Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 27 of 45  [ 442 posts ]  Go to page « 125 26 27 28 2945 »
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Some questions about Ships and WeaponsPosted: October 8th, 2014, 7:15 pm
This hull is an very old design and of course can be improved.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Some questions about Ships and WeaponsPosted: October 15th, 2014, 2:40 pm
Finally, I have a WIP form of my bomber, the R-55:

The finished aircraft fall in the category of the British Valiant, history as told some pages back.

-Camo is not yet ready, I am thinking of using the real WW1/Minor Asia Campain colors in a NATO type schem, because these fit better with Hellas landscape colors than "Vietnam".
-Some details of the design came from SB-scale Valiant and EF-150 (Thanks a lot to both artists)
-The inner auxiliary wheels are insired from real Junkers EF-132, also with a bicycle main landing gear like B-47 and 3M Molot, but this long inner gear retracts inwards-not sure of how to represent it.
-It is obvious that the R-55 has a very large bombay. This was designed with the early stand off missiles of Artemis family (ASM-22) in mind, but finally only the surface launched variant built.
-The aircraft stands at a smaller angle than that of 3M Molot, but for take off she used much the same system of kneeling back and raise front.
-Wings have approximately 40 degrees of swept

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Some questions about Ships and WeaponsPosted: October 15th, 2014, 5:55 pm
Valiant meets P6M and M-4. I like it! :)
Maybe except of the tip of the vertical stabilizer - but that's just esthetic.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Some questions about Ships and WeaponsPosted: October 16th, 2014, 5:53 am
Yes, indded the R-55 had something from M-4, but it is a Western aircraft built around a large number of British parts, as also the other famous SHAF aircraft of the era, the R-57. First 2 prototypes of R-55 flied were powered by four Aerodyne J110's, but it was underpowered and all production airframes used the Armstrong Siddeley Sapphire 7LR instead. Approximately 270 engines built by lisence as J610-AS-120 (AS for Armstrong Siddeley). Gradually, all parts of the aircraft built in HLK (both for R-55 and R-57) and experience gained led to the AC-100, which is 100% built in HLK.

Note that the first airframe built with the ASSa.7LR engines also entered service and modified to test all variants of R-55 before finally retired in 1995. It is one of four airframes still remain intact. One of these is being restored to return to the skies and display it to RIAT Air Show.

All variants of R-55 (English and Hellenic names included)-Camo is the next step

[ img ]

In fourth picture the size of Artemis missile is impressive. But it was smaller than Soviet KS-1 Comet. This variant tested with a modified for thrust Turbomeca Artouste and radar from Adis I (latter was still experimental) in 1964 and 1965. It is not clear if the R-55 was loaded with 3 of these missiles ever, but for sure the air-launched Artemis was cancelled in 1966.

The pylon designed for Artemis used finally in the R-55K, which featured a British Mk17 system (originally built under lisence for Buccanner) and some strengthening in wings-originally designed for the Artemis carrier. Approximately 36-38 airframes modified to -K spec, entering service in from 1969 with the 372 and 373 Air Refuelling Squadrons, with last units entered service in 1974. Today only the 372 is still active, flying VC.10K.

Last edited by odysseus1980 on October 30th, 2014, 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Some questions about Ships and WeaponsPosted: October 29th, 2014, 8:14 am
Since my AU envolved in Antartic research programs, I thought having a research vessel with some icebreaking capabilities. At the beginning something second hand could be used, like a rebuilt Wind Class IB (I found an old SB design of these from the old archive, http://z11.invisionfree.com/shipbucket/ar/t1210.htm) and then built a new one or again buy second hand. The last Wing Class IB built entered service with Canadian Coast Guard in 1954 as CCGS Labrador and broke up in 1988, so perhaps fits in this scenario to give it a second life for 10-15 years. Polar research program of HLK started from Arctic in 1980 in cooperation with UK, Norway and Sweden, while the Hellenic Center for Polar Research established in 1978, under Hellenic Science Academy. An research station built in Spitsbergen in 1990, being the first polar base of HLK, were indigenous equipment and vessels tested in extreme cold weather, as also people, since this station is occupied year round. When HLK signed the Antarctic Treaty funding to HCPR increased with state resources as well.

Before the Antarctic base the ship can use Argentinian or South African ports for resupply, while the closest part of Antarctica to Hellenic Kingdom is the Norwegian Part below South Africa. In my timeline I settle the base down there around 2018. An entirely green base with reduced carbon footprint as much as possible. Arctic Station is already green after evolution for years with indigenous equipment.

Also, since my shipyards managed to built an ice-strenghened ship (the RY Nereid), they can do it again buinding a new research ship from nordic designs-not nessecary new (British Antarctic Survey did use a Danish built ice-strenghened merchant, the old HMS Endurance-1967).

http://www.shipbucket.com/images.php?di ... 20Nova.png Does anyone has information?

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Some questions about Ships and WeaponsPosted: October 31st, 2014, 7:06 pm
Nice work on R-55 variants.

If You're searching info on planned HMS Terra Nova, then here's some:
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/i ... +nova.html
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php?topic=32006.0

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Some questions about Ships and WeaponsPosted: November 11th, 2014, 1:41 pm
Since this thread says about weapons, I have a question about ammunitions:

How is the 9X23mm compared with the 0.45 ACP ? After a quick search gound that the 9X23 is very close to .357 Magnum. Thought having a 9X23mm submachine gun (Aris/EPK25) instead of 9X19. My AU could use the 9X23 Steyr round.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Some questions about Ships and WeaponsPosted: November 11th, 2014, 9:05 pm
What time frame? All things considered I'd personally go for 7.63mm x25 Mauser and / or 9mm x25 Mauser.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Some questions about Ships and WeaponsPosted: November 11th, 2014, 9:37 pm
Starting in midwar period and post war if succesfull.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Some questions about Ships and WeaponsPosted: November 11th, 2014, 9:51 pm
Well. Considering the vast amounts of 9mm x19 that would be being produced among the warring parties it would probably make more sense to stick with it unless you have a good stockpile of it and can keep making it at a prodigious rate.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 27 of 45  [ 442 posts ]  Return to “Off Topic” | Go to page « 125 26 27 28 2945 »

Jump to: