Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ] 
rifleman
Post subject: The flexibility of amphibious forcesPosted: January 16th, 2014, 10:23 am
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... R-OLD.html

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: The flexibility of amphibious forcesPosted: January 16th, 2014, 10:41 am
Who want to bet if aluminium trailer ramps are going to be standard issue on those boats?
Anyway, I must say they managed to repeat themselves quite a few times in that article.
Nice pictures of the landing craft though

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: The flexibility of amphibious forcesPosted: January 16th, 2014, 4:46 pm
This goes to show that in an emergency no idea is dumb.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: The flexibility of amphibious forcesPosted: January 16th, 2014, 7:10 pm
After thinking about it for a while the thing that struck me is just how clunky the process was. 10 year olds aside, the Councillor had to contact the Commodore who then presumably contacted the civilian side of the Admiralty, who then had to contact the Home Secretary so he could convene the Cobra commitee so it could greenlight the plan.
In other words they had to go all the way to the top of the national government in order to send four landing craft less than 30km up the river from HMNB Devonport.
All things considered that seems like an extremely clumsy way to handle things. It would seem to me that the military could do well with a lower level contact point and a briefing to the councils so they know what the navy can offer them and on what conditions. Because it's clear that the councillor hadn't even considered asking the navy.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: The flexibility of amphibious forcesPosted: January 16th, 2014, 7:20 pm
What strikes me, is that it was a 10 years old boy who thought about the idea. Iwould have thought that the local, or national authorities, had sence enough to solve the problem without resorting to ideas submitted by a child.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: The flexibility of amphibious forcesPosted: January 16th, 2014, 7:49 pm
The problem is that you're letting this guy lead your committees:

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Raxar
Post subject: Re: The flexibility of amphibious forcesPosted: January 17th, 2014, 12:37 am
:lol: Klag, that's exactly what I first thought of when I read "Cobra committee"!

"If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done." ~Ludwig Wittgenstein

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]  Return to “Off Topic”

Jump to: