Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 12 of 17  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page « 110 11 12 13 1417 »
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Shipbucket Ranting threadPosted: May 1st, 2014, 5:08 pm
LBraden wrote:
Only rant I have is that I keep thinking "lets go and do this ship" ... and a quick search shows it's already been done, so I am spending ages trying to find ships that are NOT done, the problem is, most of the ships I like / know are already done, and the ones that I can find very little info of (normally one really really really bad drawing) would take too long for me to get right, and it's the feeling that I would be spending too long trying to get it looking acceptable that I feel I would just be yelled at by those here who want to nitpick on everything rather than get a "good work".
the reason for they are already drawn, are due to that it's so easy to get reference for them.

It's when you have to start working from pictures, when you get to do the real hard work. I have done that several time since Norwegian Navy don't like to public post drawings of their ship, even when the ship is over 40 years old.

the other trait you will get over time, trying to find sources, is that you will learn to know where to look for pictures, and how to search. sometimes you can find an blueprint of an WW1 submarine on Facebook!

To other, Colombamike is Colombamike. He is good at getting hold of pictures and drawings. but he will always we an very direct person, but that is due to where he is from. The funny thing is that we can hate what he is saying a lot.... but he is very often correct.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Shipbucket Ranting threadPosted: May 1st, 2014, 9:18 pm
Will try to respond to some of the points raised in this thread recently...
emperor_andreas wrote:
Rant on.

I'm getting tired of people posting great (sometimes incredible; see Colo's North Carolina thread for evidence of this degree of artistry) drawings and then Colombamike is one of the very first to come in and literally nitpick them apart. Other times he's done nothing but ask for more drawings. While there is absolutely no question he does contribute a great amount of reference material and drawing resources to this forum (for which the majority of us - myself included - I'm sure are quite thankful), to my knowledge he's never produced a single drawing of his own, kitbash or otherwise. (If I'm wrong on this, I stand corrected.) When he starts producing drawings himself, then I'll allow him to criticize my drawings / kitbashes and the AU I'm currently working on.

*Deep cleansing breath* Ok, rant over.
The jury is still out on Mr. Colombamike. I know there's a language barrier at play, but I do agree that many times he comes off as needlessly antagonistic and rude. For the record, though, Colombamike has not nitpicked any of my recent threads - mainly because I generally do the appropriate amount of research to get it right. ;)
Quote:
Only rant I have is that I keep thinking "lets go and do this ship" ... and a quick search shows it's already been done, so I am spending ages trying to find ships that are NOT done, the problem is, most of the ships I like / know are already done, and the ones that I can find very little info of (normally one really really really bad drawing) would take too long for me to get right, and it's the feeling that I would be spending too long trying to get it looking acceptable that I feel I would just be yelled at by those here who want to nitpick on everything rather than get a "good work".
If you want to draw a certain ship, just go ahead and draw it - it doesn't necessarily matter if it's already been drawn. I would suggest that you try to draw something new, but understand it's difficult to get up-to-the-minute information on what has and has not been drawn already...

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Shipbucket Ranting threadPosted: June 16th, 2014, 10:40 pm
Why is it that it takes over 12 hours for the activation email to come back, is it automatic or admin sent?

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Shipbucket Ranting threadPosted: June 16th, 2014, 10:51 pm
We certainly don't approve activation emails. They should be sent instantly... are you not getting it back immediately? What are you trying to do?

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Shipbucket Ranting threadPosted: June 16th, 2014, 10:53 pm
Oh, my partner was trying to set up an account so I'll have a look into it

Edit: seems it doesn't like hotmail, gmail works just fine

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

Last edited by Rodondo on June 16th, 2014, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Shipbucket Ranting threadPosted: June 16th, 2014, 10:59 pm
last time i had to recover my password it took a day!

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Shipbucket Ranting threadPosted: June 17th, 2014, 12:33 am
Colosseum wrote:
We certainly don't approve activation emails. They should be sent instantly... are you not getting it back immediately? What are you trying to do?
Here is what is happening (I've seen this before):

When phpBB sends out activation emails it spoofs the "From" line in the header. Certain providers¹ will check to make sure that emails that are listed as being from one of their domains actually originated from them (for example anyone that is on hotmail won't get any emails from the board as they are set to originate from "babajeliro@hotmail.com"). The solution (because this really is a server side issue) is to have Colo or Golly change the email that gets faked.

1. Yahoo & Hotmail don't deliver the messages, while Google will flag it as spam, and say that the email may not have originated with the person listed in the from line.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Shipbucket Ranting threadPosted: June 28th, 2014, 4:48 pm
Damn, using my mobile and keep hitting the log out button. And every time I have to write in the entire log in info, and tell it to automatically log me in...

quit funny this!

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Shipbucket Ranting threadPosted: July 13th, 2014, 8:18 am
congrats to those I have forgot!

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Shipbucket Ranting threadPosted: July 30th, 2014, 6:43 pm
Not so much a rant as a inquiry, last year we had four upload sessions, each spaced 3-4 months apart through the year, this year, nada. I'm just thinking if we don't have one too soon, we'll have over 10 months of drawings to submit. So in short, is there an upload session planned?

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 12 of 17  [ 163 posts ]  Return to “Off Topic” | Go to page « 110 11 12 13 1417 »

Jump to: