Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 1 post ] 
bezobrazov
Post subject: Centenary of the Sinking of R.M.S. LusitaniaPosted: May 7th, 2015, 7:03 pm
Today, May 7th, 2015, marks a tragic centenary: one hundred years ago, the proud Cunard Royal Mail Steamer Lusitania met her fate as she was torpedoed off Old Head of Kinsale, S. W. Ireland by the Imperial German Navy Uboot U20 commanded by Kapitänleutnant Walter Schwieger.
Captain of the "Lucy" was the veteran Cunard Commodore William Thomas Turner. 1,198 out of 1,959 people aboard the steamer perished when the Atlantic Greyhound suddenly exploded (either by the release of coal dust, igniting when the boiler fires were tipped over, or by contraband munitions stored in the hold).
She was torpedoed only once, and it has been attested that this hit did not cause the massive explosion, that plunged the gigantic liner into the depths of the Atlantic.
Of 139 U.S citizens travelling (foolhardly) onboard her, 128 lost their lives, and, inspite of reasonable and clear German warnings to travel on her, or, for that matter, on any belligerent passenger vessels, this event eventually helped lead up to the U.S. Declaration of War against Germany, on April 7, 1917.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 1 post ]  Return to “Off Topic”

Jump to: