Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Farewell to Two More USN Veterans.Posted: August 31st, 2014, 5:33 pm
The U.S. Navy has said its final goodbyes to two more of its old aircraft carriers. On 8 August 2014, the former U.S.S. Constellation (CV-64) departed Bremerton, WA for a 16,000-mile trip around the tip of South America to the scrapyard at Brownsville, TX. Thirteen days later, on 21 August, the former U.S.S. Saratoga (CV-60) departed Philadelphia, bound for the same place. The two ships will join their ex-fleetmate, the former U.S.S. Forrestal (CV-59) (which departed Philadelphia to meet her fate on 4 February 2014) at the American version of Alang.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... /14296479/
http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=82875

With these three gone, it leaves four conventional-powered carriers left awaiting their fates:

Bremerton, WA
ex-U.S.S. Ranger (CV-61)
ex-U.S.S. Independence (CV-62)
ex-U.S.S. Kitty Hawk (CV-63) (in Reserve status until 2015)

Philadelphia, PA
ex-U.S.S. John F. Kennedy (CV-67) (currently on Donation Hold)

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Farewell to Two More USN Veterans.Posted: August 31st, 2014, 6:06 pm
Time marches on.
Nevertheless, its always sad to see great ships gone. It would be great homage to them all if someone would actually drawn them into the bucket.

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: Farewell to Two More USN Veterans.Posted: August 31st, 2014, 6:33 pm
Gollevainen wrote:
Time marches on.
Nevertheless, its always sad to see great ships gone. It would be great homage to them all if someone would actually drawn them into the bucket.
"Hint, hint?"

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Farewell to Two More USN Veterans.Posted: August 31st, 2014, 6:35 pm
KHT wrote:
Gollevainen wrote:
Time marches on.
"Hint, hint?"
we have an team working on them (A dropbox team), but it have gone a bit slow lately. And I am just one that come in from time to time, with ideas and suggestions...

[Profile] [Quote]
darthpanda
Post subject: Re: Farewell to Two More USN Veterans.Posted: September 18th, 2014, 1:06 pm
My Saratoga CV-60 is almost 40%

- RHKAAF / HKGFS - 皇家香港輔助空軍 / 政府飛行服務隊
- Gunbucket - LINK

天滅中共全黨死清光!

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Farewell to Two More USN Veterans.Posted: September 18th, 2014, 3:49 pm
I'm going to take a stab in the dark here and say they're all going to end up being scrapped unless some of the museums decide to replace one of their existing ships.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Farewell to Two More USN Veterans.Posted: September 18th, 2014, 8:22 pm
Thiel wrote:
I'm going to take a stab in the dark here and say they're all going to end up being scrapped unless some of the museums decide to replace one of their existing ships.
The only carrier as a museum that is in good shape is Midway. She's got a good combination of being in a Navy town with a long history to draw a lot of volunteers. The rest of the museum ship 'carrier fleet' needs to be culled to maintain at least some level of sustainable funding for the survivors.

Any new ships are not plausible at this time.

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Farewell to Two More USN Veterans.Posted: September 20th, 2014, 5:31 pm
To my knowledge, the four other carriers that are museums are doing fairly well.

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Farewell to Two More USN Veterans.Posted: September 20th, 2014, 8:27 pm
emperor_andreas wrote:
To my knowledge, the four other carriers that are museums are doing fairly well.
I don't have any knowledge of Hornet or Lexington, but I've seen interior shots of Intrepid*, and she's in very bad shape. The news from Patriot's Point is that the crew association for the Yorktown has exerted such pull that the rest of the ships are in danger of sinking at their moorings. Hence my statement that the fleet should be culled.

*The Intrepid Museum ordered the images pulled down, but I saved them first, but now I can't find them.

[Profile] [Quote]
ailgin
Post subject: Re: Farewell to Two More USN Veterans.Posted: September 20th, 2014, 9:15 pm
TimothyC wrote:
emperor_andreas wrote:
I don't have any knowledge of Hornet or Lexington, but I've seen interior shots of Intrepid*, and she's in very bad shape. The news from Patriot's Point is that the crew association for the Yorktown has exerted such pull that the rest of the ships are in danger of sinking at their moorings. Hence my statement that the fleet should be culled.

*The Intrepid Museum ordered the images pulled down, but I saved them first, but now I can't find them.
Sabotage? :shock: In all seriousness, the Intrepid Museum is very cool, but the last time I went must have been 5 years ago. I think that she should take some precedence since she also has a Concorde, a sub, and a space shuttle.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 13 posts ]  Return to “Off Topic” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: