct in-depth archaeological assessments of three World War II aircraft carriers lost during the Battle of Midway. Our exploration resulted in the first visual survey of Imperial Japanese Navy (IJN) Akagi 赤城, the first detailed views of United States Ship Yorktown since it was first located 25 years ago, and a comprehensive survey of IJN Kaga 加賀. These historically significant wrecks were explored in their final resting places within Papahānaumokuākea Marine National Monument, the largest protected area in the U.S. and one of the largest in the world.

Archaeologists from Japan, the U.S., and over 100 experts around the world were connected to ship operations via telepresence technology, helping guide the mission and providing valuable real-time interpretations throughout the surveys. Each dive was launched and closed with protocol ceremonies to honor this place and all who lost their lives in ways that reflected their significance to Kānaka ʻOiwi (Native Hawaiian), Japanese, and U.S. military families and communities.

These historic, noninvasive, visual survey dives were conducted during the E/V Nautilus Ala ʻAumoana Kai Uli expedition, a 27-day NOAA-funded mission to explore never-before-seen deep-water habitats to collect baseline data needed to support management in the most remote and northwestern section of PMNM. The surveys of the ship’s final resting places were aimed at documenting these historically significant wrecks, examining their condition, and honoring all those who lost their lives on both sides of the battle.

The Battle of Midway surveys were made possible by the expertise, support, and collaboration of many partners including Ocean Exploration Trust, NOAA Ocean Exploration, NOAA Office of National Marine Sanctuaries, SEARCH, Inc., U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command, International Midway Memorial Foundation, Papahānaumokuākea Marine National Monument, Office of Hawaiian Affairs, the State of Hawaiʻi, U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, University of Maryland, University of Rhode Island, University of Hawaiʻi, Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency, Air/Sea Heritage Foundation, and Japanese archaeological colleagues from Teikyo University, Tokai University, and Tokyo University of Marine Science and Technology.

Learn more about this expedition funded by NOAA Ocean Exploration via the Ocean Exploration Cooperative Institute: https://nautiluslive.org/cruise/na154

E/V Nautilus is exploring unknown regions of the ocean seeking out new discoveries in biology, geology, and archaeology. Join us 24/7 for live video from the seafloor and to ask questions of our explorers currently aboard Nautilus: https://www.nautiluslive.org.

Follow us on social media for dive updates, expedition highlights, and more:
Subscribe on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/subscription_...
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nautiluslive
Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/evnautilus
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/nautiluslive
TikTok: @NautilusLive

[Profile] [Quote]
iiradned
Post subject: Re: Video from the wrecks of the Akagi, Kaga, and Yorktown.Posted: September 20th, 2023, 7:20 am
They have posted individual videos for the wrecks of Akagi, Yorktown, and Kaga.

[Profile] [Quote]
iiradned
Post subject: Re: Video from the wrecks of the Akagi, Kaga, and Yorktown.Posted: October 14th, 2023, 6:00 pm
Drachinifel and Jon Parshall going over video from the wreck of Akagi.

Next week they are going to look over the wreckage of Kaga and the week after that Yorktown.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rob2012
Post subject: Re: Video from the wrecks of the Akagi, Kaga, and Yorktown.Posted: October 15th, 2023, 2:12 am
I'm surprised they never found the Soryu or Hiryu. I mean, the Soryu was lost right around the same area as the Akagi and Kaga. While the Hiryu did move away from the other three after they were hit.

Last edited by Rob2012 on October 29th, 2023, 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
iiradned
Post subject: Re: Video from the wrecks of the Akagi, Kaga, and Yorktown.Posted: October 28th, 2023, 4:54 pm
Video from the wrecks of Kaga and Yorktown are up on Drachinifel's YouTube.

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Video from the wrecks of the Akagi, Kaga, and Yorktown.Posted: December 17th, 2023, 6:24 am
Rob2012 wrote: *
I'm surprised they never found the Soryu or Hiryu. I mean, the Soryu was lost right around the same area as the Akagi and Kaga. While the Hiryu did move away from the other three after they were hit.
What about Hammann? She was right near Yorktown when she was sunk. I'm stunned this survey didn't happen upon at least part of her.

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Video from the wrecks of the Akagi, Kaga, and Yorktown.Posted: December 17th, 2023, 10:38 am
emperor_andreas wrote: *
Rob2012 wrote: *
What about Hammann? She was right near Yorktown when she was sunk. I'm stunned this survey didn't happen upon at least part of her.
only thing I can say, is that the ocean is wast!

I did one survey in Norway once for a sunken ship, it was trough an competition the military had (how could get closed), I managed to find area location where the ship was in that time, but what I had to check was:
- the speed the ship was traveling at and take into account that the ship would have been stopping at the time of sinking, or had stopped.
- direction it was moving
- wind direction.
- wave direction.
- the direction water moved under water.
- how the shape of the ship affect it's sinking and direcion

What we found out was that from where the ship was reporting sinking, to where it was lying to rest. Had a big discrepancy. And this for a ship from the 70's, I would never imagen a ship from the 40's with that time position accuracy reporting.

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Video from the wrecks of the Akagi, Kaga, and Yorktown.Posted: December 18th, 2023, 7:58 am
Vast indeed...look at the case of USS Indianapolis. If they hadn't happened upon that log from the LST, which gave an entirely new possible last position, then they might never have found her.

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]  Return to “Off Topic”

Jump to: