Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 4  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »
Post subject: Re: Anniversary of 200 years of independence of ChilePosted: September 27th, 2010, 10:09 am
TimothyC wrote:
It's Obama, who's administration gave the British PM dvds that were from the White House Gift Shop - and thus were region 1 DVDs.
10 Downing Street doesn't have a region-free DVD player? :o

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Anniversary of 200 years of independence of ChilePosted: September 27th, 2010, 1:50 pm
TimothyC wrote:
It's Obama, who's administration gave the British PM dvds that were from the White House Gift Shop - and thus were region 1 DVDs.
10 Downing Street doesn't have a region-free DVD player? :o
Prime Minister Brown gave President Obama a pen holder made from timbers from HMS Gannet, framed commissioning papers of Gannet's sister ship HMS Resolute, A first edition of the Churchill Biography by Sr. Gilbert, an some very nice clothes and books for the President's daughters.

President Obama got Brown, a set of DVDs, and two toy helicopters from the White House gift shop. I hope they remembered to pull the pricing sticker off.

When I learned of what had happened I was ashamed.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Anniversary of 200 years of independence of ChilePosted: September 27th, 2010, 5:59 pm
Yeah, I was pretty disgusted myself. Not exactly a way to treat our closest ally...

[Profile] [Quote]
Finfan
Post subject: Re: Anniversary of 200 years of independence of ChilePosted: September 27th, 2010, 10:35 pm
TimothyC wrote:
BrockPaine wrote:
...and all the US deigned to send was an OHP-class? One of the longest-standing free democracies in our hemisphere has its bicentennial, and a lone Perry is charged with extending our respect? :?
  1. It's what the OHPs are for.
  2. It's Obama, who's administration gave the British PM dvds that were from the White House Gift Shop - and thus were region 1 DVDs.
So Obama is entirely justified due to point 1 ?

[Profile] [Quote]
Post subject: Re: Anniversary of 200 years of independence of ChilePosted: September 28th, 2010, 6:17 am
TimothyC wrote:
Prime Minister Brown gave President Obama a pen holder made from timbers from HMS Gannet, framed commissioning papers of Gannet's sister ship HMS Resolute, A first edition of the Churchill Biography by Sr. Gilbert, an some very nice clothes and books for the President's daughters.
President Obama got Brown, a set of DVDs, and two toy helicopters from the White House gift shop. I hope they remembered to pull the pricing sticker off.
Wow, that is pretty lame. I never heard about that. I guess there must have been some mixup in communications somewhere, and somebody who was supposed to have organised a proper gift didn't do so - so Obama was left hanging and had to use whatever his staff could get their hands on at the last minute.
Some of those high-paid advisors should have come up with something a little more suitable though.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Anniversary of 200 years of independence of ChilePosted: September 28th, 2010, 7:57 am
With the way our media fawns over Obama, I'd be surprised if they would let his advisors off the hook and put the blame on Obama like they did without really good reason.

From what I've gathered it was his idea.

[Profile] [Quote]
TurretHead
Post subject: Re: Anniversary of 200 years of independence of ChilePosted: September 28th, 2010, 8:03 am
BrockPaine wrote:
and all the US deigned to send was an OHP-class? One of the longest-standing free democracies in our hemisphere has its bicentennial, and a lone Perry is charged with extending our respect? :?
Sorry mate but 1973-90 means Chile's age of democracy is reset to only 20 years old. Its not a tap you can switch on and off.

And it probably would have been poor form for the US to send a ship bigger than those in Chile service to their parade. You don't want to show off the host unless you've got bad taste.

Thanks a lot Gunship for this pictures. I would love to see something like this off the beaches here in Australia.

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Anniversary of 200 years of independence of ChilePosted: September 28th, 2010, 9:56 am
A true story. Some years ago a U.S. newspaper canvassed foreign ambassadors for what they would like for Christmas. The French one said world peace would be his best gift, the Indian one said an end to global poverty, the Brazilian one said better resource managemnet of the environment..and so on. Unfortunately, nobody had briefed the U.K. ambassador, so when he was asked what he'd like for Christmas he said: " a nice pair of new slippers".

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Anniversary of 200 years of independence of ChilePosted: September 28th, 2010, 6:09 pm
The best part? The British guy is probably the only one who's going to get his wish.

[Profile] [Quote]
Demon Lord Razgriz
Post subject: Re: Anniversary of 200 years of independence of ChilePosted: September 29th, 2010, 12:22 am
Indeed, I'd even say I like his wish more as it's realistic and not some fanciful BS like World Peace. We'll get that when we're all dead.

Atlas V
Delta II/III
Project Constellation
Soyuz series

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 4  [ 33 posts ]  Return to โ€œOff Topicโ€ | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: