Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ] 
TrebleisMyMiddleName
Post subject: Do YOU know this Yugoslavian admiral?Posted: September 29th, 2014, 1:41 am
So, my best friend is Croatian, and she mentioned in passing that her great-grandfather was an admiral in the Yugoslavian navy. I inquired further, and she said she actually didn't know that much about him, other than that his name was Viktor Wickerhauser, and that he was an admiral. I offered to do some research on him, and what better place to do that than here? I'm not well-versed in the ins and outs of the Yugoslavian navy, but I figure someone on here must be.

My Shipbucket List (See what I did there?)

Balkans AU Concept - Postponed for now, maybe
Some other AU thing

[Profile] [Quote]
TrebleisMyMiddleName
Post subject: Re: Do YOU know this Yugoslavian admiral?Posted: September 29th, 2014, 2:21 am
Okay, I've got some information on him, but I was wondering if anyone knew what ships were under his command.

My Shipbucket List (See what I did there?)

Balkans AU Concept - Postponed for now, maybe
Some other AU thing

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Do YOU know this Yugoslavian admiral?Posted: September 29th, 2014, 4:48 am
all I could find in a short time period:

http://books.google.no/books?id=O8xHL01 ... er&f=false

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Do YOU know this Yugoslavian admiral?Posted: September 29th, 2014, 6:27 pm
Google offers some information, but it seems to be rather in Croatian.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Do YOU know this Yugoslavian admiral?Posted: October 8th, 2014, 1:27 pm
Without having done any research yet (since I'm writing this from my work) the name Victor Wickerhauser sounds suspiciously like an Austrian name. He may have been Croatian, but likely with a Schwabian (South-German) descent. I'd start looking into the rosters of the K.u.K navy to better identify him.

[Profile] [Quote]
ONI-Defense
Post subject: Re: Do YOU know this Yugoslavian admiral?Posted: October 8th, 2014, 1:55 pm
He's mentioned in the book "The Naval Policy of Austro-Hungary" as a Rear Admiral in command of the Danube Flotilla in 1917. Austro-Hungary was split apart at the end of WWI, and part of the Danube Flotilla ships were confiscated by the newly formed Kingdom of Yugoslavia. It is likely that Wickerhauser kept his rank and position in the new Royal Yugoslav Navy.

Here's a list of Royal Yugoslav ships: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sh ... oslav_Navy

I speculate that Rear Admiral Wickerhauser was in command of the River Fleet which included four Ex-Austro-Hungarian monitors that were renamed Vardar, Sava, Drava, and Morava, which originally served in the Danube Flotilla.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]  Return to “Off Topic”

Jump to: