Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 5 of 58  [ 579 posts ]  Go to page « 13 4 5 6 758 »
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Post your picturePosted: August 16th, 2010, 6:36 pm
O.K. Just back from 3 1/2 weeks in Scotland, most of the time we were well away from the tourist routes; but, here are some we took:

First were at Dundee on the Discovery:

[ img ]
Really me still in the Admin lounge from the old site, wondering were all the others had got to!
But in fact its the wardroom on the Discovery, with Captain Scott's cabin just behind me

[ img ]
Lovingly restored ship; and I took loads of photo's to do her on Shipbucket

[ img ]
One of the shots.

[ img ]
Taken at Culloden, where some of my ancestors fought against another lot; and as usual in football the Scots lost the fixture. BTW, this badly posed shot is of me holding a 'Brown Bess', and it took a lot of strength to cock the flint all the way back - hence the term 'half cocked'

[ img ]
Not a good shot; but I'm holding a Claymore, with a Targe shield, and the Dirk held behind for downward slashing; all the weaponry of the Highland Scots, as well as the musket they discharged before charging, and the odd pistol in the belt for a final shot before cleaving with the sword. Strangely enough I found the Claymore to be a perfectly balanced weapon.

[ img ]
Taken from the top of the Glenfinnan monument on Loch Shiel. It was a strange climb but well worth the view.

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Post your picturePosted: August 16th, 2010, 6:45 pm
Very cool.

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: Post your picturePosted: August 18th, 2010, 3:46 pm
I must say you certainly look the part at the wheel PB.Apparently the way the Redcoats beat the Highland charge at Culloden was to bayonet the man to the right instead of the one directly in front.Looks like you had a nice holiday.

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Post your picturePosted: August 18th, 2010, 5:38 pm
Too right sport; the Highlander's tactic was to charge 'pell mell', and after discharging their muskets and throwing them down, to rush onto the enemy in a shock attack. With all the other European armies by then trained to fire musket volleys in disciplined lines this method threw them (the British army) into disaray. The Duke of Cumberland spent useful time in taining his men into using their long bayonets in an oblique parry - not at the man in front; but also, the Jacobites had to charge across boggy ground after being exhausted from an aborted nightime attack on Cumberlands army.

As a Scot descendent I found the Culloden field and visitors centre to be one of the best historical sites I've been priveleged to visit. Not least was the way in which the '45' revolt was placed into the (current) 'world war' being fought between France and Great Britain for world trade and Colonial Empire.
For the Stuarts - in the person of 'Bonnie' Prince Charles, it was a foolish adventure, that resulted in ruin for the Gaels, but did, finally, remove the fear of Jacobism as a source for French intervention in the Britsih Isles. Therafter, the rise of Great Britain to Empire and success was set in place; and within a short time the Gaels were being recruited into the British army as some of the best fighting men.

Having said all of the above; while walking across Culloden Moor, L.P. did ask me, if, dropped midway between the two armies, which side would I stand with? I had to confess it would have to be under the Saltire - so I would have been toast as well !!!

[Profile] [Quote]
Scifibug
Post subject: Re: Post your picturePosted: August 19th, 2010, 9:42 pm
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Post your picturePosted: August 22nd, 2010, 6:30 pm
Oldie but goodie (c. 2007).

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
TurretHead
Post subject: Re: Post your picturePosted: August 27th, 2010, 7:33 am
[ img ]
Signing my autograph for Army News. About 5 years ago.

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Post your picturePosted: August 28th, 2010, 2:04 pm
It looks like you're in the hatch of an ASLAV-25?

[Profile] [Quote]
socar37
Post subject: Re: Post your picturePosted: September 3rd, 2010, 3:26 am
Me during CPO indoc on USS Theodore Roosevelt, August 2007.

[ img ]

"Prepared In Mind & Resources"

[Profile] [Quote]
darthpanda
Post subject: Re: Post your picturePosted: September 9th, 2010, 9:42 pm
Gollevainen wrote:
Quote:
Sorry, but me thinks that title belongs to our local Sith Bear, Darth Panda. Given the chance I bet he'd do every ship in existence.
Hah, DP uses photoshop... :ugeek:

Nope.... still paint, didn't try photoshop yet.

My FB is: http://www.facebook.com/kwlo1
[ img ]

- RHKAAF / HKGFS - 皇家香港輔助空軍 / 政府飛行服務隊
- Gunbucket - LINK

天滅中共全黨死清光!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 5 of 58  [ 579 posts ]  Return to “Off Topic” | Go to page « 13 4 5 6 758 »

Jump to: