Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 4  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »

do you think sharks are evil?
2. No  89%  [ 25 ]
3. I don't know  11%  [ 3 ]
Total votes: 28
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: sharksPosted: August 23rd, 2010, 3:37 pm
I'd shoot a wolf, bear, or any other dangerous animal if it was coming at me in a threatening manner, but I wouldn't go actively seek one out to shoot.

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: sharksPosted: August 23rd, 2010, 5:01 pm
Me too...
Thougth most likely I would meet one armed with only a bill axe, so Its going to be an epic figth :mrgreen:

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: sharksPosted: August 23rd, 2010, 6:02 pm
When I was in Canada our 'truck' was rammed by an irate Bull Elk,after I took a flash photo of him and his harem at sunset - and boy, can those animals move fast. And of course, with our Canadian friends, walking in the bush, I always made sure there was someone in front of me, behind me, and on either side of me - even if it was L.P. I saw lots of Bear skat, and we once met an insane Moose (but aren't they all?), and we had large bears raiding our rubbish bins in Prince George; so on balance, I'd take my chances with Australian wildlife: sharks, crocs, snakes, spiders etc.

I just found this in the archives: I was sitting in the front passenger seat and if it had been a sedan I would have been toast;

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: sharksPosted: August 23rd, 2010, 6:28 pm
IMO the best way is to sort of mutual respect. I don't go too deep to the woods to mess around with the bears without accepting the change to be eaten, so shall bear stay in the woods and not to venture into city streets (as it has been habbit here in time to time) wihtout accepting the change to get shot

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: sharksPosted: August 23rd, 2010, 6:43 pm
people sould indeed look for the danger, if you like Golli said went to far, you won't see them, so people are just looking for the wildlife... so that is why bears killed often, btw, if they need foot, they will take what they can get, that seems pretty normal for me

[Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: sharksPosted: August 24th, 2010, 7:42 am
I think I've still got my Bear bells, which I was supposed to wear on me to warn of my approach...umm...somehow I just didn't think they would be of much use...ho ho

[Profile] [Quote]
BrockPaine
Post subject: Re: sharksPosted: August 24th, 2010, 6:44 pm
The poll says "Do you think sharks are evil" and gives the options of "No" and "I don't know". What a silly poll - what if I wanted to vote "Yes" or "Neither" or "Pie"?!
Quote:
this makes me want to hate being an human lol.
Okay, you want to hate being a human because we occasionally whack off bits of sharks? Splendid. Have you helped any children in poverty this month? Have you worked to raise awareness for ending Islamic slavery in the Sudan? Have you signed petitions supporting the end of political suppression in Communist China?

There's a lot worse things humans do to each other. Let's at least be ashamed about what we ought to be ashamed about.

[Profile] [Quote]
didibii
Post subject: Re: sharksPosted: August 29th, 2010, 5:13 am
Colosseum wrote:
I'd shoot a wolf, bear, or any other dangerous animal if it was coming at me in a threatening manner, but I wouldn't go actively seek one out to shoot.
I would too if an animal is threatening my life... (this is somthing we agree on lol)

2.Mary celeste (All most done 40% completed)
4.German CV europa (dont know if i should do it)

[ img ]
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
nighthunter
Post subject: Re: sharksPosted: October 27th, 2010, 6:22 pm
Okay, I have to throw my $0.02 in!

As someone who is an admitted Armchair Shark Expert, and trust me I wish I had field experience, sharks are one of the top predators of the sea. Orca's (killer whales) eat sharks, therefor making them top. Anyway, my point is that sharks don't have poor eyesight, just not good when it comes to surface prey. Yes, surfers, boogie boarders and people who swim poorly appear to be prey to the sharks. The outline of surfers and boogie boarders tend to most resemble the favorite foods, seals and sea turtles, of the "man eaters", the tiger shark and great white shark. Swimming poorly or thrashing and splashing about attracts them for other reasons, injured fish do the same thing, and in murky waters that doesn't help. When it comes to the ocean, we are not the top dogs there, we were not meant for it. It is the sharks home. In Brazil there were an increase in shark attacks due to a port being built in a shark nursery and not far enough away from beaches and the ships would travel near those same beaches dumping trash, which I might add sharks will eat, and with the nursery gone sharks would go towards the beaches in search of more food, and boom, humans thrashing about and having fun makes for a bad day for humans with a hungry shark in the area. Sharks also have no hands and bite people to see if we are eatable or just to figure out what we are. Yes, blood in the water once a investigative bite occurs can sometimes lead to an all out attack, but sometimes the shark leaves after that first bite. Bull Sharks are just aggressive animals, like Kodiak bears, rhinos and crocs. Leave them alone and stay the heck out of the water where they tend to reside, just for safety's sake. If anyone has seen that Shark week special where the Bull Shark Expert was attacked, not doing anything, note that no one else in the crew was attacked when getting him out of the water, and that area was filled with them. Sometimes I think that the bull shark is around to remind us that we should never underestimate anything with "big nasty sharp pointy teeth"-John Cleese. And I believe that some attacks occur to people who are just plain stupid, and therefor have earned a good mauling or even death, such as surfing near large populations of seals, going into water on a period, etc. There is a guy that goes urchin diving out at the Farallon Islands, an area that is known for its LARGE Great Whites. He has been diving there since the late 70's and never been bitten, attacked yes, but he landed on top of that shark when jumping into the water. So there is proof right there that sharks don't actively hunt us.

Now for the political side, UGH! I agree with didibii that shark fin fishermen are wasteful, not using the whole shark. We here in the states eat Mako, (My all time favorite shark). Now as it is my favorite shark, at first I was deeply offended, but after growing up and doing the research, I realized that if the whole animal is used, then there is no waste. Up here, in the Pacific Northwest, we also catch and eat (I think) Salmon sharks, which seriously look like smaller versions of the Great White (google them, I'm not joking!). But what those countries are allowing is wrong in my opinion. Here is another problem, Americans have that almighty holier than tho ego of enforce what we want you to or else! Granted that the fin industry like any other is propelled by Money and money alone. If you want to act out against fin fishing, show friends and have them show friends of the videos that you didn't want to show us because they were too bloody. Boycott the industry and make them hurt in the checkbook! Petition the UN to create rules for fin fishing at least, Pay Taxes to your government so they have the money to enforce those rules!

Okay, I'm done!

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: Re: sharksPosted: November 3rd, 2010, 7:34 am
They are useful, they do their job at sea. I hope I'll never meet one except, when there are two inch of glass between us. Or on the screen. From some TV docu I know they only take a bite to taste us and then let go. For the bitten ones this is surely a great help...sorry guys, bad luck.
Don't deal with sharks. Don't deal with bears, wolves, tigers etc. They are all bigger and faster than we are. So we shouldn't go where the predators live and they shouldn't go where we live. If someone doesn't respect that he'll get bitten or on the other side shot down.
The predators do a very important job for natures health. They hunt down the sick and ill creatures first. Then those who are somehow invalid or simply old. However, the very very last creature on a predators diet is a human being.
Let them do their job, get amazed by their grace, leave 'em alone. You only have to frighten when you kick their asses.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 4  [ 32 posts ]  Return to “Off Topic” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: