Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ] 
RP1
Post subject: Ship Design Concept (Black Swan)Posted: May 8th, 2012, 10:51 pm
Hi all,

1) Post here for comment, as I was able to ascertain to-day that the design side has some substance to it (sometimes these can just be pretty pictures. That is not the case here).

http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/E9B47A24 ... NALWEB.pdf (854KB)

2) Dibs! I'm adding this to my worklist. Oh, if only I'd had these requirements when doing the OPV design. Some of the changes (lower speed, smaller crew) would have made things a lot easier.

RP1

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Ship Design Concept (Black Swan)Posted: May 9th, 2012, 3:31 am
I am not sold on the manning and habitability.

[Profile] [Quote]
Chris Roach
Post subject: Re: Ship Design Concept (Black Swan)Posted: May 9th, 2012, 3:45 am
Sounds awfully like the "Son of a River class" idea that bounced round Warships1 back in 2007... right down to calling the damn thing a Sloop!
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Ship Design Concept (Black Swan)Posted: May 9th, 2012, 8:02 am
Are they seriously considering Beluga sails? Despite the fact that they're a complete failure?

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
RP1
Post subject: Re: Ship Design Concept (Black Swan)Posted: May 9th, 2012, 1:50 pm
@TimothyC, that was my reaction. The OPVs I designed had more conventional arrangements. Takes up a lot of space, though and I can understand the interest in reducing it.

@Chris Roach, yeah, noticed that. I wasn't involved in this but I have a sneaking suspicion that that was not co-incidental...

@Thiel, do you have a reference for that? Some work I'm involved with has them being "not quite as good as claimed", but by no means a failure.

RP1

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Ship Design Concept (Black Swan)Posted: May 9th, 2012, 6:18 pm
Oh they work on a purely technical level. Unfortunately any savings in fuel is more than taken up by the extra crew needed to handle it and the sails themselves takes a long time to set and stow. (The original test ship had more than twice the crew of comparable designs.)
The operating profile doesn't seem to support it either. Sails are great for going long distances. To my knowledge warships spend most their time running around in a search patterns of some sort, especially the ones who does inshore work. The only time they operate in a fashion where the sails could be effective is when they're going to and from their patrol areas.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Ship Design Concept (Black Swan)Posted: May 9th, 2012, 6:22 pm
IIRC, the skysails also required the course to be a bit modified with the wind, letting the ship follow an less then ideal route as well.... if that is true, it is even less then ideal for an warship.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]  Return to โ€œOff Topicโ€

Jump to: